Ford Mach-e: Smell the gas!

HaulingAss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150, 2018 Model 3 P, FS DM Cybertruck
Country flag
This is crazy!

The article says that Ford "commissioned a survey where 1 out of 5 drivers said they would miss the smell of petrol after transitioning to an electric vehicle. According to Ford’s survey, 70% of the participants claimed they would miss the smell of petrol to some degree, while 24% stated they would miss the performance of ICE vehicles after the transition."

The "performance" of ICE vehicles? So much ignorance. Apparently, a lot of sad people thought they would miss the performance of ICE engines and even more would miss the smell of gasoline after the world went EV!

I wonder what ICE "performance" particulars they would miss? Would it be the building anticipation caused by the delay that happened every time the accelerator was floored as the transmission decided how many gears to downshift and the big old crankshaft was coaxed into spinning at a different speed?

:ROFLMAO: - 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:

Sirfun

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Chrysler Pacifica PHEV, Ford E-250
Occupation
Retired Sheet Metal Worker
Country flag
There is a distinct smell between 60's ICE and current. My 2 sons both loved, and miss the smell of my 63 Ranchero. You can even smell the 60's vehicles a block ahead of you driving. It has a hint of unburnt gas.
Now do I want fake smells? Hell NO!

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X LR+, Lexus SUV, Toyota SR5, Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
You can’t smell the difference between leaded and non-leaded gasoline.… You have to taste it!
I'm not so sure about that. Never did an experiment. 2,2,4 Trimethyl Pentane (iso-octane) has a solvently smell for sure but it does not smell like gasoline (of which it is the major constituent) so the aditives in there definitely influence the aroma.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X LR+, Lexus SUV, Toyota SR5, Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
Quite seriously, there is a long standing problem in Australia where the young (insert politically correct term for the indigenous people) sniff gasoline to the point of intoxication.