JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
When was the last time you saw someone fail at door open input?

Also.. if almost all input is error.. how did we evolve from stone tools through to electric vehicles that have some form of self driving? That's a lot of not failed input over a short period of time in the earth's history!

I've got no problem with no door handles, or FSD if that is your thing. As much evolution as possible is great for optimization of life.. but his "ethos" is cherry picking which inputs are almost all error prone. Its overly dramatic. A simple.. "who doesn't love optimizing and ease of use?!" would do perfectly fine over calling the sum total of human history mostly error!

:LOL:
I think EM would count your post as user input = error. ;-)

I think the real meaning is that whatever device that is created for a purpose, fails to achieve that purpose without user input, (if possible) has also failed the manufacturers intent and design.

For example, the user wants to travel from place to place. The manufacturer wants to facilitate that but requires you to first complete a survey and a disclaimer, instruct you on the operation of the vehicle, and to start the vehicle and put it in gear. MS Plaid knows you want to go somewhere when you get in the car, and knows it won't be getting far by driving over the curb or through a fence, so it chooses reverse first.

I suppose the key to the principal is the word "user". Not designer input etc.
Sponsored

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Is this still the system with fewer components and less engineering? :)
Less engineering? No.

Less components? Yes. One breaker that's hidden inside instead of a multi-linkage device penetrating the outer skin of the door?

"Tell me you've never tried to repair a bent door handle release without telling me you've never tried to repair..."
*grin*

I have disassembled and reassembled the doors on every car I've owned, which is prolly why I'm here on a truck website.

-Crissa

flowerlandfilms

First Name
Eryk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yamaha SRV-250, Honda Odyssey RB1
Occupation
Film Maker
Country flag
"All input is error." (When you have robots)

Throwcomputer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
07 Ridgeline, Vintage Vespas, 02 Harley Sportster
Occupation
TV & Film
Country flag
Less engineering? No.

Less components? Yes. One breaker that's hidden inside instead of a multi-linkage device penetrating the outer skin of the door?

"Tell me you've never tried to repair a bent door handle release without telling me you've never tried to repair..."
*grin*

I have disassembled and reassembled the doors on every car I've owned, which is prolly why I'm here on a truck website.

-Crissa
goddamn those plastic push clips! I always loose or break a few every time the door trim comes off!

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Is this still the system with fewer components and less engineering? :)
The non/handle version of this part is you yanking on the door latch incredibly hard in sub freezing weather trying to force a frozen door open. This is dangerous (big slip hazard), unpleasant, and also requires a large amount of reinforcing and testing to make that door handle strong enough to withstand repeated hard yanking.

Often people get sucked into this idea that an existing solution doesn’t require engineering or resources. It absolutely does. Door handles are a high maintenance, high wear part and need to withstand a lot of force repeatedly and work reliably.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Anything that pierces the skin is a pain to deal with.

Think like those water column vents going through the roof... Which is less bother, a collector that goes through the roof but grabs all of the vents sharing a room/wall, that you then only have to roof around once... Or one for each water tap?

The latter is simpler. Until you have to fix the roof. Which you will.

-Crissa

uff_da

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Seems like the door has a physical press which you see Elon use when he gets in. It's similar to how you open a microwave door.
I really hope it's a "press" button so winter drivers can do it with gloves on. (Not a fingerprint sensor). I would be on with both, but simple "press" is what I want.

Dusty

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Model Y Performance
Occupation
Creator
Country flag
goddamn those plastic push clips! I always loose or break a few every time the door trim comes off!
The lesson I learned 3 cars ago. As soon as you get a new car, find out what size/type plastic push pins it has and immediately buy a bag of them.

They're never in stock so you have to wait to get them, but you don't need them, so there's no hurry. Now you have replacements ready to go for when the inevitable happens.

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
This thread has devolved from reporting on how the CT doors will actualy open, which I was looking forward to seeing and hearing about, to old wishes, hopes, and concerns. I do not know why I am reading all this since the only information was on the first couple of pages (and I was never able to view the zoomed slowmo video).

I know we are all starved for information, I sure as hell am, but come on....who would intentionally design a pickup truck door that wouldn't work in any pickup truck scenario?

Dusty

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Model Y Performance
Occupation
Creator
Country flag
Serious question . . . What "pick-up truck scenario"?

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
This thread has devolved from reporting on how the CT doors will actualy open, which I was looking forward to seeing and hearing about, to old wishes, hopes, and concerns. I do not know why I am reading all this since the only information was on the first couple of pages (and I was never able to view the zoomed slowmo video).
At least it hasn’t devolved into arguing politics which seems to strike many older thread randomly.

I know we are all starved for information, I sure as hell am, but come on....who would intentionally design a pickup truck door that wouldn't work in any pickup truck scenario?
Refresh me. Which scenario are you talking about?

A lot of people are making assumptions about something they‘ve never dealt with. How can you love/ hate a thing when you really don’t know how it will work in a given scenario?

HaulingAss

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150, 2018 Model 3 Perform, FS Cybertruck
Country flag
I hope there is a nice edge by the window to facilitate a solid grip. Here in the frozen wasteland known as Canada, we sometimes have to really pull to get a frozen door open.
That's the great thing about Tesla, they make winter easier. Car put away hot and encased in ice? No problem:

Sponsored