GM’s Super Bowl commercial, where’s Tesla’s?

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
The cringeworthy Silverado advert ends with the woman plugging her Silverado into a Level 2 charger which would probably take about 8 hours to top off that monster battery pack.
Hey, maybe she's going to be there all day. She'll easily get back the miles she just drove in a couple hours. A little top-off before a road-trip.

-Crissa
Sponsored

Last edited:

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Hey, maybe she's going to be there all day. She'll easily get back the miles she just drove in a couple hours. A little too-off before a road-trip.

-Crissa
It’s a fully legit use. I do the same. I just think it’s weird to emphasize it. Maybe because the CCS charger is so much bulkier they opted for the smaller J1772 Connector.

swengl

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Model Y
Country flag
And yet in a survey of people, Tesla has lower brand recognition than other major automakers.

There would therefore be untapped demand - we're all here because we're unmet demand, too. And we get new members every week who hadn't known before.

-Crissa
I would add that the folks that I have personally run into that haven't heard of Tesla are typically folks that probably do not spend much (any?) time on the internet, so their Tesla ignorance is more understandable.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
I love to see it… Tesla doesn’t have to advertise AT ALL.
Tesla does advertise. It’s just so subtle nobody even thinks of it as advertising.

All of those little mini-movies about how Tesla does their glass and the way they did the light show are a type of advertising.

DMC-81

First Name
Dana
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Transformers Camaro SS, 1985 Corvette Z51, Dodge Magnum R/T, 1981 DeLorean, CT reservation
Country flag
I don't watch the Superbowl, so I missed the ads. Thanks for posting it. Although I find Austin Powers movies entertaining, IMO, that gm ad was cringeworthy and didn't convey any message.

{sarcasm on} Since gm is leading the transition to EV's, maybe Tesla should begin advertising to catch up? {sarcasm off}

RMK!

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Model 3 SR, CT on order
Country flag
I was interested in the obvious shot at Tesla by the Salesforce ad featuring the notoriously weird and self indulgent Mathew Mccon-something.

Tesla has no salesforce and therefore has no interest in the overpriced customer (prey?) management software. Guess that makes Tesla a target for the silly Joe Biden type let's getter done sentimentality approach.

For a company who adds essentially nothing to the betterment of mankind, it is a bit galling for them to criticize Tesla.

Bill906

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep
Country flag
The Silverado/Sopranos commercial should have ended with the screen going to black when she plugs the truck in.

Ooops. Should have said ”Spoiler Alert” for everyone that hasn’t seen the series finally of Sopranos yet.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
The Silverado/Sopranos commercial should have ended with the screen going to black when she plugs the truck in.

Ooops. Should have said ”Spoiler Alert” for everyone that hasn’t seen the series finally of Sopranos yet.
So it was an advert on an event I don’t bother watching for a product I’ll never buy from a company I think won’t last out the decade, referencing a show I’ve never seen.

No wonder when I watched it I was like WTF?

Bill906

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep
Country flag
I only watched the game for the commercials. And really, was just for the EV commercials.
I did watch Sopranos, I recognized the drive right away. Opening credits of the show were played over Tony Soprano driving his Black Chevy Tahoe (or was it a GMC Yukon?) down the same route. I wonder if someone has done a side by side comparison of the original to the commercial? I’ll wait a day and search. As a kid I was always a GM fan. So it almost feels like the commercial was directed right at me.

addendum: Couldn’t wait. Found it. Very impressive keeping true to the original.

Last edited:

Cyberman

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150,F550, Escape
Occupation
Cybercontractor
Country flag
Advertising is what you do when you build all these cars, and you can't sell them all. Tesla just doesn't have that problem.
Am I the only one that was kinda hoping for a new Dr. Evil installment?

charliemagpie

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CybrBEAST
Occupation
retired
Country flag
Advertising consistently raises sales by 20%. Conversely, when these companies stop advertising, sales drop 20%. (as I was once told)

These guys advertise, and they get bananas competing with Tesla.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Advertising consistently raises sales by 20%. Conversely, when these companies stop advertising, sales drop 20%. (as I was once told)

These guys advertise, and they get bananas competing with Tesla.
This works when you are selling similar goods. Apple always spent less money on advertising than their competitors. If your product is differentiated enough and desirable enough, you need a lot less advertising. Tesla is an extreme example of this. Their product is so much better than the competitors in the EV space their advertising expenses don’t even show up on the income statement.