How long will it take before used preowned Cybertrucks are available to buy?

happy intruder

First Name
O. K.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3 Jun 2019..... Model S Jan 2020
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Yes. But, many people can't afford the new version. So they buy used.

My spouse bought me my 5-year-old Zero for half what the new one cost; and spouse's new (but a year old) Ducati only cost about 20% more than she paid cash for the used bike. :/

I plan to sell my Cybertruck when the smaller version comes out.

-Crissa
me too, if I am still living
Sponsored

alan auerbach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'90 Isuzu PU (has to last until my CT arrives), '91 Grand Marquis, '02 Grand Cherokee (I'm so grand I can't stand it), e-bike.
Occupation
Retired prof.
Country flag
The order numbers aren’t random, they are sequential. There is a tab at the top of the CT owners club where you can put in you order number and get some idea of where you are in the line.
As I recall, the first four digits indicate the date of your order.

alan auerbach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'90 Isuzu PU (has to last until my CT arrives), '91 Grand Marquis, '02 Grand Cherokee (I'm so grand I can't stand it), e-bike.
Occupation
Retired prof.
Country flag
Maybe, maybe not.

When a new model comes out, the maker sees that the automotive press gets to evaluate it. Not so with Tesla, so I bet that early owners will be generously induced to let their new vehicle get tested. Not long after (as magazine timelines go), every car mag will have a cover feature on the Cybertruck. The covers' pull-quotes might read, MUSK'S MIRACLE! Or ELON'S ERROR!

If the reviews are positive, bidding wars will let new owners sell at a tidy profit. If the evaluations indicate some major sketchiness, not so much.

Sirfun

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Chrysler Pacifica PHEV, Ford E-250
Occupation
Retired Sheet Metal Worker
Country flag
Maybe, maybe not.

When a new model comes out, the maker sees that the automotive press gets to evaluate it. Not so with Tesla, so I bet that early owners will be generously induced to let their new vehicle get tested. Not long after (as magazine timelines go), every car mag will have a cover feature on the Cybertruck. The covers' pull-quotes might read, MUSK'S MIRACLE! Or ELON'S ERROR!

If the reviews are positive, bidding wars will let new owners sell at a tidy profit. If the evaluations indicate some major sketchiness, not so much.
Motor Trend magazine was given that opportunity back in November of 2019. They wrote lots of different articles about the Cybertruck that came out after the night of the reveal. Here's one:

https://www.motortrend.com/features/tesla-cybertruck-electric-pickup-motortrend-reactions/

Quicksilver

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan van
Occupation
Retired military
Country flag
I saw this happen in the surplus military vehicle market.
When a surplus vehicle that had never been sold to the public was released the prices were out of sight (the HUMVEE was a classic example). Then as more and more were released the prices dropped depending on how many they released and how fast.
A lot of people ended up with a 30-40 year old vehicle that they had paid far too much for and were crying when they tried to sell it.
The only way I will sell mine is if they come out with a van I like.
Otherwise one of the grandkids will inherit "Papa Sarge's" Cybertruck.

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
I saw this happen in the surplus military vehicle market.
When a surplus vehicle that had never been sold to the public was released the prices were out of sight (the HUMVEE was a classic example). Then as more and more were released the prices dropped depending on how many they released and how fast.
A lot of people ended up with a 30-40 year old vehicle that they had paid far too much for and were crying when they tried to sell it.
The only way I will sell mine is if they come out with a van I like.
Otherwise one of the grandkids will inherit "Papa Sarge's" Cybertruck.
As a grandkid who inherited grandpa's old pickup, I can say it is a dream to inherit for the right kid. Funny enough I just wrote about my situation here just moments ago.

They Cybertruck being inherited though has potential to still be in full working order years after it has been inherited. Short of being severely abused, I think my Cybertruck may end up being inherited more than once.
Sponsored