Roland Mills

First Name
Roland
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck, Mazda 6, Honda Civic
Country flag
Alright... I have a question for anyone on here who understands how 30x cold rolled steel works better than i do. I made a post predicting Elon Musk would build Gigapresses to produce the Cybertruck and got a whole lot of negative comments saying it was impossible. Can cold rolled steel be cast like the Model Y's aluminum frame? I just listened to the Q4 earnings call.... did we just hear Elon say Cybertruck production was delayed because they had to build a larger Gigapress for the Cybertruck?
Sponsored

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
Alright... I have a question for anyone on here who understands how 30x cold rolled steel works better than i do. I made a post predicting Elon Musk would build Gigapresses to produce the Cybertruck and got a whole lot of negative comments saying it was impossible. Can cold rolled steel be cast like the Model Y's aluminum frame? I just listened to the Q4 earnings call.... did we just hear Elon say Cybertruck production was delayed because they had to build a larger Gigapress for the Cybertruck?
It will probably be cast aluminum though stainless can be cast and is all the time. Casting is done with molten metal. Cold rolled is sheet stock, I believe.

Cyberman

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150,F550, Escape
Occupation
Cybercontractor
Country flag
The stainless on Cybertruck will be cold rolled. Cast stainless has different properties, and can be brittle, meaning it breaks if bent too much. Cast iron is strong, but brittle. Cold rolled is, by definition, rolled and not cast. Stainless can't be put through a casting machine, which is the machine used to cast the rear quarter of new model Y's.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Stainless can be cast, but it's a much higher temperature than aluminum. It would be a new unknown alloy, as Tesla already had to make a new aluminum alloy for their megacasting.

-Crissa

OneLapper

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW 328d Sportswagon
Country flag
Elon said the larger 8k ton Gigapress for the CT was needed to accommodate the larger size of the CT body.

To me that makes it more clear that, although the exterior of CT will be exoskeleton, the bumper supports, suspension, and most certainly the trailer hitch mounting points, will all be incorporated into the rear casting.

" Can cold rolled steel be cast like the Model Y's aluminum frame? I just listened to the Q4 earnings call.... did we just hear Elon say Cybertruck production was delayed because they had to build a larger Gigapress for the Cybertruck? "

No, cold rolled [stainless] steel cannot be cast like the MY's "aluminum frame". As @Crissa pointed out, it's already a product.... cold rolled stainless steel. Any "casting" will be aluminum.

We did not hear Elon say the CT production is delayed. Let's not get all drama. Everything is moving along swimmingly. MAYBE a few CTs will roll off the assembly line by the end of the year. Elon wants that for the marketing impact. It's a good goal to have.

Dids

First Name
Les
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
04 Tacoma, 23 Cybertruck
Occupation
Self
Country flag
Aluminum alloy vs stainless alloy. Does it matter if aluminum includes iron, chromium, carbon, selenium, nickel or if iron includes aluminum, chromium, carbon, selenium, nickel etc.
In the end they start to get nearly the same formula...
You can anneal cast stainless and its properties change making it less brittle and more ductile.

Cyberrides

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A few
Occupation
Industrial Construction
Country flag
I mentioned a few months ago I had a hunch they would be using a Giga press on the Cyber truck.
I Mentioned it to Sandy Munro and a few other places. Lots of people laughed and tried to explain how it was a stupid idea and would not work..
Casting is THEIR natural progression on manufacturing........ Wait till you see the SEMI GOGA PRESS.. LOL
Stainless is a perfect casting material. It makes absolute sense, to do this especially for the truck.
I am excited should get my truck a few months earlier with this announcement.....lol

OP
OP
Roland Mills

Roland Mills

First Name
Roland
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
If it's cast, its not cold rolled, now is it?

-Crissa
Thats where my confusion begins. on Yesterday's earnings call Elon mentioned building a larger gigapress to cast the cybertruck... is the cybertruck no longer using cold-rolled stainless steel?

OP
OP
Roland Mills

Roland Mills

First Name
Roland
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
It will probably be cast aluminum though stainless can be cast and is all the time. Casting is done with molten metal. Cold rolled is sheet stock, I believe.
right but isn't the Cybertruck made from cold-rolled stainless steel, not aluminum? i am so confused!

OP
OP
Roland Mills

Roland Mills

First Name
Roland
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
The stainless on Cybertruck will be cold rolled. Cast stainless has different properties, and can be brittle, meaning it breaks if bent too much. Cast iron is strong, but brittle. Cold rolled is, by definition, rolled and not cast. Stainless can't be put through a casting machine, which is the machine used to cast the rear quarter of new model Y's.
then why is elon building a larger gigapress for the cybertruck?

OP
OP
Roland Mills

Roland Mills

First Name
Roland
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Elon said the larger 8k ton Gigapress for the CT was needed to accommodate the larger size of the CT body.

To me that makes it more clear that, although the exterior of CT will be exoskeleton, the bumper supports, suspension, and most certainly the trailer hitch mounting points, will all be incorporated into the rear casting.

" Can cold rolled steel be cast like the Model Y's aluminum frame? I just listened to the Q4 earnings call.... did we just hear Elon say Cybertruck production was delayed because they had to build a larger Gigapress for the Cybertruck? "

No, cold rolled [stainless] steel cannot be cast like the MY's "aluminum frame". As @Crissa pointed out, it's already a product.... cold rolled stainless steel. Any "casting" will be aluminum.

We did not hear Elon say the CT production is delayed. Let's not get all drama. Everything is moving along swimmingly. MAYBE a few CTs will roll off the assembly line by the end of the year. Elon wants that for the marketing impact. It's a good goal to have.
THIS was super helpful! thank you!

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
is the cybertruck no longer using cold-rolled stainless steel?
That segment of the body was never cold-rolled. It's not on the outside. It's what connects the motor to the exoskeleton and the battery pack. It's not the exoskeleton.

then why is elon building a larger gigapress for the cybertruck?
Because the Cybertruck is bigger than the Model Y.

-Crissa

Newton

First Name
Newton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
p̶r̶i̶u̶s̶ c̶,̶ y̶o̶t̶a̶ p̶i̶c̶k̶u̶p, ⼕丫⻏?尺セ尺ㄩ⼕长
Country flag
casting wont be for the stainless... thats just not how it works... they buy sheets to fold to shape.

casting is for the cab maybe, and other internal structures. i was wondering what the cab would be made of now we know.