Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Estimator
Country flag
The only time we have seen the receiver is when it was at the Petersen museum (pic below) I am thinking this will not be standard equipment but will be optional like on other teslas. Based on the pic it appears there is a removable panel in the plastic which would indicate to me it's not intended to be on every models by default. The hitch receiver itself is a removable unit

Tesla-Cybertruck-Petersen-Automotive-Museum-Underbody.jpg

Tesla-Cybertruck-Petersen-Automotive-Museum-2_1024x1024.jpg
Of course it will come with a hitch or some way to mount a ball so you can tow. I don't think i have ever seen a truck sold that didn't come with one of those and why would towing capacity be one of the top 5 specs and it not come with the ability to tow at the listed price. Its a truck. It really would be a joke if the towing feature was not included.
Sponsored

rjo71342

First Name
ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
current:outlander phev, next:cybertruck
Occupation
custtomer service
Country flag
Given that the maximum tow capacity of the Tri-motor is 14,000 lbs, and the maximum capacity of a weight distributing Class IV hitch is also 14,000 lbs, I would assume this is what the Cybertruck will be equipped with.

So it will be the more popular 2" receiver with wide compatibility. A Class V hitch is really a commercial hitch and very special purpose in that most accessories and balls available won't fit a 2 1/2" receiver.
but you know what elon is like he always over engineers things so based on 14k+ if you tried to go past that point it would most likely be the point of failure if you don't go to that level i would not be surprised if it is

rjo71342

First Name
ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
custtomer service
Country flag
but you know what elon is like he always over engineers things so based on 14k+ if you tried to go past that point it would most likely be the point of failure if you don't go to that level i would not be surprised if it is
well this say a lot now doesn't it? 20k lbs or 9.1 tonne I TOLD YOU ALL be prepared for this
Tesla Cybertruck Hitch? told you

rjo71342

First Name
ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
custtomer service
Country flag
It looks like in this design, Tesla is giving priority to departure angle (28 degrees). TRX is 23.5 and Raptor 23.0. Elon has a Baja state of mind.

This could be a good survey. How many people would have the hitch permanently.

Model X setup tow rating is 5000 Ib. With CT3 tow rating of 14000 lb, we have to see if CT will use the same type of setup only more beefed-up or something more permanent.

If you remember something was used before. I just can't tell from this video, if the setup is te same as the one in show room photos or Model X:

Side note: With this jab at F150, and Elon trying to steal Ford's lunch money, if lightening reveals capabilities and features that makes CT less of a compelling choice (HUGE IF), that may add another "month or so" to CT update reveal while Tesla adjust the finished design. Lets hope lightening is good but not great.
i would have hitch receiver not a fixed towbar because of what's towed from a DO45 to a standard ball

rjo71342

First Name
ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
custtomer service
Country flag
well if you go to the tri motor version i can say now based on this it will be a 2.5in/60mm receiver based on 20k lbs tow load in pic
Tesla Cybertruck Hitch? told you

HaulingAss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150, 2018 Model 3 P, FS DM Cybertruck
Country flag
You're right, the Tri-motor specs do say 14,000+. This likely means there will be two removable receiver options, one for 14K+ (accepting a 2 1/2" hitch) and a standard one.

Challeco

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23ModelY,71F250,14Fusion,66Galaxie
Occupation
Medical Technologist
Country flag
I understand that a receiver hitch assembly is welded together and built of stout mild steel. However, every assembly I have ever seen has been bolted to the frame, not welded. Then they also have a sheer pin that attaches the stinger to the receiver. They have manufactured failure points and redundancies,such as safety chains and "deadman" switch cables on trailers of any substance.
All of this written to reinforce that swing away hitch assemblies are properly strong enough and valid options that the C.T. may use.

Challeco

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23ModelY,71F250,14Fusion,66Galaxie
Occupation
Medical Technologist
Country flag
It looks like in this design, Tesla is giving priority to departure angle (28 degrees). TRX is 23.5 and Raptor 23.0. Elon has a Baja state of mind.

This could be a good survey. How many people would have the hitch permanently.

Model X setup tow rating is 5000 Ib. With CT3 tow rating of 14000 lb, we have to see if CT will use the same type of setup only more beefed-up or something more permanent.

If you remember something was used before. I just can't tell from this video, if the setup is te same as the one in show room photos or Model X:

Side note: With this jab at F150, and Elon trying to steal Ford's lunch money, if lightening reveals capabilities and features that makes CT less of a compelling choice (HUGE IF), that may add another "month or so" to CT update reveal while Tesla adjust the finished design. Lets hope lightening is good but not great.
My guess is that Ford is presenting the F150 as a comparable to their I.C.E. version as a toe in the water. They aren't ready to compete directly with Tesla because it would damage their existing line up. Nothing I have seen has been remarkable compared to Tesla. However, as a daily use truck that does weekend work with yard debris, grocery runs, property maintenance with remote tool use or weekend glamping adjacent to home (where a charger is close by) the F150 is sufficient.

HaulingAss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
My guess is that Ford is presenting the F150 as a comparable to their I.C.E. version as a toe in the water. They aren't ready to compete directly with Tesla because it would damage their existing line up. Nothing I have seen has been remarkable compared to Tesla. However, as a daily use truck that does weekend work with yard debris, grocery runs, property maintenance with remote tool use or weekend glamping adjacent to home (where a charger is close by) the F150 is sufficient.
It's more than sufficient for the listed duties as long as you don't mind the price. It's just not a very good value compared to the Cybertruck Dual or Tri-motor.

HaulingAss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I understand that a receiver hitch assembly is welded together and built of stout mild steel. However, every assembly I have ever seen has been bolted to the frame, not welded. Then they also have a sheer pin that attaches the stinger to the receiver. They have manufactured failure points and redundancies,such as safety chains and "deadman" switch cables on trailers of any substance.
All of this written to reinforce that swing away hitch assemblies are properly strong enough and valid options that the C.T. may use.
The receiver will be removeable for sure. There's no way Tesla would invalidate the industry leading off-road approach/departure angles for those who want to tow.
Sponsored