Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dodge Ram diesel
Occupation
Retired
Country flag

Tesla’s first 8k-ton Giga Press for Cybertruck production showcased in new video

Posted on March 19, 2021

During Tesla’s Q4 and FY 2020 earnings call, CEO Elon Musk remarked that the Cybertruck, the company’s all-electric pickup, will require a Giga Press that’s larger than the already-massive machines installed for the Model Y rear underbody in the Fremont Factory. A video of the first of these machines was recently shared by IDRA Group, the company that produces the house-sized die-casting contraptions.

While IDRA did not name Tesla directly in its video, the Italy-based company noted that a leading manufacturer of electric cars has ordered its first 8,000-ton die-casting machine. Apart from being an evident reference to Tesla, IDRA’s mention of the machine’s specs also mirrors that of Elon Musk’s statements during the previous earnings call. While addressing an analyst’s inquries, the CEO noted that the Cybertruck would be “using an 8,000-ton casting press for (its) rear body casting.”

“Once again, IDRA makes a world’s first for technological innovation, and we are very proud to announce that today, on the 16th of March 2021, we’ve been able to secure the first order for an 8,000-ton die-casting machine. This order is being placed by a leading global manufacturer for new energy vehicles,” IDRA General Manager Riccardo Ferrario said.

The Tesla Model Y is being produced with a Giga Press, a formidable machine capable of producing the all-electric crossover’s single-piece rear underbody. The Model Y’s Giga Press is a 6,000-ton contraption, but as Musk mentioned during the Q4 and FY 2020 earnings call, since the Cybertruck is a larger vehicle, it would require an even larger die-casting machine. Interestingly enough, the IDRA General Manager mentioned in the company’s recent video that the 8,000-ton press is designed to create components for large vehicles like the Cybertruck, among others.

“This giant machine will be used for the production of chassis components of larger vehicles such as pickup trucks, full electric lightweight goods vehicles, and SUVs. It is a maestro, and not only shows the capabilities of IDRA’s technical superiority, but also validates the many, many years of hard work that have gone into realizing this project,” Ferrario said.

Particularly noteworthy in IDRA’s video was the General Manager’s mention of other vehicles like SUVs and full electric lightweight goods vehicles that could be produced during the 8,000-ton Giga Press. Considering that the 8,000-ton Giga Press can create larger parts, the idea of a Tesla transit van or perhaps a large, full-size SUV may be feasible. Elon Musk noted in his Master Plan, Part Deux, that Tesla would be expanding its EV lines to address major segments, after all. With this in mind, the Cybertruck’s Giga Press could very well be the machine that takes Tesla a step closer to completing the second phase of Musk’s grand strategy.

Watch a video of the Cybertruck’s 8,000-ton Giga Press in the video below.

SOURCE: TESLARATI
Sponsored

D101010

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 MYP
Country flag
I wonder if the new foundations being put down in Austin indicate they're starting with two of these.

-Crissa
I think these will go next to the existing press site in Austin. The end that has yet to be built out but has the geopier equipment itching to start. I bet they needed final designs before they could plan.

VolklKatana

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Website
ts.la
Vehicles
2019 Tesla M3 LR AWD FSD, CT3 reserved
Occupation
Data Architect
Country flag
I wonder if the new foundations being put down in Austin indicate they're starting with two of these.

-Crissa
I watch those videos every couple of days and from what I've gathered, those 2 new foundations are likely for the huge modular battery racks seen in a number of tesla battery videos lately. Sources on the site have said that this is the battery manufacturing area. :41-:42 in this video

If you look at the current construction the MY press sits at the end of a long bay. The middle bay also has the mounts for a crane as well, I believe this will be where the CT press will be. 19:35 in this video

Daweism

First Name
Dawei
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Ford Raptor (Supercab)
Occupation
Tech
Country flag
I need my Cybertruck soon - GME is ready to blow

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
I think these will go next to the existing press site in Austin. The end that has yet to be built out but has the geopier equipment itching to start. I bet they needed final designs before they could plan.
I don’t know. Yes, they have the geopier drills over there, but what about all those steel posts, way more than enough for the section between the two buildings. If they are going to build a ‘regular’ building there, maybe the 8-ton casting machine(s) will go under the current concrete section, on the east side, thus reducing the number of casting machines overall.

Diehard

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Olds Aurora V8, Saturn Sky redline, Lightning, CT2
Country flag

-Crissa
He said in the video order is for “an 8000 lb casting machine”. I think it is safe to assume it will be one. It would make sense since no one has ever built one of these or mass produced a CT, Tesla would want to see how it pans out with real world load test, crash test,....... to make sure both the design and cast is good. If it is, since they have done it once, they should be able to do the second one fairly quick. I have a feeling if there ever is a second one, it may be as a backup because existing machines work mighty fast (Cycle time of 80 Sec), if they run it 40 hr a week, that is 83,000+ CTs. If the rest of the line can keep up, then they can run the robots longer. And add shifts for humans.

Is IDRA rebranded HYDRA?

duck

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GMC Sierra
Country flag
I don't think the new giga press is what we're seeing in the photos. He says in the video that he is announcing that they have secured an order for the first 8000 ton die casting machine. Hasn't been built yet. The pics match what we've already seen.

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
I don’t know. Yes, they have the geopier drills over there, but what about all those steel posts, way more than enough for the section between the two buildings. If they are going to build a ‘regular’ building there, maybe the 8-ton casting machine(s) will go under the current concrete section, on the east side, thus reducing the number of casting machines overall.
Sorry 8,000 tons

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
He said in the video order is for “an 8000 lb casting machine”. I think it is safe to assume it will be one. It would make sense since no one has ever built one of these or mass produced a CT, Tesla would want to see how it pans out with real world load test, crash test,....... to make sure both the design and cast is good. If it is, since they have done it once, they should be able to do the second one fairly quick. I have a feeling if there ever is a second one, it may be as a backup because existing machines work mighty fast (Cycle time of 80 Sec), if they run it 40 hr a week, that is 83,000+ CTs. If the rest of the line can keep up, then they can run the robots longer. And add shifts for humans.

Is IDRA rebranded HYDRA?
They ordered several of the 6,000 Ton versions for the Model Y in Berlin and for the Model 3/Y in Shanghai. They have 2 at Fremont for the Model 3/Y so I would expect them to get at least 2 for the Cybertruck. The question on all of our minds is (not where they will go) when will we see one arrive in Austin.

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
We know that they make 180 machines a year (average 15 per month) but we don't know how many are backordered or what the lead time is. I imagine that, for gigapresses, Tesla is maybe the only customer, but they still have to get in line. They probably ordered the 6,000-ton machine that they already installed at Austin back when they decided to build in Austin, which makes one wonder where the other 6,000-ton machines are. If we simply extrapolate to February, when they might have ordered the 8,000-ton machine, then they might not get the first one until later in the summer.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
There are multiple lines at the Austin factory, and so far they've installed presses into each of the corners. At least, that's what it looks like.

The pics match what we've already seen.
It's not going to look all that much different.

-Crissa

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
I don't think the new giga press is what we're seeing in the photos. He says in the video that he is announcing that they have secured an order for the first 8000 ton die casting machine. Hasn't been built yet. The pics match what we've already seen.
That pic was clearly the 6,000-ton machine. It says so right on it. OL-6100 CS. Same model as is in Giga Austin right now. So they don't even have one to show us yet. They might still be designing the thing :-(
Sponsored