First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Olds Aurora V8, Saturn Sky redline, Lightning, CT2
Country flag
20:38s mark
Going off topic a bit; When Elon was talking about suspension. He said you can go real tight on freeway. If you are not mountain carving, I s there any advantage in traveling low (other than reducing drag due to a few square inches of tire surface area that is exposed)? Would you guys keep your suspension in the middle for maximum cushiness On highway? Or lower it for a few extra mile of range?
Sponsored

Throwcomputer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
07 Ridgeline, Vintage Vespas, 02 Harley Sportster
Occupation
TV & Film
Country flag
Going off topic a bit; When Elon was talking about suspension. He said you can go real tight on freeway. If you are not mountain carving, I s there any advantage in traveling low (other than reducing drag due to a few square inches of tire surface area that is exposed)? Would you guys keep your suspension in the middle for maximum cushiness On highway? Or lower it for a few extra mile of range?
I don't know but i assumed you wouldn't get that much precision on setting ride height on freeway. I assume there will be an off-road mode which will give you precision at low speed, but off road mode will deactivate over a set speed. Beyond that i assume the ride height is automatically adjusted by the computer based on all the necessary factors, outside of any user input.

Maybe at most your input is performance vs economy which affects the ai preferences slightly.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
It's hardened stainless steel exterior to a truck. It's supposed to have abraision and patina. When mine looks like a wizened old demo derby grand champion, i will be proud.
Oh, I agree.

But some people like that fresh from the shrinkwrap look.

-Crissa

rodmacpherson

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Volt, Nissan LEAF
Occupation
Security Architect (IT/Infosec)
Country flag
Maybe the top view will help put this idea to bed.
Screen Shot 2021-07-15 at 12.37.10 PM.png

Even if the rear glass panel were long enough, the center of the roof is too narrow for the cover to slide into.
yeah, too narrow, but still doesn't mean it can't be done in a future version.
July 2021 is way too late to incorporate changes into the 2022 version we are all waiting on regardless. That method of folding the cover would have to be in a Version 2 of the truck.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Flip this.

Being low increases range, performance, and handling. Having more air in the suspension improves ride quality up to a point. After that, it's only useful for off-road clearance, peaking around the guy in front of you, or showing up Bubba in the coal-rolling clunker next to you at a light.

So most of the time on the highway you'd want to cruise at that sweet spot where ride quality if best. Even then, there are trips where I would take a hit to ride quality to gain enough range to skip a Supercharger stop.

Bill906

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep
Country flag
Would you guys keep your suspension in the middle for maximum cushiness On highway? Or lower it for a few extra mile of range?
I don't know about the CT but my Jeep Grand Cherokee has QuadraLift which is a variable air suspension system. There are 5 heights. Four are selectable.

Entry/Exit (Low)
* Areo
Normal
OffRoad 1 (high)
OffRoad 2 (Very High)

With the vehicle stopped I can manually change between the 4 non-asterisk levels.
Offroad 1 and 2 have max speeds. Exceeding those speeds will cause the suspension to lower.
Going over 45MPH will always put me in aero height.

I was a bit annoyed when I learned I couldn't raise my height at highway speeds. I was hoping I could raise the vehicle to max height to help the person driving slowly in the left lane in front of me realize that I was behind them.

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
I don't know about the CT but my Jeep Grand Cherokee has QuadraLift which is a variable air suspension system. There are 5 heights. Four are selectable.

Entry/Exit (Low)
* Areo
Normal
OffRoad 1 (high)
OffRoad 2 (Very High)

With the vehicle stopped I can manually change between the 4 non-asterisk levels.
Offroad 1 and 2 have max speeds. Exceeding those speeds will cause the suspension to lower.
Going over 45MPH will always put me in aero height.

I was a bit annoyed when I learned I couldn't raise my height at highway speeds. I was hoping I could raise the vehicle to max height to help the person driving slowly in the left lane in front of me realize that I was behind them.
If it was a compact vehicle in front of you, going to max height might just allow you to go right over them. Think BigFoot the monster truck. Tesla probably doesn't want to be responsible for people doing that on the freeway.

Tesla Cybertruck Glass Topper is a SHOW STOPPER ! 1626381485221

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
If it was a compact vehicle in front of you, going to max height might just allow you to go right over them. Think BigFoot the monster truck. Tesla probably doesn't want to be responsible for people doing that on the freeway.
Joking aside, big vehicles with high bumpers do much greater damage to other vehicles on the road and result in a lot more fatalities. The bumper often strikes other vehicles near head level at where windows are. They are also more likely to jump on top of other vehicles.

Throwcomputer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
07 Ridgeline, Vintage Vespas, 02 Harley Sportster
Occupation
TV & Film
Country flag
Maybe they will implement a crash mode when the ai recognizes an imminently unavoidable crash, it quickly lowers the suspension to bottom.

Probably not, I'm just spitballing cool ideas that they could take based on the tech and some computer programming.

HaulingAss

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150, 2018 Model 3 Perform, FS Cybertruck
Country flag
Even hardened stainless will have abrasion and patina.

-Crissa
I know. My point was the plastic film will get beat up and crappy looking even faster than the cold-rolled stainless. Much easier to just polish the steel if it gets scratches vs. removing a plastic film and replacing. And plastic films won't protect from the worst damage anyway, a knife will cut right through them!

Anyway, it's a truck so the whole notion of trying to protect it from normal wear just strikes me as ridiculous. IMO, any battle scars will just make it look more awesome!

Unlike a painted truck body stamped out of mild steel, it has no paint to chip or scratch and no mild steel to rust orange. Traditional trucks get ugly real fast when the orange rust starts showing in the paint chips and scratches. They are very delicate compared to a truck made from cold rolled stainless.

HaulingAss

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150, 2018 Model 3 Perform, FS Cybertruck
Country flag
There is the dilemma I face.

I will be taking my truck into places where it will face tree branches, rocks, grit, mud, etc etc.

If I put a wrap on it the wrap is going to take a bunch of abuse and look like crap much quicker than the base material might. But then when I pull the wrap off, I have a truck that looks like new.

If I leave the wrap off, it stainless takes the abuse. It'll shrug most of it off, but slowly develops a series of dings, scratches, and surface abrasions.

I'm leaning towards just leaving it naked because scraped in the stainless can be polished out.

But the idea of a wrap that starts out looking a little pre-stressed also appeals.
Personally, I think damaged wrap looks pretty shoddy, "plasticy" and cheap, not like a scratch in real metal - that just adds to the tough look of the truck. And wrap doesn't offer any real protection against dents and dings. The cold-rolled stainless will take much more abuse than current truck bodies without getting dented. It'll be the first truck ever that is actually pretty "tough". "Ford tough" is not very tough. I know, I have one. The mild steel bed looks like it's been through hell and back. All dented and with scratched paint and the rust starting to show through. It only has 45K miles. The paint has micro-scratches from branches that would look good in stainless but looks like crap in the clear coat. I don't think regular saplings and tree branches will even scratch the cold-rolled stainless, at least nothing that a regular ScotchBrite pad won't buff out if so inclined.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Personally, I think damaged wrap looks pretty shoddy, "plasticy" and cheap, not like a scratch in real metal - that just adds to the tough look of the truck. And wrap doesn't offer any real protection against dents and dings. The cold-rolled stainless will take much more abuse than current truck bodies without getting dented. It'll be the first truck ever that is actually pretty "tough". "Ford tough" is not very tough. I know, I have one. The mild steel bed looks like it's been through hell and back. All dented and with scratched paint and the rust starting to show through. It only has 45K miles. The paint has micro-scratches from branches that would look good in stainless but looks like crap in the clear coat. I don't think regular saplings and tree branches will even scratch the cold-rolled stainless, at least nothing that a regular ScotchBrite pad won't buff out if so inclined.
Yeah, my feelings are in line with this too.

Anything which the wrap would protect the car against, you could probably buff out later. Anything deeper, the wrap wouldn't protect it regardless.

OP
OP
Huntsman

Huntsman

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
Occupation
Heavy Equipment Ops
Country flag
Assuming it is automatic I would leave it set to maximum RANGE except if on I-20 traversing Louisiana, albeit the computer would soon remember that route and adjust for RIDE.
Sponsored