Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Your math is wrong. Remember there are two castings per truck, front and rear clips. So 2 min per casting would be 4 min per truck. Which equates to 15 trucks per hour, 120 trucks per 8 hour shift. 360 for every 3 shifts, 1,800 per week, 90,000 trucks for a 50 week year. So, they are definitely running much faster cycle times.
It may be a total to 2 min between injection molding, unloading and cooling. But while unloading a cooling they’re injection molding the next one. Thats what Munro was saying.
More castings per truck means more presses per truck, not the same press used twice. Because of downtime to change the molds would be horrendous.

Remember any numbers could be missing downtime for swapping out the molds, or even recycles time for the coolant injectors and vacuum charges. Over a year, the gigapresses were spitting out a Model Y rear casting every two minutes - but they stop to change the molds once in awhile, then have to do some verification runs, and the older machines were using a different coolant system so...

🤷🏼‍♀️

-Crissa
Sponsored

cybguy

First Name
Pablo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 Pilatus PC-12, 2016 Bolt, 2024 Forester
Occupation
Temporarily unRetired
Country flag
I'm not frustrated at all. I made a preorder on a vehicle that wasn't finalized and didn't even have a location for a factory to build it yet. Tesla hasn't really teased anything, it's just obsessed fans trying to dig up info. If you needed a vehicle quickly, you should have picked something with a factory to build it.
I've
I'm not frustrated at all. I made a preorder on a vehicle that wasn't finalized and didn't even have a location for a factory to build it yet. Tesla hasn't really teased anything, it's just obsessed fans trying to dig up info. If you needed a vehicle quickly, you should have picked something with a factory to build it.
Exactly. I placed my first Cybertruck order 10 minutes into the unveiling only because I wanted a new truck in 4-5 years. I also didn't want one in the first 10,000 produced. Over the years I've been shot down so many times on this and other sites because I was always realistic. Well actually I wasn't all that realistic as I expected first deliveries by late August 2023 (2 Martian years). I still think Tesla could have a few hundred deliveries this year. I don't care if they give spec and prices the day before the first delivery.

PilotPete

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche, BMW, M3LR on order
Occupation
Chief Pilot
Country flag
More castings per truck means more presses per truck, not the same press used twice. Because of downtime to change the molds would be horrendous.
-Crissa
Or, you could make both castings at the same time. It’s a dang big press. You could cast both simultaneously together at the same time all at once.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I've

Exactly. I placed my first Cybertruck order 10 minutes into the unveiling only because I wanted a new truck in 4-5 years. I also didn't want one in the first 10,000 produced. Over the years I've been shot down so many times on this and other sites because I was always realistic. Well actually I wasn't all that realistic as I expected first deliveries by late August 2023 (2 Martian years). I still think Tesla could have a few hundred deliveries this year. I don't care if they give spec and prices the day before the first delivery.
Yeah, I wasn't going to even want a new car until December 2022, so having to wait from Nov 2019 wasn't a big deal.

It's a teensy bit later than estimated, tho. So I understand the frustration.

-Crissa

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Or, you could make both castings at the same time. It’s a dang big press. You could cast both simultaneously together at the same time all at once.
Then you'd need an even bigger press! There's some issues of scaling that we're probably not privy to.

-Crissa

Mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Country flag
The Tesla lithium refinery plant is scheduled to be up and running in Q1 2024. The Cybertruck volume production puzzle is almost complete.

Being vertically integrated gives Tesla a huge competitive advantage over the competition. I believe the Austin cathode plant is coming on line soon as well.

Tesla Cybertruck Hundreds of Cybertruck castings spotted at Giga Texas! 🤩 C00E61B9-9917-4467-BEDB-3021D05BCF4F

Petertsai

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla S, cybertruck reservation
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
Not good manufacturing technique to stock that many cast parts. should be just in time inventory. Does not make sense to stack them out side and then bring them inside. Could be rejects ready for remelt.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Not good manufacturing technique to stock that many cast parts. should be just in time inventory. Does not make sense to stack them out side and then bring them inside. Could be rejects ready for remelt.
They need to cure;
The casting machine can spit one out every minute or two when it's running;
But then it stops running for days while it needs a new mold and maintenance.

So you need to build up a queue of them. It's no different than having a bin of screws. You don't have today's screws arrive just in time - you have enough screws so that whenever the next truck arrives you're just finishing off the last one. That way the factory never halts because one part hasn't arrives.

When you're early, you're on time; when you're late, you're late.

-Crissa

Petertsai

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla S, cybertruck reservation
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
Aluminum casting usually have issues with porosity. Hopefully this injection molding process has fixed that otherwise there will be cracks.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Aluminum casting usually have issues with porosity. Hopefully this injection molding process has fixed that otherwise there will be cracks.
These casts are done under vacuum, with a metal that's been formulated to reject gasses.

-Crissa

madquadbiker

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Navara NP300, Honda e, Honda TRX700XX
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Is there any room inside? 🤞🤞🤞🤞🤞

Ed Harris

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Realtor
Country flag
Spotted by Joe Tegtmeyer

Big News at Giga Texas on this 6 Oct 2023! If you are a short term analysts looking to fill a spreadsheet, or someone looking for a flashy new Cybertruck on the outbound lot, you just won't understand the milestone these images represent. Hint, we have never seen this many Cybertruck F & R castings ... ever. What could this mean?

F7w-QaZW4AA1mo6.jpeg

F7w-QaTXsAAKCE4.jpeg

F7w-QaaWgAAeoOm.jpeg

F7w-QaZWIAASqhp.jpeg
This is from my insider at the Texas plant. Posted a few minutes ago
Tesla Cybertruck Hundreds of Cybertruck castings spotted at Giga Texas! 🤩 1696872599059
Sponsored