How many are buying CT that DONT actually NEED a truck?

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X LR+, Lexus SUV, Toyota SR5, Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
Nothing boring about Rivian! Or Lucid. Or any of them. Were I Jay Leno I'd have one of each.
Sponsored

fritter63

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Model 3 LR, 2019 Model 3 SR+
Occupation
Retired Software Engineer, Woodworker and guitar builder extraordinaire
Country flag
Another thing I ponder which is viable... is I could just trade in for a Model Y with trailer hitch (had hoped I could retro fit on the Model 3, but no). Then I could just use my utility trailer when I need to go to Home Depot. But of course, that trailer is ALSO my wood shop "trash pile" where stuff gets thrown to haul to the dump once a year. So that would be an issue.

But even if I eliminated that use case, there is still ONE that is my #1 (and my #1 pet peeve too).... NO DOOR DINGS! :)

RonM

First Name
Ronald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 F150 CrewCab, future Cybertruck
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I need a truck for a minimum once a year (y) to pick up my Christmas tree (actually I haul windsurfers, boat, sod, trash, building materials...). But the best thing (at first), being able to fine the damn vehicle :devilish: in the parking lot (hell getting old). Even better, it can find me with FSD. A guy gotta have some fun ? in retirement! Like other commenters: NO DOOR DINGS!

Sirfun

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Chrysler Pacifica PHEV, Ford E-250
Occupation
Retired Sheet Metal Worker
Country flag
I actually need a van. But, with security of the Vault cover, the CT will be like having an AWESOME off-road capable van/truck. I also see that as being the benifit for a lot of working people who use vans as their work vehicle for the security of their tools and material.

drconner65

First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Honda CRV EX
Occupation
Heavy Equipment Machanic
Country flag
I used to have many large Vans until my work became a 130 mile round trip gas is not cheap, now I drive a Honda CRV with a trailer as needed. Been thinking electric for a while and almost put down for the model Y. I ordered the CT tri motor with FSD . But having trouble with the waiting. I live out side of Oswego NY. When it snows it is most a couple feet or more in the snow belt. CT range will help a lot also.

ElectricSheep

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Mechanical Engineering
Country flag
I'm a current picup owner. While I do not need a pickup 99% of the time for towing or hauling, there is that time once or twice a year where I do need to tow/haul things. If you're a home owner, you really should own a pickup. Can I rent one? Sure, however, there are problems with renting. No rental pickup has my wiring harness for my trailer, so I cannot haul my trailer. Also, in Texas, if you're going to haul a trailer, it has to be with a vehicle you own. There are other benefits to owning a pickup. I carry my golf clubs in the bed of my current pickup all the time. I can't carry them in the trunk of my Model 3, because that would use up all my trunk space. Also, many many many times a year I do use the bed to put something in that I wouldn't want in my car. IE: Grease, Oil, Old Wood, Paint, Metal Bars, poles, you name it. So, if you own a house, you really should own something with a bed. Also, interior space. ANYONE who's EVER sat inside a pickup, knows there's a TON more interior room in a pickup than you have in any car. It's more comfortable and there's something to be said for sitting up higher than other cars. Being able to see over the car ahead of you and anticipate that car hitting an object is something that you cannot do in a car. Example, I was driving home one day in the rain. A vehicle ahead of me was all I could see. We were going the speed limit of 70 MPH on a highway. Next thing I know, there's a 6' ladder in the road directly in front of my car. It missed my suspension on my Model 3 my an inch but did tear the fabric under the car. I was lucky. Had I been in a pickup, I might not have been able to see past the vehicle, but at least I would have been higher off the ground and wouldn't have had to worry about the ladder hitting my truck's underside. I for one, cannot wait for my Cybertruck. I plan on going to Cali to pick it up from the factory. For all the things I mentioned above. I will not be trading in my Model 3 however, because I plan on continuing to drive it and even Uber using it to help pay off bills so I can retire early. But I will have the Cybertruck for retirement.
I currently own a Jeep Rubicon and if I need to tow or haul I would just buy an inexpensive flat trailer from Harbor Freight or the like. I don't really know that I need a pickup truck at all. The off-road capabilities of the Jeep and the fact that I can and do take the top and doors off so often living in Southern Arizona is giving me second thoughts on the Cybertruck. My family does outdoor activities almost every weekend and there are many places a full-sized pickup would just not be viable or enjoyable to try to get into and out of.

I really like the Cybertruck and will make a final decision once I see them in person. The Model 3 and Model Y are great commuter cars, but I can go everywhere they can go and they have no ability to go a lot of the places I go in the Jeep. I really want an all-electric Jeep Rubicon or better yet a conversion kit and if they came out with a conversion kit they would sell a ton.

ElectricSheep

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Mechanical Engineering
Country flag
I actually need a van. But, with security of the Vault cover, the CT will be like having an AWESOME off-road capable van/truck. I also see that as being the benifit for a lot of working people who use vans as their work vehicle for the security of their tools and material.
My wife would buy the VD I.D. Buzz tomorrow if available. That will probably be the first electric vehicle we purchase if I am being realistic with myself.

Sirfun

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Chrysler Pacifica PHEV, Ford E-250
Occupation
Retired Sheet Metal Worker
Country flag
My wife would buy the VD I.D. Buzz tomorrow if available. That will probably be the first electric vehicle we purchase if I am being realistic with myself.
I hear ya. The ID Buzz with it's big smiling face would sell in the millions! So why is it that VW, the massive carmaker that it is, doesn't bring it to market? The latest rumor is that they won't be available for sale in the U.S. until 2023. VW has been pumping the public with BUZZ about the ID Buzz since 2017.
I don't know if you've seen it but here's a great video hyping the Buzz from 2018. There sure has been a lot of HYPE from Legacy car makers about how they are going into EV's for a long time! Yet look what they've actually accomplished.

LoPro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3 DM LR
Country flag
Pickups aren’t that common here. Vans and trailers are used by craftsmen instead. So I wouldn’t think of buying a truck either. More likely a new SUV.

But the CT is a comfortable AWD 6-seater with a lockable and weatherproof big locker in the back. And is dead cool and stainless steel.

I usually put my electric mountain bikes on a tow hitch stand, but with the CT they will obviously stand on the bed. Also it’s going to be good to ditch my old trailer (max 50mph on the highway) with regard to getting firewood or driving away landfill garbage. I think people here too will get their eyes up for pickups going forward from CT. Thank you USA.

EDIT: the top of the pops range is a draw too.

Last edited:

Akgolf

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 and 2022 Tesla Model Ys
Occupation
Retired Computer Programmer, USAF
Country flag
Don’t need a truck and if the Cybertruck didn’t exist I wouldn’t even consider one.

What I need is a vehicle for us and our two dogs and all the gear we travel with. That was going to be the Model X, but having all of the gear in a secure vault is a huge plus. Over 500 miles of range doesn’t hurt either.

Diehard

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Olds Aurora V8, Saturn Sky redline, Lightning, CT2
Country flag
We already have an ICE in good shape and have room for one EV to keep it diversified. If Buzz come out before I can get my CT (late 23, early 24), I may end up in divorce court over which EV.

I use the truckiness of my truck 20-30 times a year. Half those times an SUV would do the job.

The thing is when I do use it, I feel in charge of my own destiny. There is something about the bed. Until I bought my first truck, didn't want one. The compromise was comfort and big space inside. CT is comfortable and if we get the mid-gate, there will be no compromise at all.

Last edited:

Stinkd

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Prius V5, 1948 Bus, Mercedes SL500
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I was always an owner of certain types of cars, and I have always had a specification of only owning vehicles that fit one of two catergories- The vehicle had to either be a convertible, or one spacious enough that I can sleep in it.

Multi purposes always made more sense to me, so the only Tesla I ever test drove had a backseat that folded flat, it was a model of the X. But, I wasn't interested enough to purchase.

I've owned a 76' VW bus, a large Greyhound Bus RV, a VW Eurovan, a 2002 Subaru Outback, a Saab 900 (green, and convertible, just like the vehicle in the movie Sideways), a 1998 Mercedes SLK, a 2004 Mercedes 500 SL, and I've owned two separate Prius V's.

I never had a need for a pick up truck, but, the ability to sleep comfortably in the Cybertruck, and have full view out of the see through roof, and have a great view of the road, mountains, and oceans, plus having Tesla technology, and full electric charging? Sign me up!

xodarap1

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Buick Encore, Nissan Sentra, >>> Cybertruck TM
Occupation
Security
Country flag
I don’t really need a CT, but it has what I would want in a car with better cabin space and the option to do more whenever needed. 500 mile range would be super.

But..

I’m still kind of in shock though after watching the Z Motor Reviews cybertruck vs cybertruck finalized cybertruck video.

If they really have removed the tilt from the centerline and squared/boxed off the rear/tailgate like that, I may be reconsidering the purchase.

If it’s true (and I realize it may not be) I’m not a fan of the more traditional box truck changes.