Frankenblob

First Name
Frank, USA is the BEST. Communism SUX
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
M38A-1, Trans-am
Country flag
"NHTSA investigating 'violent' Tesla crash into semi that left 2 critically injured."
Sponsored

Last edited:
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Student
Country flag
There are approximately 100 deaths every day in the US from car accidents.

An accident where two people are injured while using autopilot is news-worthy.

I wonder if there exist other instances where irresponsible media-reporting resulted in people losing their minds.

rr6013

First Name
Rex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
shorttakes.substack.com
Vehicles
1997 Tahoe 2 door 4x4
Occupation
Retired software developer and heavy commercial design builder
Country flag
"NHTSA investigating 'violent' Tesla crash into semi that left 2 critically injured."
Read the article. This is 3rd semi-trailer side impact Tesla have been implicated. Two with Autopilot==ON: 2 fatals. NTHSA have a cluster instead of a couple randoms if Autopilot was involved in this side impact.

WAG IF Autopilot was engaged, it read the signal (semaphore) GREEN. Autopilot missed the change to RED read. We don’t know why. It could be one of those plumb bob suspended semaphores mounted dead center in the intersection. No excuse for Autopilot if it has signals for each lane.

No forensics yet but IF driver was NOT using Autopilot he joins a long list of drivers who have driven underneath a Semi-trailer. Normally a box van is ~40 LF. It straddles across two full travel lanes to cross an intersection. Only trailer side reflectors at center, front and rear sides required. Marker lights at those same locations dusk-dawn mandatory.

A truck could have turned across the roadway blocking Tesla Autopilot “angle” view of the signal. Signal height requirements vary by road by state. Usually 16’ min. rural. That could be low enough that a semi-trailer could block Signal view were Tesla cameras mounted low; lower than eye level.

Bigvbear

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
ts.la
Vehicles
2001 Chevy Tracker, 2018 Jeep Cherokee
Occupation
IT
Country flag
Accidents happen. Its not going to end with Autopilot. Will it be safer? Yes, but it will never be perfect.

Billions have been spent on automation for airlines. They still crash, but it's significantly less than 20 years ago.

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
There is too little information to make any determination of what happened. The NHTSA should request all of the data from the incident, from Tesla, and that will give them telemetry and camera data to determine what the Tesla and driver were doing. The same kind of information is needed for the semi. Was the semi supposed to be in the intersection? When did they enter the intersection? How fast was the semi driving? Did the semi driver attempt to speed up or slow down which would suggest that they saw a problem in the making?

Regardless of whether the Tesla driver was using AP or FSD it is their responsibility to be in control and to drive defensively. I have already seen FSD beta videos, in Michigan, where the driver sets their speed much higher than the legal speed limit. Sometimes they drop their speed and they are getting passed like they are standing still. So there is a driving problem in Michigan to start with and perhaps it is widespread across the country. I don't know. Anyway, I wish the NHTSA had kept the news to themselves until they had more data but such is life

Several people have recently noted that one aspect of FSD that we all probably want is accident avoidance. Say, for example, that the Tesla was in the 'right' and the semi in the 'wrong'. Shouldn't the Tesla do everything it can to avoid a collision? Another possibility is that the Tesla AP or FSD was engaged and it doesn't do a good job of predicting how long it will take a large vehicle like a semi to get through an intersection. That would be bad, but necessary to making FSD better.

VI Tesla

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, Cybertruck
Country flag
Hopefully they pull through.
To the question though this is driver error, no question. Even if on autopilot or BETA FSD you are supposed to be paying attention.

Last edited:

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
To the question though this is driver error, no question. Even if on autopilot or BETA FSD you are supposed to be paying attention.
The pic of the MY made it look unlikely but apparently they will pull through (“serious but not life threatening injuries”).

FullyGrounded

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
blah
Country flag
It's not even about "paying attention", it is the law that a driver be in full control of their vehicle at all times, and to drive according to the law.

Some of these accidents will no doubt lead to newer laws that speak more directly to augmented driving conditions. The best thing the legislature can do is keep the laws simple and easy to understand. peace

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag

OneLapper

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW 328d Sportswagon
Country flag

Why is it that the media jumps on AP or FSD being at fault, then running with the story?

Per Reuters " Detroit Police Assistant Chief David LeValley said Tuesday at a press briefing “that all indications” are that the Tesla was not in Autopilot mode at the time, citing statements made by the driver and video evidence showing some evasive maneuvers before the crash. "

This incident is going to be in the news for weeks. I'm not for censoring media, but I expect unbiased, fact based reporting. Reuters, in this article, got to the bottom of it. It'll still be in the news for weeks though.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Why is it that the media jumps on AP or FSD being at fault, then running with the story?

This incident is going to be in the news for weeks. I'm not for censoring media, but I expect unbiased, fact based reporting. Reuters, in this article, got to the bottom of it. It'll still be in the news for weeks though.
Lots of news covered the police statements after the fact, USNews was the first national to pick up this version that I saw, Reuters was just easier to read.

You know what they say, lie gets around the world before truth gets it's shoes on.

-Crissa
Sponsored