Les
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
04 Tacoma, 23 Cybertruck
Occupation
Self
Country flag
Maybe hang it off the bottom of bumper with some sort of stanless hinge. When you're booting along it flips up on its own.....
Yah, you'd probably get pulled over and told to fix it. Just having fun with different ideas.
Pisses me off that we have to have it, ruins the look of our Model 3, plus all the time Tesla puts into streamlining the design to make slippery.
Tesla really should have designed the vehicles to accept a front plate. C'mon Elon. Laser windshield wipers but I gotta drill holes in it to drive it legal.
Sponsored

Ehninger1212

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A3 E-Tron - 2005 Land Rover LR3 - T-Bucket - 1951 chevy 3100
Occupation
Architect/Fabricator
Country flag
Mine is going to be attached with 3M double sided tape and contoured to fit the front bumper. Same thing i did to attach my front plate to my ARB bumper on my land rover. 4 years and still attached. No screws, holes, magnets or anything.

Ehninger1212

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Architect/Fabricator
Country flag
Remember those spring plates with the gas cap behind it? The front plate should be designed in the vehicle on a spring flap to cover the winch .
I had a license plate mount for my winch roller fairlead before I went to the 3M tape.. that license plate is at the bottom of some water crossing in East Texas.

Newton

First Name
Newton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
p̶r̶i̶u̶s̶ c̶,̶ y̶o̶t̶a̶ p̶i̶c̶k̶u̶p, ⼕丫⻏?尺セ尺ㄩ⼕长
Country flag
Mine is going to be attached with 3M double sided tape and contoured to fit the front bumper. Same thing i did to attach my front plate to my ARB bumper on my land rover. 4 years and still attached. No screws, holes, magnets or anything.
the 3m VHB tape is amazing stuff.

dano0726

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 Jeep JK Wrangler
Occupation
Treasury Finance Insurance
Country flag
To those who cruise around with the front plate affixed inside/on the dashboard -- is there ever any glare and is this legal (say in TX)?

Newton

First Name
Newton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
p̶r̶i̶u̶s̶ c̶,̶ y̶o̶t̶a̶ p̶i̶c̶k̶u̶p, ⼕丫⻏?尺セ尺ㄩ⼕长
Country flag
To those who cruise around with the front plate affixed inside/on the dashboard -- is there ever any glare and is this legal (say in TX)?
Here in CA I see it all the time, its not legal (according to a cop friend).
speaking of glare, it just depends on how u affix it on the windshield, just lay it there and you will get glare, you would want it as flush as possible with the windshield.

Ehninger1212

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Architect/Fabricator
Country flag
You can get away with it usually.. but it is not legal. it must be mounted on the exterior of the vehicle. Specifically no less than 12" from the ground.

TyPope

First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'18 F150, '23 MY, '24 CT, '23 Maveric hybrid soon
Occupation
Operations Planner
Country flag
Here in Nebraska, a front plate is mandatory... sort of... You can go to the DMV and request a single plate and if you plop down $50 for some kind of administrative fee, they'll give you a sticker for the windshield that you put up high on the driver's side to keep it out of the snow. Then, every year when you renew your tag, they'll send you a new sticker. So... probably going to do that. It's almost as cheap as one of those license plate brackets and MUCH more aerodynamic! You should see if your state has the same thing.

Ehninger1212

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Architect/Fabricator
Country flag
Here in Nebraska, a front plate is mandatory... sort of... You can go to the DMV and request a single plate and if you plop down $50 for some kind of administrative fee, they'll give you a sticker for the windshield that you put up high on the driver's side to keep it out of the snow. Then, every year when you renew your tag, they'll send you a new sticker. So... probably going to do that. It's almost as cheap as one of those license plate brackets and MUCH more aerodynamic! You should see if your state has the same thing.
Thats interesting, I know our registration sticker has the tag number on it but it does not substitute for the plate itself. I need to make some phone calls now! My buddy just got an M3P and i know he would way rather do without the front plate! Thanks for sharing!4

TyPope

First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Operations Planner
Country flag
This is how it's worded on our DMV site:

Beginning January 1 2017, one license plate may be issued, upon request for any passenger car which is not equipped with a bracket on the front of the vehicle to display a license plate. A license decal shall be issued with the license plates and shall be displayed on the driver's side of the windshield. In order to request a single license plate and license decal, there shall be an additional annual nonrefundable registration fee of fifty dollars ($50) plus the cost of the decal paid to the county treasurer at the time of registration. We advise you to put the sticker in the upper left corner of your window so it is visible in the winter if there is snow on your car. You will receive a new decal every year when you renew your single plate registration. If at any time you want to put a bracket on your vehicle and go back to two plates you will have to surrender the single plate and receive a new set of plates. If you have a specialty plate it will be retained and we will order a second plate from the state. This option is not available on a truck. With this option you will not be able to renew your registration online. It must be processed in person or by mail.

I couldn't find a picture of what the sticker looks like but I thought it would be different than the regular registration sticker that goes on the license plate.

Frank W

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2007 Toyota Tacoma
Occupation
Retired Army 1975-1997
Country flag
While that’s a great option, DMV is really making out. You would certainly think that for $50. it would include the cost of the sticker.

TyPope

First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Operations Planner
Country flag
Yeah, you'd think... And this is from a place where I pay about $8,000 in property taxes a year... and taxes every year on every car...

Frank W

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2007 Toyota Tacoma
Occupation
Retired Army 1975-1997
Country flag
Ouch! $8000. a year is tough to swallow year after year. I finally got something for being over 62 this year and got a tax break of $3k off my property taxes otherwise it would have been over $5k.

TyPope

First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Operations Planner
Country flag
Ouch! $8000. a year is tough to swallow year after year. I finally got something for being over 62 this year and got a tax break of $3k off my property taxes otherwise it would have been over $5k.
No more school tax, right? I think my Dad said that once he hit a certain age that the school tax no longer applied to him. He's in Locust Grove, GA.
Sponsored