Heavy-duty BEVs like the Tesla Semi won’t work—biofuels a better option: Bill Gates

Status
Not open for further replies.

CappyJax

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Forester
Occupation
Pilot
Country flag
I didn't assert that Tesla was lying. I was suggesting that Bill was asserting that they were lying.
Sponsored

CappyJax

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Forester
Occupation
Pilot
Country flag
You still need to assert that, then.

Where did Gates say that? (I can't believe I'm defending Bill Gates.)

-Crissa
I can't believe I have to spell this out.

Bill gates says:"Even with big breakthroughs in battery technology, electric vehicles will probably never be a practical solution for things like 18-wheelers, cargo ships, and passenger jets."

Since Tesla claims to have a fully functioning semi with 600 miles of range, then according to Gates, they must be lying.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
I can't believe I have to spell this out.

Bill gates says:"Even with big breakthroughs in battery technology, electric vehicles will probably never be a practical solution for things like 18-wheelers, cargo ships, and passenger jets."

Since Tesla claims to have a fully functioning semi with 600 miles of range, then according to Gates, they must be lying.
You do realize you failed to point out any contradiction in these two statements, right?

OneLapper

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW 328d Sportswagon
Country flag
Good grief people!

I work in the semi truck and bus industry. Here's my opinion:

There is LONG HAUL trucking.

There is REGIONAL trucking.

The two are completely different and it's unlikely Tesla is trying to get into both at the same time.

It's likely that Bill Gates does not differentiate between the two. Most people do not.

The Tesla semi tractor is ideal for REGIONAL trucking. These tractors are back at the terminal every night, the drivers go home and sleep in their beds. They get up and start their day like we do, get in their tractor and make deliveries, at the end of the day they head back to the terminal. Since the tractor is parked at the same terminal(s) every day (or night), it can be easily recharged. I believe regional deliveries is what Tesla is aiming for. It just makes the most sense.

I do not believe that Tesla is immediately planning to get into LONG HAUL trucking. I believe that LONG HAUL trucking with a BEV semi will be possible when the infrastructure is in place. Truck stops need to have charging stations for a BEV semi that the long haul driver can park at overnight, take his/her mandatory breaks and resets, and continue on. I also believe this scenario has it's serious challenges. The truck stops are a shit show with EDLs (Electronic Data Logs) limiting "on duty" time, which includes driving AND loading, unloading, breaks, etc. The efficiency of today's truckers is much lower with EDLs. This is why truck stop are overflowing. Incorporating BEV charging into long haul will be extremely difficult and will be met with strong resistance from existing truckers. Today's truck drivers are not going to "save" that charging station parking spot for super rare BEV semi. They will park their tractor there, take their mandatory break, dump their bottle of piss on the ground, then leave when they are damn good and ready.

Sad, but factual.

Last edited:
OP
OP
TruckElectric

TruckElectric

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dodge Ram diesel
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Funny how Bill Gates never mentioned Nikola.

Frank W

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2007 Toyota Tacoma
Occupation
Retired Army 1975-1997
Country flag
Last edited:

CyberMoose

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag
Elon is right.

Bill Gates is an expert on everything the same way that Bill Nye is an expert on everything. They are experts because people believe them whether or not they have the knowledge. Bill Nye is a mechanical engineer that taught children about science through the power of television and since lots of children never grew up, he now teaches them about whatever he wants to and they still believe him. Bill gates is just extremely well known since he was the richest man in the world for so long. Everyone knew who Bill Gates is and how successful he is, so they just believe him because someone so successful must be right.

Really I think Bill Gates is the problem mostly the problem because as someone who is so well known, saying nothing really positive about Tesla and now basically saying that a huge step forward by Tesla in the Semi industry, just won't work and isn't practical, when really he has no clue. It's basically like ignoring all that Tesla has accomplished to push the EV market on the world.

MEDICALJMP

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Rav4, Tri-motor Cybertruck
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag
Gates is brilliant, but he doesn’t know everything. He also has bet on another pony in the race. It will be interesting. I know where I literally put my money.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Apple news links don't work consistently, please find source links?

Elon is right.

Bill Gates is an expert on everything the same way that Bill Nye is an expert on everything.
That is seriously inappropriate. If you have a dig at Nye, then show where he's wrong. Don't slime a guy because he does the hard work of trying to bring science to everyone.

-Crissa

CyberMoose

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag
Apple news links don't work consistently, please find source links?

That is seriously inappropriate. If you have a dig at Nye, then show where he's wrong. Don't slime a guy because he does the hard work of trying to bring science to everyone.

-Crissa
I don't feel I was wrong at all. I loved Bill Nye when I was young, but that doesn't mean he was an expert on literally any of the things that I learned from his videos. He was an mechanical engineer which is still a great field to have knowledge in, but he had a script and taught the information that he was given. It's actually very similar to how he is present in the media even in recent times, Bill didn't just go to university and study environment, psychology, and biology before going on TV and talking about them, he was reading what he given about all the information he was supposed to talk about.

This isn't new, this has literally been happening for years. Think of literally any president who has talked about science, health care, or most things that they have been a huge part of and it's not like they are taking the time to go out and do all that research, an expert does it and gives them a document to read so they can understand what it's about and then they present it.

So yes I will compare Bill Gates who isn't an expert on EV's and would have gotten his information from other sources that might not have had all the facts, to Bill Nye who also isn't as expert on the things he taught on his show or in the things he talked about in the media in recent years. It's the same idea and this will be seen everywhere, including Elon Musk, who i'm sure hasn't been completely knowledgable about everything from batteries, electric motors, the super advanced software in the cars, rocket science, neurology, and anything else he is apart of.

I'm not saying any of these people have been wrong about everything, but all of these people have been wrong about some things. So for Elon to say that Bill has no clue, is because he doesn't and what is implied is that Bill is wrong AND Bill's sources are wrong.

Edit: i'm also not saying that what Elon saying about Bill having no clue is right. Bill could be completely right. I personally agree with Elon Musk in his statement, but like i've stated previously, not everything that Elon says is completely accurate either. However, I will bet my money on him...which is also quite literal as Tesla is by far my biggest investment.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.