FSD Dreams and Cybertruck - How close to Reality?

CT_Traveler

First Name
Pedro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 Leaf
Country flag
My dream and I'm curious to know how much it is shared by others, and whether it will ever be a reality is: Pack up the truck, set the destination, get into my 'sleeper berth', depart in the evening and let the truck take me to my destination while I sleep! - waking up the next day at the morning destination (or a Supercharger location). I sleep while the truck drives at night! Yes, I enjoy driving through beautiful landscapes but not for 8 hours.

Benefits:
  1. Not driving for long periods
  2. Not paying for campsite/motel
  3. Waking up in a new destination
  4. Drive during the day too and make quick progress.
For this to be reality we'd need:
  1. FSD to actually work - I think that is possible, eventually.
  2. Need some type of approved sleeper berth:
    • Evidently there are regulations for this > DOT Regulation 393.76 and here Details
    • There also seems to be companies out there making sleep berths for trucks already (I found this one, didn't see any others) > woodhousesleeperberth
    • The above sleeper berth might fit in the back seat (needs to be 75 inches wide and Cybertruck is 79.8), however it would be better to have it lengthwise and accommodate 2 people, but don't know if that would be legal.
    • It seems the regulations require the sleeper berth to be next to the cab - if the cab opens into the bed perhaps the sleeper berth could between the cab and the bed?
Anyway, do others share this dream - do you think it could become reality?
Sponsored

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
It’s something I’ve talked about frequently myself. Since it’s night driving, going slow shouldn’t be a problem so let the truck cruise at range maximizing speed of 55 MPH and it could cover 450 miles while you sleep. Wake up as the truck rolls into a Supercharger, plug in take a leak, enjoy the sunrise, then hop back in and sleep for another couple hours or until you get to your destination.

It should be fully workable. Not sure how long it’ll take before FSD gets there and it’s legal though. Just the seatbelt laws would be weird.

SpaceYooper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
13' F150, 17' Explorer, 13' Cruz, 13' Clubman
Occupation
Retired USSF SNCO, REALTOR®
Country flag
(needs to be 75 inches wide and Cybertruck is 79.8),
I think that is 79.8 exterior dimensions.
My F150 is about 80" wide exterior.
72" glass to glass interior.
65" longest door panel to door panel measurements.
60" shortest door panel to door panel measurements.

Bed measurements
68" at the widest
63" at the narrowest.
The height would also be an issue at 22.5"
(I know the height in the CT will be more with that tapered cover.)

With this in mind I think having a legal sleeping birth in the cab of the CT is very unlikely.
It's also very unlikely in the bed of the CT to have a sleeping birth that runs perpendicular to the length.

Last edited:

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
An alternative to a sleeper berth would be having the passenger side and center console lay flat and have a mattress on top. Then you could have an area about the size of a single bed in the cabin. I’d want this option even without sleeping on the move.

TyPope

First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'18 F150, '23 MY, '24 CT, '23 Maveric hybrid soon
Occupation
Operations Planner
Country flag
I doubt you could do that legally. The CT will probably be capable of doing that, especially if the passthru is real... It would be neat to be able to do that. You could literally leave Friday after work, get to your destination 400 miles away, spend the weekend having fun, let the CT drive you back Sunday night, go to work the next day... like a vacation extender...

charliemagpie

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CybrBEAST
Occupation
retired
Country flag
For safety, we have to wear seat belts. Where I live you get fined for not wearing a seatbelt.

EM has said AI can adjust the tension of seat belts on the fly. Airbags can be deployed according to the position of the passenger in the car. Could both of these be prerequisites for being able to lie down and go to sleep in a moving vehicle? Especially in future domestic vehicles without a steering wheel.

Trucks have already started driving autonomously point to point. I expect different solutions to cater for sans drivers at delivery points. Perhaps contractors, new companies, may sprout up 'Receiving R US'.

Can we imagine the cost savings of having an EV without a driver... Fuel and wages. Practically Zero. Competition will vigorously drive that change. Sleeping quarters will be the exception.

cybguy

First Name
Pablo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 Pilatus PC-12, 2016 Bolt, 2024 Forester
Occupation
Temporarily unRetired
Country flag
For the last 5 years the AI experts have been consistently predicting autonomous driving by 2028-2030. Give us a report in 5-10 years on how that's working out for you.

Tesla Cybertruck FSD Dreams and Cybertruck - How close to Reality? Screenshot 2023-10-27 at 3.33.45 PM

Tesla Cybertruck FSD Dreams and Cybertruck - How close to Reality? Screenshot 2023-10-27 at 3.33.45 PM

Last edited by a moderator:

charliemagpie

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CybrBEAST
Occupation
retired
Country flag
You can order your car to restrain you.