CyberT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Model 3 LR RWD
Occupation
Service Technician
Country flag
Love me some Jordan Giesige videos! His voice is so soothing and informative. I seriously feel smarter after watching his videos. I just wish I could retain the information longer than 5 minutes lol.

rr6013

First Name
Rex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
shorttakes.substack.com
Vehicles
1997 Tahoe 2 door 4x4
Occupation
Retired software developer and heavy commercial design builder
Country flag
(from web sources)
LK:IDRA
Forty-two years ago, Liu Siong Song built machines to help factories make cheap toys and watches. Then he made them for motorcycle companies.

Now he helps Tesla, in the words of Elon Musk, “make full-size cars in the same way that toy cars are made.”

OP
OP
Throwcomputer

Throwcomputer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
07 Ridgeline, Vintage Vespas, 02 Harley Sportster
Occupation
TV & Film
Country flag
It's close but no cigar. The video goes into detail on how Tesla found that using higher than 8.5% of silicon provides no benefit to flowability. So they reduce the copper quantity to similar to aa386, but keep the silicon percentage at 8.5% of 380, but the real key is the addition of vanadium. Whats the percentage of vanadium in aa386? In aa380 its 0. Apparently the vanadium addition in tesla's mix is the real key to all the benefits of their alloy.

15 minutes into the video goes into all these details of how their patent is demonstrably new and improved over these other existing alloys.

OP
OP
Throwcomputer

Throwcomputer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
TV & Film
Country flag
Love me some Jordan Giesige videos! His voice is so soothing and informative. I seriously feel smarter after watching his videos. I just wish I could retain the information longer than 5 minutes lol.
That guy is pretty good I have to agree. But this guy's channel is way better. He's literally the smartest content producer on youtube and his way of explaining complex topics for normal people to understand it is top notch. He does a wide variety of really cool experiments.

Bill906

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep
Country flag
Is anyone else getting the impression that the Gigapresses NEED the Telsa Aluminum alloy? It seems like Tesla's aluminum alloy is the only known alloy that has the properties to fill in the entire cast before hardening. At least at the strength/ductileness needed for structural vehicle components. And if this is true, how could anyone but Tesla be a gigapress customer?

OP
OP
Throwcomputer

Throwcomputer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
TV & Film
Country flag
Is anyone else getting the impression that the Gigapresses NEED the Telsa Aluminum alloy? It seems like Tesla's aluminum alloy is the only known alloy that has the properties to fill in the entire cast before hardening. At least at the strength/ductileness needed for structural vehicle components. And if this is true, how could anyone but Tesla be a gigapress customer?
That's exactly what that video is saying. They designed their alloy specifically to achieve the size and complexity of the mold they are casting with while maintaining strength and at the same time reducing post cast steps to prevent corrosion.

The video also points out that Tesla has stated that won't be seeking to penalize other manufacturers who use their patented alloy. They could charge a licensing fee, but they apparently say they won't. So this leaves any other oem the freedom to buy their own giga presses from idra and do their own casts.

Don't tell Stellantis CEO there are ways to reduce costs to make ev transition affordable. He don't want to hear it!

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
That's exactly what that video is saying. They designed their alloy specifically to achieve the size and complexity of the mold they are casting with while maintaining strength and at the same time reducing post cast steps to prevent corrosion.

The video also points out that Tesla has stated that won't be seeking to penalize other manufacturers who use their patented alloy. They could charge a licensing fee, but they apparently say they won't. So this leaves any other oem the freedom to buy their own giga presses from idra and do their own casts.
How much of IDRA’s production capacity has Tesla already bought up?

Also, Tesla’s patent open sourcing has a giant caveat that I don’t think anyone big will accept. They won’t enforce their patents against anyone under the condition that the other party won’t sue Tesla for patent infringement.

OP
OP
Throwcomputer

Throwcomputer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
TV & Film
Country flag
How much of IDRA’s production capacity has Tesla already bought up?

Also, Tesla’s patent open sourcing has a giant caveat that I don’t think anyone big will accept. They won’t enforce their patents against anyone under the condition that the other party won’t sue Tesla for patent infringement.
True. On point 1, whose to say another OEM can't find another manufacturer to build and design their own giga casting machines!

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Tesla has different levels of protection for different things. The 4680, for instance, can't be replicated without help.

Some of their patents are open with their license, others they've patented so no one else can. Industrial IP vs defensive IP, I guess you could say. The patent protects them from patent trolls.

-Crissa

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Tesla has different levels of protection for different things. The 4680, for instance, can't be replicated without help.

Some of their patents are open with their license, others they've patented so no one else can. Industrial IP vs defensive IP, I guess you could say. The patent protects them from patent trolls.

-Crissa
My understanding is they opened up most of the 4680 production to their partners but kept the biggest production secret for themselves—the dry battery electrode. Without that, Teslas costs are always going to be much lower on the 4680 cells than anyone else’s.

So anyone can buy the 4680 from battery manufacturers, but Tesla’s in house factories have a much smaller footprint and much lower production costs.
Sponsored