Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dodge Ram diesel
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
General Motors has a solution for our crappy EV charging infrastructure

Ultium Charge 360 is the automaker’s response to the fractured nature of EV charging in the US

By Andrew J. Hawkins@andyjayhawk Apr 28, 2021, 3:00pm EDT

Tesla Cybertruck General Motors has a solution for our crappy EV charging infrastructure akrales_170405_1582_0603.0.0
Photo by Amelia Holowaty Krales / The Verge
General Motors announced a “holistic charging approach” to electric vehicle charging that it’s calling the Ultium Charge 360.

Much like Ford does with its FordPass network, the Ultium Charge 360 will integrate GM’s own vehicle apps and software with a variety of third-party charging services, such as Blink, ChargePoint, EVgo, Flo, Greenlots, and SemaConnect. The goal is to create a seamless experience in which an owner of a GM electric vehicle can drive up to a station, plug in, and start charging without having to juggle multiple apps or third-party memberships.

“There is a lot more to EV adoption than just buying the vehicle and just having a large connected network,” said Travis Hester, GM’s chief EV officer. “And our mission is to help every single person get over whatever anxiety they have, and help them into an EV in the most convenient way possible.”

“OUR MISSION IS TO HELP EVERY SINGLE PERSON GET OVER WHATEVER ANXIETY THEY HAVE”
Unlike Tesla or Volkswagen, GM does not own its own EV charging network. Owners of GM’s electric vehicles must instead rely on a patchwork of third-party chargers, each with their own software and membership requirements.

The challenge, though, will be to ensure that it all works as advertised. A lot will depend on the level of service provided by these various charging services, an aspect that GM will have little control over. EV charging in the US is a bit of a mess, with broken chargers, fraying cables, and unreliable maps. While GM can’t solve some of the more intractable problems, it says it’s doing what it can to make charging a little less of a headache.

A good comparison is to the FordPass network, which the automaker first introduced in 2019. The automaker claimed that Ford EV owners would have access to 12,000 public chargers. But the branding made it seem as if Ford were launching its own version of Tesla’s Supercharger network, when it was actually tapping existing stations from companies like Electrify America.

Speaking of which, Volkswagen’s subsidiary is noticeably absent from GM’s list of participating charging networks. The automaker said it was seeking to add additional charging providers into its Ultium network in the future.

GM SAID IT WAS MAKING GOOD PROGRESS ON THIS PARTNERSHIP
GM wouldn’t say whether its forthcoming EVs would include Plug and Charge capabilities, a new technology standard that allows a much simpler way to charge your car. “We’re not announcing specifics on some of those features,” said Alex Keros, lead architect for EV infrastructure at GM, “but you could certainly imagine Plug and Charge really enabling that seamless experience.”

The company announced that it would collaborate with EVgo to create a constellation of 2,700 electric vehicle fast-charging stations in cities around the country. GM didn’t specify the size of its investment in the charging buildout, and the partnership won’t be exclusive, meaning GM’s vehicles won’t get special access to them. GM said it was making good progress on this partnership, with the first stations already up and running in Washington, California, and Florida.

GM, the largest automaker in North America, is in the midst of a historic rebranding as an electric vehicle company. It has committed to spending $27 billion on electric and autonomous vehicles through 2025 — up from the $20 billion it announced before the COVID-19 pandemic. GM has also said it will launch 30 new electric vehicles around the world by that date, more than two-thirds of which will be available in North America. And it has set a goal to phase out its gas-powered vehicles and be a completely carbon neutral company by 2040.

GM unveiled two new EVs in 2020: the Cadillac Lyriq SUV, expected to go into production in late 2022, and the GMC Hummer EV, slated for late 2021. This year, it has revealed more details about an electric Hummer SUV and two new versions of the Chevy Bolt. And GM has also said it would release an electric Chevy pickup truck with 400 miles of range.

Hester said the “major functions” of Ultium Charge 360 will be available by September 2021. He described the new features as “single click, one click to activate” an EV charger, as well as some “gamiefied activity” tied to a specific electric vehicle, adding, “I don’t want to spoil the vehicle news.”

SOURCE: THE VERGE
Sponsored

Diehard

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Olds Aurora V8, Saturn Sky redline, Lightning, CT2
Country flag
This won't be easy. To try to tap into so many other networks with a handshake... and even that's not all you need to do: Since there isn't as much redundancy in the charging supply, knowing station status is all the more important.

-Crissa
Google map already has a feature that lets you know about upcoming speed traps and allow you to verify it. A central database (which does not even has to be GMs) with a good API for everyone to use could allow user reported status, price and rating of each charging station. Your rout mapping can consider the latest status reported and overall rating of a brand or specific stations to minimize the risk. Once different brands start competing, those ratings can get them to shape up mighty fast.

HaulingAss

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150, 2018 Model 3 Perform, FS Cybertruck
Country flag
This won't be easy. To try to tap into so many other networks with a handshake... and even that's not all you need to do: Since there isn't as much redundancy in the charging supply, knowing station status is all the more important.

-Crissa
I'm not sure why she thinks the answer to Out of Order charging stations is to have warning signs on the freeway. She didn't think this through. The built-in route planning software should do it like Tesla does. Of course, I've never seen an entire Supercharging station where all units were off-line.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
I'm not sure why she thinks the answer to Out of Order charging stations is...
I don't know, because not all EVs have in-vehicle network service? Because networks don't stretch to every mile of highway? Because there might not be a an alternate route?

There should be manual fallbacks. Networks go down, too, just like stations.

-Crissa

larryboy31

First Name
larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 Dodge turbo diesel ext. cab,2016 Nissan versa, 2021 Subaru cross trek
Occupation
retired
Country flag
I'm not sure why she thinks the answer to Out of Order charging stations is to have warning signs on the freeway. She didn't think this through. The built-in route planning software should do it like Tesla does. Of course, I've never seen an entire Supercharging station where all units were off-line.
It took 17 minutes to give us about 1 minute worth of information. Tip don't run your car down so that you only have 12 miles of range left over.

Cybertruckee

Banned
Banned
First Name
Yosemite Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Red Rider
Occupation
Finance Manager
Country flag
Did they give the timeline or is this another of their mid century dream? :unsure:

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
I’ve had similar problems.

The big problem isn’t signage so much as just ubiquity and reliability. In fact reliability more than anything else.

Imagine for a moment someone doing road construction which closed a gas station for days at a time. Or multiple gas stations within a 35 mile radius. I’ve seen that sort of thing with EV charging.

The fact that we have multiple incompatible charging technologies doesn’t help. Having to drive 10 miles out of your way to get to a Supercharger when there is a EA station right there is immensely frustrating. (I have seen some beta Tesla/ CCS adaptors floating around on YouTube which excited me). If she’d been able to tap the Tesla network chances of getting stranded are greatly reduced.

One of the things which I love about the Supercharger network is Tesla spends a lot of effort on reliability.

PS: At least she finally got Livermore right after a few mistakes.
Sponsored