Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Sienna
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
When stainless steel exhaust pipes came onto the market in the 1980’s, it had a tendency to crack from the heat. I guess that it was fixed by not adding so much nickel in the alloy?

MikeF

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GMC Denali
Occupation
Photographer
Country flag
You aren't going to want to weld to the body panels, hard to control warping while you weld. And the big thing is things need to flex or else they fatigue crack. If you mount two things together by welding them and they don't flex the same way, something is going to break. There is a reason commercial truck bodies are all bolted to the frame and not welded.
Commercial Truck's Cab are attached to frames using Passive Elastomeric Mounts and semi-active suspension systems to allow for differential motion between frames and Cabs. The mounting systems are highly engineered for vehicle longevity and driver's comfort. The Driver's seats are also precision engineered systems with adjustments for the driver's position and physical characteristics.

alan auerbach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'90 Isuzu PU (has to last until my CT arrives), '91 Grand Marquis, '02 Grand Cherokee (I'm so grand I can't stand it), e-bike.
Occupation
Retired prof.
Country flag
When stainless steel exhaust pipes came onto the market in the 1980’s, it had a tendency to crack from the heat. I guess that it was fixed by not adding so much nickel in the alloy?
General comments: -If there were a perfect metal (cost, workability, durability, weight, and other characteristics) for car bodies, that's all we'd see. -Not aware of any stainless that won't show some surface-rust over time, unless protected. -Given how long metallurgy has been a widely-studied science, I doubt Tesla will come up with a new formula, but if anybody can, it's them.

I think the cracking (maybe from exhaust heat but especially from welding) was reduced with less nickel and chromium.

Mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Country flag
I am still pinching myself that Tesla will be manufacturing the Cybertruck from 3mm thick SS. It’s the #1 reason I got excited over the truck and placed a deposit on one. The “designed by aliens” futuristic styling was my #2 reason. It’s going to make every other pickup truck on the road look dated when it hits the streets late next year.

It was never mentioned if all of the body panels would be 3mm thick or just the the monocoque exoskeleton. I think the door skins are 3mm thick judging by the hammer demo but I am curious if the hood, tailgate, front valance and front fenders will be 3mm thick as well.

Tesla, your design team knocked the ball out of the park
Tesla Cybertruck New Steel Alloy Body Material Coming For Cybertruck Says Musk 5820B475-78D5-4D5D-B0B5-11FA30FFA38D

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
It was never mentioned if all of the body panels would be 3mm thick or just the the monocoque exoskeleton. I think the door skins are 3mm thick judging by the hammer demo but I am curious if the hood, tailgate, front valance and front fenders will be 3mm thick as well.
I was wondering about that myself. My feeling is they are going to use 3mm wherever it's needed for strength and something thinner everywhere else. Seems like maybe the hood could be lighter? Otherwise you are lifting a 90 pound hood every time you need to pull out a bag of groceries.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
But you don't have a 90lb lift on your door or hatchback or whatever already. You lift a little and then pneumatical-lifty things do it for you.

I would hope it's on the hood, that is one of the easy to dent places when you're out working or in the woods.

-Crissa
Sponsored