Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Right now, there's not much difference in the actual chemistry between the two - it's mostly home much of the battery cell they're using. So if you use only 40% to 60% you get that ten-fold battery cycles over using 0-90%.

In the near future you could select LFP instead of straight up lithium polymer cells and get longer life cycles at the cost of energy density.

But as a power backup... how often would you really need it?

-Crissa

chalupacabre

First Name
chalupacabre
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 T3LR/DM
Occupation
vetter
Country flag
I have seen several references to Elon not wanting to reverse power a house from a Tesla mostly stating it would degrade the batteries. On the other hand, F-150 Lightning will have a 80 amp 240 Intelligent Backup Power System which will power a house for days. I really feel this is an important feature for the Cybertrk given it utility and large battery pack. I have held off buying a generator or Powerwall just with a hope that he will still make this happen.

https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/...ectric-pickup-intelligent-backup-power-house/
Little simplified, and show me a picture of that house switch board plug into the Lightning HV system. Me thinks there's a piece of hardware missing here.
Why would Tesla compete power wall with EVs? Can you say conflicting biddness model?
Buy these legacy EV newbie vehicles, but be warned that they have a steep learning curve. Look at the Chevy Bolt battery fail, or the Volvo & VW software failures. Be my guest, own their failures, Ford's next.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Why would Tesla compete power wall with EVs? Can you say conflicting biddness model?
It's not in competition. It's in addition to. Most vehicles spend most of their lives sitting still. That's a huge amount of potential batteries that could be tapped into to balance power consumption. Most houses use the most power while their EVs sit around idle.

Even my small motorcycle contains enough power to run my house climate control for over twelve hours.

As has been pointed out, Tesla is maxed out in batteries they can make - so finding more uses for the ones that are out there means more sales of hardware, and more ability for the grid to absorb more renewable energy.

-Crissa

boomer45

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi Q5 / Jeep
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
Country flag
Acting as a battery backup, the Ford is every bit as good as the Tesla. Maybe better. Depends largely on price/ kWh.

Unlike any previous Tesla, there is a 220v outlet on the Cybertruck so using the Cybertruck as a manual battery backup for your home can be done fairly easily. Just takes a bit of know-how.
Please explain how it can be done?

jhogan2424

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Moped
Turn main breaker off. Plug truck into a dryer outlet. Your lights come on. A few steps skipped (transfer switch etc) for simplicity sake but that’s how.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X LR+, Lexus SUV, Toyota SR5, Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
In any of the ways you would power your house with a portable generator of about the same capacity.

Turn main breaker off. Plug truck into a dryer outlet. Your lights come on. A few steps skipped (transfer switch etc) for simplicity sake but that’s how.
And this isn't one of them. Please don't do this. It is illegal and dangerous but I suspect many an idiot has done it. If you wish to join their ranks at least open your service disconnect. If you don't your generator will probably choke and die as soon as you plug it in anyway. The proper way is with a panel such as this one
https://www.amazon.com/EGS107501G2K...jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

Last edited:

Frank W

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2007 Toyota Tacoma
Occupation
Retired Army 1975-1997
Country flag
A.J. while I’m sure that it’s been covered some place here already I’m curious if you opted for the Tesla home charging option or you had installed another option at your homes. I’m planning on waiting until I actually get the Cybertruck before having a system installed and also seeing if anything different comes out with it. I do have sufficient space on my 400 amp service. I’m completely lost on math explanations that you have responded on other threads so please try to keep in simple terms. I am aware though of the need for the transfer switch for a home generator/battery to isolate from the grid.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X LR+, Lexus SUV, Toyota SR5, Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
A.J. while I’m sure that it’s been covered some place here already I’m curious if you opted for the Tesla home charging option or you had installed another option at your homes.
I originally installed a Gen 2 HPWC on a 100 A circuit in my existing garage and later added a second on that same circuit (as one could do with the Gen 2). I later built a separate "charging garage" for anticipated new BEV (R1T & CT) but they finished it before either arrived so it sits empty. In there I put a pair of Gen 3 HPWC each on its own circuit and a Wallbox Quasar unit for the Rivian. The Tesla units will charge the Rivian and the Quasar will charge the Tesla's.

I’m planning on waiting until I actually get the Cybertruck before having a system installed and also seeing if anything different comes out with it.
There is absolutely no reason for urgency unless you are building something now and need to get wires in walls for neat concealment or something like that.

I am aware though of the need for the transfer switch for a home generator/battery to isolate from the grid.
This makes me suspect that perhaps you are really asking about how I backup the house and/or charge when the utility is down.

The main house is equipped with solar backed up by the utility and a generator. I don't charge when the sun is in unless I have to and don't charge with the generator unless it is absolutely necessary which it never has been. The new garage is as much an experiment as a place to park and charge the cars. It is not connected to the utility thus it runs completely on solar when the sun is out and on Powerwalls (and I just had a call to the effect that the Powerwalls may be delivered in my lifetime) when it isn't. This system is backed up by a separate generator (and interestingly enough I had another phone message today that the generator has been delivered to the installer).

The main house generator connects to the main house through a transfer switch made by the generator manufacturer (Briggs and Stratton). In the new garage as there is no utility there is no need for a transfer switch as there is no possibility of islanding but the generator must be isolated from the system when solar is operating and so the "gateway" which normally does the transfer switch function in a Powerwall/utility system does generator isolation in an off grid system.

Last edited:

Frank W

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2007 Toyota Tacoma
Occupation
Retired Army 1975-1997
Country flag
Thanks for the info and I am patiently waiting on the CT before I do anything. I’m not needing to build anything at all thankfully and the CT will fit in my garage.
Sorry, I didn’t mean to be confusing regarding the transfer switch. I only added that because I keep reading of people wanting to do dangerous things with regards to powering a house off of the Lighting or Cybertruck. I have a basic understanding of the dangers of doing that illegally.

jhogan2424

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Moped
In any of the ways you would power your house with a portable generator of about the same capacity.

And this isn't one of them. Please don't do this. It is illegal and dangerous but I suspect many an idiot has done it. If you wish to join their ranks at least open your service disconnect. If you don't your generator will probably choke and die as soon as you plug it in anyway. The proper way is with a panel such as this one
https://www.amazon.com/EGS107501G2K...jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==
The guy is an electrical engineer. I told him what he wanted someone to say.
Sponsored