FSD / Autopilot rollout delay - usual amount of time?

j4ypal

First Name
Philippe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3 and CT reservation
Country flag
Does anyone know how much time it took Tesla to rollout Autopilot/FSD to new vehicles launched? Chris from Dirty Tesla mentioned in a recent video that it is "normal" for new Tesla vehicles not to have Autopilot/FSD and after a couple months, they get it.

After a couple searches, I come up empty on actual data/info on this, like how much time did it take before Model Y got AP/FSD? Model 3?
Sponsored

agordon117

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
cybertruck foundation awd
Country flag
I searched around a few times. There's only really one timeline that matters. At some point tesla stopped shipping cars with radar, and switched to tesla vision. There was then a period of time where autopilot completely didn't work, and then slowly over a period of months they got it working to a limit of 75mph, then a couple of months later 80mph, then eventually 85mph. I'm not sure if they reached parity with radar vehicles at 90mph or not.

I expect the amount of time it will take for them to roll autopilot out to the trucks will not take longer than the time between when vision only vehicles rolled out and when they were finally given 85mph top speed (using autosteer). But I can't seem to find what exactly that timeline was.

We're already 3 months in and still no autosteer. Kind of crazy no matter what the justification is. Hard to imagine it could possibly take another 3 months. Cybertruck not being the priority for FSD is completely irrelevant to the fact that autosteer needs to be working in a timely manner. Autosteer and vision based parking "sensors" are sorely needed.

Outdoors

First Name
Outdoors
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
S,3,Y,C
Actually the 3 launched with AP, but speed control was on the screen. Scroll wheel wasn't used yet. It was comical. The S had various versions of AP, so that doesn't really count. X is in the same boat as S as it had AP1. Then both migrated to AP2, so on and so forth.

On the Y I wouldn't know, but I bet it did. It is on the 3, so not sure there was much new to learn, and before the move to vision.

Does make it tough for cross country drives, but I am not worried.

Sjohnson20

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck AWD, Model Y
Country flag
I noticed the adaptive cruise stops at red lights. So it does have one feature of FSD.

HellsNels

First Name
Nelson
Threads
Reaction score
Website
ts.la
Vehicles
2024 Cybertruck | Beast | FS; 2017 Model 3 LR
Country flag
Kind of crazy no matter what the justification is.
…It’s steer by wire. A completely different control system. It has rear wheel steering with 2 conditions of sub-40mph turning degree vs. above-40mph turning degree. Why do you think it’s taking longer. Personally I don’t think we’re getting an autopilot beta until like Q4 let alone any FSD stuff this year.

agordon117

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
cybertruck foundation awd
Country flag
…It’s steer by wire. A completely different control system. It has rear wheel steering with 2 conditions of sub-40mph turning degree vs. above-40mph turning degree. Why do you think it’s taking longer. Personally I don’t think we’re getting an autopilot beta until like Q4 let alone any FSD stuff this year.
You say that as if they just found out last week that they were using steer by wire.

I don't much care for the excuses on behalf of tesla. They knew this was coming. They had time to deal with the software. It has been 3 months since regular deliveries started (so, not counting the extra month from the november event) and still we don't have it.

I think it's taking longer because they don't care. They know we all want trucks. They know they can get away with not working on it for a long time and every truck will still sell. I don't think the complication of steer by wire, which they've known they would use for at least a year, is the actual thing holding this up.

cgladue

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Model S 75D, 2018 Model 3 Performance
Occupation
Software Architect
Country flag
personally i could care less about anything other then TACC
Sponsored