Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
And it dropped all the large fires in the NW to small fires. Basically out.

When I flew up a month ago, so many mountains were actively burning. It was pretty apocalyptic. Nothing like a year ago, but still far more than I have ever seen growing up in the woods up here.

-Crissa
Sponsored

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
And it dropped all the large fires in the NW to small fires. Basically out.

When I flew up a month ago, so many mountains were actively burning. It was pretty apocalyptic. Nothing like a year ago, but still far more than I have ever seen growing up in the woods up here.

-Crissa
Not a lot of phrases I hate as much as ā€œHeat Domeā€ at this point.

OP
OP
Crissa

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Not a lot of phrases I hate as much as ā€œHeat Domeā€ at this point.
Yeah, I think I can count the summers that had one in the first twenty years of my life on one hand.

The most recent twenty I'm not sure I can count years and take up more than one hand.

-Crissa

Ranulf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tri motor
Country flag
We have had a relatively cool summer here in the Midwest. No snow on halloween like last year but we came pretty close. Getting a lot of rain.

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
Whatā€™s happening at Lake Mead is insane.

I lived in NorCal just 40 minutes away from New Melones Reservoir for decades and watched the shoreline recede over the years. Some of the trails would be under water in the spring when we first started riding there. Now the water never gets within a half a mile of the trails. I donā€™t think itā€™s been over 35% of capacity for 10 years.

You can see the high water marks on the bridge. The Russian mob used to dump bodies off this bridge because the water was deep enough they werenā€™t worried about them getting discovered.
1635530470796.jpeg

At Lake Orovilleā€”which was threatening to rupture just a few years agoā€”had to shut down power production due to low levels.

I read that Lake Mead might be forced to shut down power production within the next few years as well.
I watch the reservoir levels published by the state like a hawk and I believe that you are mistaken. New Melones and Shasta were nearly full for a couple of years just a couple of years ago. It may ā€˜feelā€™ like they are low (and this year they are for sure) but you should look at the tables. Right now (from last night) they are showing New Melones at 35% capacity and 65% of average for this day.

OP
OP
Crissa

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I watch the reservoir levels published by the state like a hawk and I believe that you are mistaken. New Melones and Shasta were nearly full for a couple of years just a couple of years ago. It may ā€˜feelā€™ like they are low (and this year they are for sure) but you should look at the tables. Right now (from last night) they are showing New Melones at 35% capacity and 65% of average for this day.
We just had basically two years without a proper rainy season. They were terribly off in capacity. Which meant during the fires, they stopped draining the reservoirs so they could use it for fire suppression. That leaves some in a weird position of having more water than they'd expect this time of year.

Most are way below the mark.

-Crissa

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
We just had basically two years without a proper rainy season. They were terribly off in capacity. Which meant during the fires, they stopped draining the reservoirs so they could use it for fire suppression. That leaves some in a weird position of having more water than they'd expect this time of year.

Most are way below the mark.

-Crissa
I was only responding to the comment about New Melones, and I agree in general with what you are saying. Here is my source. I just plotted several years and they back up what you are saying and what I am saying. Check out years 2017-2019.

http://cdec.water.ca.gov/resapp/ResDetail.action?resid=NML

There is no question that California is in seriously bad shape wrt its water supply.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Check ANY year in the past 15 or so other than those few years. Itā€™s easy to cherry pick and say ā€œOh look, not a problemā€.

2016 it was at 22% capacity In October and had trended around that level for most of the decade.

I rode out there, we put on events out there. Itā€™s cute to dig around on the internet for cherry picking factoids. We pushed kayaks half a mile down a hill covered in trees which had been under water for most of 80 years.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Crissa

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Yeah, we've had a couple of the biggest snowstorms in my life in the last four years but both melted super-quickly. Only in I think 2019 did the snow stick around later than usual but then it still had more summer melt and the glaciers are dying up there.

As a kid I don't remember summers with the volcanoes laid bare but that's what we're getting.

-Crissa
Sponsored