Ford CEO On Mustang Mach-E Vs. Tesla Model S Plaid Drag Race: “A Good Idea”

DMC-81

First Name
Dana
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Transformers Camaro SS, 1985 Corvette Z51, Dodge Magnum R/T, 1981 DeLorean, CT reservation
Country flag
No worries. Given your age, I'm sure that the Mustang II is ancient history for you. But I'm only a few years older, and I remember the crappy car and the lasting negative brand effects very well. In fact, at an early car buying age, it turned me off from ever considering buying a Mustang.

As to the parallel, the point is that Ford made the second generation of the Mustang an economy car, and a poorly executed one at that. More here: https://www.liveabout.com/second-generation-mustang-photo-gallery-4123130

Thankfully, Camaros in the same era didn't follow suit. As for the Mach-E, to each their own. As for me, I hold Ford in contempt for the mis-use of the Mustang brand... again.

The electric Corvette will never be a CUV. I'm not so sure about the electric Camaro though.
I think you are right. Corvette owners are one of the most vocal groups, and Chevrolet considers and solicits their feedback carefully. I'm all for electrification of a vehicle, as long as it stays true to the brand. An electric Corvette? Sure, can't wait, but it has to follow the basic tenets of the car's formula (2 seat sports car, etc.). Same idea for the Camaro (a 2+2 sports coupe). If Chevrolet wants an electric SUV/CUV, they can go ahead IMO, but please call it something else.
Sponsored

DMC-81

First Name
Dana
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Transformers Camaro SS, 1985 Corvette Z51, Dodge Magnum R/T, 1981 DeLorean, CT reservation
Country flag
Have you seen the ICE Mustang vs its heritage? It's ginormous.

-Crissa
Yes, recent versions especially the upper trim levels gradually added strength to the brand, and then Ford added the badge to an electric SUV/CUV, which is my point.

I didn't say that it was. The parallel is that in both instances (1) the Mustang II and (2) the Mustang Mach-E, Ford strayed away from the core identity of a Mustang - which in the buyer's minds is a Pony car:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pony_car

The Mach-E may be an excellent electric SUV/CUV, but my point is that Ford should have called it something other than a Mustang.

In their customer base's minds, THIS is a Mustang (2021 Mach 1 trim level shown):

Tesla Cybertruck Ford CEO On Mustang Mach-E Vs. Tesla Model S Plaid Drag Race: “A Good Idea” 2021-ford-mustang-mach-1

Case in point: My friend always bought Mustangs since high school (~30 years). The last time he traded (2017 or so) the new model that fit his budget was in his own words, "a turbo 4 cylinder, with a body as long as a Taurus" . He walked away from the Mustang and Ford entirely.

in my opinion, If you want to keep your brand pure as possible, you cant be all things to all people.

DMC-81

First Name
Dana
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Seems like the Mach-E isn't the problem, then, now is it?

-Crissa
" ..A brilliant deduction Holmes." :)

(from Sherlock Holmes)

Quicksilver

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan van
Occupation
Retired military
Country flag
CEO verses CEO in a heads up race in their respective EV's on a 1/4 mile track.
Winner takes the losers car home.

Friday

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
The only way there is going to be a sanctioned, recognized drag race is that both EV vehicles will have to have roll cages and also dual drag chutes. I've been watching a YT channel called Tesla Plaid Channel. Basically a guy with a Plaid S going to drag strips on "run what ya brung" nights. He goes up against no sh*t fast ICE vehicles and could easily smoke them, but has to feather it to stay within a fender and the rules of the strip or gets kicked out. It's actually great fun to watch him plan to barely win each race to stay "legal".

I checked out the "rules" for top speed vs. vehicle mods and for the EV capable top speeds its cages and chutes required. So F*rd can prance all they want now for a EV that doesn't exist yet, but neither the MME 1400 or the Plaid S are gonna be unmodified version off the production line if this race can happen at a sanctioned dragstrip.

Last edited:

jhogan2424

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Moped
The only way there is going to be a sanctioned, recognized drag race is that both vehicles will have to have roll cages and also dual drag chutes. I've been watching a YT channel called
Typically a quarter mile in 9 second range requires 4 point cage and a mph over 150 a chute. I‘m going feom memory but that’s pretty close. Some mom and pop tracks won’t enforce but most tracks especially ones that host NHRA etc will. Kill switches required on rear bumper too but I dunno how that works on EVs. I’m betting a plaid wouldn’t have too hard a time hitting those numbers.

Last edited:

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
I checked out the "rules" for top speed vs. vehicle mods and for the EV capable top speeds its cages and chutes required. So F*rd can prance all they want now for a EV that doesn't exist yet, but neither the MME 1400 or the Plaid S are gonna be unmodified version off the production line if this race can happen at a sanctioned dragstrip.
Don't see why this would need to be a sanctioned event. Just rent an airport runway and some timing equipment. Top Gear does this kind of thing all the time.

tmeyer3

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, Wrangler, Tractors
Occupation
Computer Scientist
Country flag
Well here's a model Y vs a mach e. Not sure which trim that mach e is though.
Sponsored