Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CybrBEAST
Occupation
retired
Country flag
"You said you were going to save the World by October !, and now we have to wait till January ?"

Damn You !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

;-)

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
The number of machines absolutely tells us what the maximum capacity is. If there are only 3 machines, the absolute maximum speed they could go at is 75% of what 4 machines could go at minus switching times.

Switching is likely non-trivial and would involve building up a bunch of inventory between swaps.

You are technically right. They don’t *have* to work in pairs. But they absolutely will because it is the only way they are going to be able to product cars at the throughput they are planning on.
In a way I see your reasoning, but it is based on the statement: "produce cars at the throughput they are planning on". They are going to spend over a year ramping up production. They may be able to ramp at the rate they did at Giga Shanghai, but Shanghai only uses a single casting. So no one knows how many machines they need to ramp at a rate we also do not know. For the Model Y they will definately need 2 casting machines, one for the front and one for the rear, as you say. A few people here have surmised that they might use the same casting for front and rear on the cybertruck, and since it is not slated to begin production for many months they could still get 'another' (if the one they recently received is an 8K) 8K and configure it in that time. Long story short, I am sticking with my original position.

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
Joe Tegtmeyer's video from today kinda gives a great clue as to whether the 4th giga press is for CT or for MY.

As you can see the huge beams that arrived on the 10th are in the second assembly line in the casting area. They are way bigger beams for bridge crane than what is over the existing MY giga press line. The new IDRA giga press boxes that arrived yesterday are being disassembled in line after 3rd giga press on the MY assembly line under the smaller bridge crane.

This would suggest the 4th press is completing 2 full sets of MY giga presses. The huge beams are being installed for the even bigger bridge crane over the 2nd line of presses (closest to the outer wall near the main parking lot) with the ground support all ready for the first pair of 8k giga presses to the south of where the new beams are being installed.

So they are getting ready for the 8k press delivery by prepping the bridge crane for that new line. This makes sense as they have 1 bridge crane for each vehicle. All giga presses for a model are in a straight line.

Since there is space for 3 lines of presses in the casting area, we might see a 3rd assembly line (in the back closest to the paint shop) for a yet to be determined model with new castings, or possibly castings for the Semi? Haven't heard if they plan on making giga casts for the semi or not?
That is a valid theory, but until they actually mount a base it could just mean that they don't want to damagecthe press while installing those rails and the associated crane.
Sponsored