Louis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model s 2017
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Just asking, do you thing when we buy th ct we get free supercharging?
Sponsored

OP
OP

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X LR+, Lexus SUV, Toyota SR5, Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
No. I don't. Free charging has always been used as a means to generate sales. Originally there were no sales so they offered it to everyone. More recently they wanted to increase sales of the more profitable X and S so they gave it to buyers of those cars. With the CT they have already "sold" years worth of production. They do not need to push the sales of those vehicles so no, you will not get free supercharging. But if you give someone your referral code and that person subsequently buys a Tesla you will probably get 1000 miles free supercharging.

Civic1993

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Prius
Occupation
Sales
Country flag
A CT is going to require 400 - 500 Wh/mi.??
just curious. Why you think it will be worse than model x in power consumption. From what I hear the weight may not be more and I can’t imagine it would be that bad from aerodynamic drag alone?

Cyberman

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150,F550, Escape
Occupation
Cybercontractor
Country flag
Fast charging? Not worried here. Elon summed it up perfectly:
"on a long trip, if you have to refuel, don't worry. Take your wife to dinner, it's free! Because instead of paying $100 to fill up you gas guzzler, you're only going to pay about $10 for a charge"
How can I argue with that logic?

OP
OP

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
just curious. Why you think it will be worse than model x in power consumption. From what I hear the weight may not be more and I can’t imagine it would be that bad from aerodynamic drag alone?
The weight indeed might not be more but I am guessing it probably will be. The X has lots of aluminum in it. The CT doesn't. Now if the CT can turn in X like (280 Wh/mi) like consumption it can get by with a 142 kW battery. That's 42% more weight than the battery in the X which weighs a lot. If the consumption is 400 Wh/mi it's going to require a 200 kWh battery (twice the size of the X's) and battery weight will be double. Which is substantial.

Look at an X. It's shaped like a bullet. Look at a CT. It isn't. I can't conceive of it having a drag coefficient less than that of the X. But perhaps it will.

Perhaps the thing that most compels me to think consumption will be in this range is that ABRP who, I presume, are smarter than I am about such matters, uses 485 Wh/mi in its planner.

OP
OP

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
Fast charging? Not worried here. Elon summed it up perfectly:
"on a long trip, if you have to refuel, don't worry. Take your wife to dinner, it's free! Because instead of paying $100 to fill up you gas guzzler, you're only going to pay about $10 for a charge"
How can I argue with that logic?
The realities of it are that charging is fast enough that you won't have time to sit down for dinner, a charge is now more like $14 (in an X, as a CT will burn more Wh/mi it will be more for an CT) and that as people who can afford Teslas don't really care whether it is $10 or $14 it is the time that is of much greater concern.

Last edited:

Dids

First Name
Les
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
04 Tacoma, 23 Cybertruck
Occupation
Self
Country flag
A 200kwh would be double the weight of a model X battery? Wouldn't it be the same weight? Someone ignoring battery day?

ldjessee

First Name
Lloyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Leaf, MYLR, Kaw 1700 Vaquero
Occupation
Business Intelligence Manager & Analyst
Country flag
A 200kwh would be double the weight of a model X battery? Wouldn't it be the same weight? Someone ignoring battery day?
It is interesting in that it looks like Model Y will be made at Austin first, then CyberTruck from the latest earnings letter that came out today.

Dids

First Name
Les
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
04 Tacoma, 23 Cybertruck
Occupation
Self
Country flag
It is interesting in that it looks like Model Y will be made at Austin first, then CyberTruck from the latest earnings letter that came out today.
They didn't mention CT did they? I saw where they say model Y will be made in texas but didn't see where they say anything about CT

ldjessee

First Name
Lloyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
It just lists the CT and Semi as 'United States'.

Owner13669

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Bolt
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
They didn't mention CT did they? I saw where they say model Y will be made in texas but didn't see where they say anything about CT
Supposedly two buildings in Austin, separated by a road for Tesla Semi. Covered, I think? Battery production, Model Y, the Cybertruck, and the Semi will be made there, I believe. It’s possible/likely that there will be other buildings on the property. They also bought a second property, I believe on the other side of the highway.

ldjessee

First Name
Lloyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag

Owner13669

First Name