First Name
Darin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
M3, CT triM
Country flag
"fleeing", "extremely", "unfriendly"... uh-huh

He's moving the HQ but R&D stays in Palo Alto, Fremont continues, Space X and Boring do their thing in SoCal. Billionaires don't flee, they tell the admin staff where the office address is going to be.
Sponsored

flowerlandfilms

First Name
Eryk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yamaha SRV-250, Honda Odyssey RB1
Occupation
Film Maker
Country flag
...Elon Musk is a very intelligent man...
...but every intelligent man is also a primitive ape...
...and we still have some primitive ape parts of our brain that say "Don't take my bananas!"...
...even when we have billions of bananas...
...even when we are the most banana wealthy ape in the world...

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X LR+, Lexus SUV, Toyota SR5, Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
Billionaires don't flee, they tell the admin staff where the office address is going to be.
And they tell them to put it in a place where the employees will want to live and can find a nice place based on salaries that allow the endeavor to make the product at a price the market can support.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
...Elon Musk is a very intelligent man...
...but every intelligent man is also a primitive ape...
...and we still have some primitive ape parts of our brain that say "Don't take my bananas!"...
...even when we have billions of bananas...
...even when we are the most banana wealthy ape in the world...
Felicitations to our friends in Queensland!

"While Darwinian Man, though well-behav'd,
At best is only a monkey shav'd!"
W. S. Gilbert

DarinCT

First Name
Darin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
M3, CT triM
Country flag
And they tell them to put it in a place where the employees will want to live and can find a nice place based on salaries that allow the endeavor to make the product at a price the market can support.
Yes, that was California for 17 years. The product has and will be sold outside of the state. If you want to hate on California, by all means, but show some proof. Musk was butt-hurt because a public health officer told him to close his plant. He was moving Tesla and himself to GigaTexas anyways so he takes shots at California. It's the equivalent of "fine, I didn't want to play there anyways :p " Dude, whatever, as long as you make my CyberTruck.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
Hate California? I think it’s a real pity what happened there but I certainly don’t hate the place.

Rather than providing chapter and verse in support of what I thought was common knowledge let me just recommend a web search on “companies leaving California”

Dids

First Name
Les
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
04 Tacoma, 23 Cybertruck
Occupation
Self
Country flag
I don't think money has anything to do with Elon Musk moving. I think we put more value on money than he does. He has said several times that for him money is an entry in a database and this makes sense. If he was a money hoarder he would not use his wealth on such risky endeavors. A billion is sufficient to buy pretty much anything any person could desire for a lifetime. If you have more than that the only thing it is good for is creating the things you desire that do not exist. I think California is a more difficult business environment than Texas, mostly because California is a more difficult ecological environment. I think Elon chooses the way forward best for his goal and Texas is better for huge factories, space ports etc. I bet taxes are so low on the list that he never even thought of it.

DarinCT

First Name
Darin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
M3, CT triM
Country flag
Hate California? I think it’s a real pity what happened there but I certainly don’t hate the place.

Rather than providing chapter and verse in support of what I thought was common knowledge let me just recommend a web search on “companies leaving California”
You really don't hear yourself do you?

Traditionally, firms go through four phases. Startup where costs are high and income low, growth where costs and income are high, and then they leave California. See... You have to be a successful company to leave California. It's not a pity, it's an environment that works well for certain companies at certain times in their cycle. There will be economic cycles as well that produce more or less of these successes and departures.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Musk is fleeing California for the same reason so many other businesses and people are. California has an extremely high cost of living and is very unfriendly to business relative to Texas.
This is what he's said...

...But there is no evidence for the 'unfriendly to business' or 'so many are leaving'.

The number or value of companies has not decreased, and that some number of people have made their wad and left town doesn't mean there is any mass movement to leave. The population continues to increase.

-Crissa

GnarlyDudeLive

First Name
Darin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 F350 Dually (Tri-CT reservation)
Occupation
Database Administrator
Country flag
This is what he's said...

...But there is no evidence for the 'unfriendly to business' or 'so many are leaving'.

-Crissa
For the second year in a row, more people left the state than moved there. The result was a net migration loss of 135,600 people. https://www.abc10.com/article/news/...s population,migration loss of 135,600 people.

https://www.sunset.com/home-garden/real-estate/california-losing-residents-us-census

Far too many to list but you could simply google: is california losing population

GnarlyDudeLive

First Name
Darin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 F350 Dually (Tri-CT reservation)
Occupation
Database Administrator
Country flag
It will be interesting to see how things play out for the very rich companies in Silicone Valley. On one had they are liberal but on the other hand the Democratic party wants to put the tax squeeze on those same very rich companies. Didn't Oracle also just leave Cali?

Dids

First Name
Les
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
04 Tacoma, 23 Cybertruck
Occupation
Self
Country flag
For the second year in a row, more people left the state than moved there. The result was a net migration loss of 135,600 people. https://www.abc10.com/article/news/...s population,migration loss of 135,600 people.

https://www.sunset.com/home-garden/real-estate/california-losing-residents-us-census

Far too many to list but you could simply google: is california losing population
California has a population of almost 40 million people. Yes 140,000 seems like a lot and it would be in comparison to Wyoming but its hardly a huge shift in population. California has been hit hard by environmental disasters and population moves after because their houses are gone. New Orleans 6 years after Katrina had 200,000 fewer residents and that's a single city. High housing costs in California do not show a excess of housing so it can't possibly be contracting at any great rate.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
Yes, believe they did. Along with Schwab (that's another one I didn't know about).

But let's keep in mind that Larry Ellison nor Elon Musk care that they have to pay $3 a gallon for gas and $0.30 for a kWh. Their concern is being able to make conditions acceptable to their employees. Even 30 years ago the companies I worked with in Silicon Valley were having trouble getting engineers because the guys couldn't afford to live in Silicon Valley. They wound up opening satellite offices in other states.

Of course Ellison and Musk do care about the fey politics in the Bear Flag Republic because they have to operate under them.

I think California is largely the victim of its own success. Too many people flocked there. Of course the fey politics didn't help.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
This is flatly incorrect. You aren't counting the birth rate or immigration. Almost four times more were born in California. The death rate plus the net US migration together are still less than the birth rate by almost a hundred thousand a year.

-Crissa

Owner13669

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Bolt
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
The median Democratic elected official has less net worth than the median Republican.
https://www.opensecrets.org/personal-finances
And the median Democratic politician more closely matches the median American in political position than Republicans
https://www.forbes.com/sites/kenrap...licans-differ-on-matters-of-wealth--equality/

Yeah, but that means fewer places for us to charge our vehicles. Gotta have the demand to prompt the market to give the supply.

-Crissa
Biden has ridden a train to work for years. And yet people want to portray him as something totally different.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.