Greg

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Country flag
Well hopefully by the time it's released we won't need a steering wheel to use very often. FSD
Sponsored

happy intruder

First Name
O. K.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3 Jun 2019..... Model S Jan 2020
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
A 'Joystick" would make driving so much easier: Forward/Reverse with speed and braking and then simply left/right. Have it easily moveable to use either with left or right hand as conditions or long distance relief may suggest.
I do not think a joy stick will make driving easier......it would in my opinion make the driving experience more difficult and dangerous......I was a military pilot for over 18 areas and I can tell you just a small amount of deflection or movement will make things go crazy......imagine a driver trying to use a joy stick to go through a small passage way with vehicles on either side....too much room for error......and I would like to see how off-roaders will be using it when trying to go over high rocks and really 4-wheeling it......nope, its a round wheel with a flat bottom for me

Dids

First Name
Les
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
04 Tacoma, 23 Cybertruck
Occupation
Self
Country flag
Nissan Q50 has a steer by wire. It has a back up mechanical linkage that supposed to engage if there is a failure.... I don't know if the back up system is required.... I do know some models use drive by wire.

alan auerbach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'90 Isuzu PU (has to last until my CT arrives), '91 Grand Marquis, '02 Grand Cherokee (I'm so grand I can't stand it), e-bike.
Occupation
Retired prof.
Country flag
The more the control rotates, the rounder it should be. Aircraft bank-controls, often termed yokes (though they're just part of the yoke), can generally rotate only some 40--80 degrees cw or ccw, a fraction of a car-wheel's rotational excursions (though lock-to-lock is decreasing due to power steering).

For comfort and appearance, off-round can help sell cars, but the deviation from full round should not be as extreme as seen in aircraft.

(I've only repeated here what others have correctly indicated. If it matters, I taught ergonomics and I have a non-current commercial pilot's licence.)

Last edited:

Debest21

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Montero
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I do not think a joy stick will make driving easier......it would in my opinion make the driving experience more difficult and dangerous......I was a military pilot for over 18 areas and I can tell you just a small amount of deflection or movement will make things go crazy......imagine a driver trying to use a joy stick to go through a small passage way with vehicles on either side....too much room for error......and I would like to see how off-roaders will be using it when trying to go over high rocks and really 4-wheeling it......nope, its a round wheel with a flat bottom for me
I would like a steering wheel for sure
Sponsored