Graph of amperage draw over time for Model S and Tesla wall charger?

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla M3LR, Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Geek
Country flag
Yes, the manufacturers would include higher capacity than needed in a premium car so that people can do things like fast charge at work or at public stations in a short time. They don't need to at home, and even 240/20 is probably sufficient. Cheaper EVs have much lower-rate chargers, because wasting money is not for everyone. It's bad advice to tell people to overkill a solution. It wastes not just money, but has environmental costs.
Sponsored

Bill906

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep
Country flag
but the bottom line is that most everybody can do fine with two EVs and 30a charging.
The CT is going to use more energy than most current EV's. Sure, 240v 30A circuit is more than enough typically. But if I take a long trip on the weekend, say 300 mile drive through snow and slush on a below freezing Sunday night, and I get home at midnight with 10% charge, and I need to leave at 6am to get to a jobsite 100 miles away... I'd be wishing for a 60A charger at my house.

Yes that is not the typical use. But I'm not buying the CT for just typical use. I'm buying it for all uses, typical and atypical. If I was only worried about typical use I'd buy a Bolt. Most of the time, the typical use of my CT will be getting me from point A to point B.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
The CT is going to use more energy than most current EV's. Sure, 240v 30A circuit is more than enough typically. But if I take a long trip on the weekend, say 300 mile drive through snow and slush on a below freezing Sunday night, and I get home at midnight with 10% charge, and I need to leave at 6am to get to a jobsite 100 miles away... I'd be wishing for a 60A charger at my house.

Yes that is not the typical use. But I'm not buying the CT for just typical use. I'm buying it for all uses, typical and atypical. If I was only worried about typical use I'd buy a Bolt. Most of the time, the typical use of my CT will be getting me from point A to point B.
You'll get a Supercharge somewhere. Because you'd need a massively better charger to make up that difference.

That 30a plug will still but pumping 11 miles an hour into the Cybertruck even at its worst, and you'll add over a hundred miles in the time you're sleeping. And if you don't, well, you can't match that hundreds of miles per hour the Supercharger could do, so hit it before you get home.

-Crissa

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla M3LR, Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Geek
Country flag
Yeah, what Crissa said. 35k one way and 70k the other, still not a big help. Outlier situations take outlier solutions. You don't waste on a solution for the 1% outlier.
Sponsored