Reaction score
Website
shorttakes.substack.com
Vehicles
1997 Tahoe 2 door 4x4
Occupation
Retired software developer and heavy commercial design builder
Country flag
He’s good until french fries get canceled. Hope he’s burnin’ In’N Out fries. We need to support them!

datechboss101

First Name
Akaash
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Acura MDX
Occupation
IT Help Desk
Country flag
https://www.mercurynews.com/2021/03...rs-ask-biden-to-ban-sale-of-gas-powered-cars/

This would be faster if all states banned sales of new ICE engines. Petroleum based fuel would phase out +20 so 2055 no more gasoline. Synthetic fuels will rise to fill the demand thereafter.
I honestly don't see ICE vehicles leaving us anytime in the near future. But California, is a different state, unlike the rest of the country; they are in the same line as the EU. I used to live there while it was more reasonable to live there (early 2000s). That state alone is trying to make you to not work on your vehicles if you are a DIY type of person. Just too much power has gone to the state government, the way we all see it.

Banning ICE engines sales honestly makes no sense. Engineering and manufacturing of ICE vehicles is still improving, and EVs are still in their infancy. So is Fuel Celled vehicles, biofuels, etc. All are still in their early phases. Before we can even move to full EV, we need to make sure our Power grid can support EVs, which will increase the amount of power required by a significant amount.

There are just so much variables that its really unjustifiable to ban sale of NEW ICE vehicles.

nitrohuck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tri Motor Cybertruck
Country flag
I honestly don't see ICE vehicles leaving us anytime in the near future. But California, is a different state, unlike the rest of the country; they are in the same line as the EU. I used to live there while it was more reasonable to live there (early 2000s). That state alone is trying to make you to not work on your vehicles if you are a DIY type of person. Just too much power has gone to the state government, the way we all see it.

Banning ICE engines sales honestly makes no sense. Engineering and manufacturing of ICE vehicles is still improving, and EVs are still in their infancy. So is Fuel Celled vehicles, biofuels, etc. All are still in their early phases. Before we can even move to full EV, we need to make sure our Power grid can support EVs, which will increase the amount of power required by a significant amount.

There are just so much variables that its really unjustifiable to ban sale of NEW ICE vehicles.
I could certainly imagine that in the foreseeable future people may need special (paid for) exemptions in order to have ICE vehicles. I can hear California's gov't rubbing their greedy hands together already.

There will pretty much always be a need for fossil fuel, but it may just be relegated to special use vehicles, etc. Obviously this is still a long way off

Sirfun

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Chrysler Pacifica PHEV, Ford E-250
Occupation
Retired Sheet Metal Worker
Country flag
This banning talk is ridiculous. When you make crap illegal you just create a bunch of illegal activities. There was a time our government banned all sales of alcohol. That didn't go well at all. There's always going to be 2 sides to every issue.
I get it stop new production like they did years ago with 2 stroke motorcycles and they will slowly fade away. There are still 2 strokes around and they're still loved by many. But the numbers are dwindling.
This was the reason I voted to legalize Weed. I have no intention of smoking any, but when it's illegal you have massive amounts of illegal activities and people even getting killed because of it.
Phase out production of new Ice vehicles in 15 years or so, but there's nothing wrong with having an emotional attachment to old technology. Let things run their course!

Bigvbear

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
ts.la
Vehicles
2001 Chevy Tracker, 2018 Jeep Cherokee
Occupation
IT
Country flag
Oil and gas are not going anywhere. yes we will reduce the number of ICE vehicles on the road, but you will still have airplanes that will need fuel, military vehicles, etc. Plus we will still need oil products (like plastic, grease, etc) to make electric vehicles.

datechboss101

First Name
Akaash
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Acura MDX
Occupation
IT Help Desk
Country flag
There's something I still need clarification on, that these democrat aligned politicians needs to answer: How do you turn an EV to a racecar and add additional power to it without waiting for the manufacturer sending an OTA update to increase it? I.e.: Turbo chargers, Superchargers, exhaust systems, etc., that are common power modifications on ICE vehicles. And would we move to full ethanol based fuel if gasoline is completely banned as a fuel source?

When it comes to automobiles, I swear, the people we elect has no single idea on what they are doing. Hence, all these stupid bans, regulations, etc.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag

GnarlyDudeLive

First Name
Darin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 F350 Dually (Tri-CT reservation)
Occupation
Database Administrator
Country flag
https://www.google.com/search?q=ev+open+source+motor+controller

They're just talking about banning new sales of retail cars. Why all this panic? There will still be the used and custom market.

-Crissa

The reality is, once the upfront cost of EV's are on point or lower than the ICE alternative and the cost of ownership and operating is lower, ICE based vehicles are simply going to fade away. No reasonable person is going to spend more money on something that is inferior in multiple ways and depreciates faster.

It is an absolute waste of time and effort (tax payers contributions) to develop new laws and restrictions for something that is going to naturally occur relatively quickly anyhow. Lawmakers: Please spend that effort somewhere doing something more production.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
The reality is, once the upfront cost of EV's are on point or lower than the ICE alternative and the cost of ownership and operating is lower, ICE based vehicles are simply going to fade away. No reasonable person is going to spend more money on something that is inferior in multiple ways and depreciates faster.
True.

It is an absolute waste of time and effort (tax payers contributions) to develop new laws and restrictions for something that is going to naturally occur relatively quickly anyhow. Lawmakers: Please spend that effort somewhere doing something more production.
Untrue.

Using our representatives, we can shape when and how the changeover happens. It will take longer if we don't. And even worse: If we don't prepare for it, which most people won't, will cost us. Alot.

-Crissa

Bigvbear

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
ts.la
Vehicles
2001 Chevy Tracker, 2018 Jeep Cherokee
Occupation
IT
Country flag
There's something I still need clarification on, that these democrat aligned politicians needs to answer: How do you turn an EV to a racecar and add additional power to it without waiting for the manufacturer sending an OTA update to increase it? I.e.: Turbo chargers, Superchargers, exhaust systems, etc., that are common power modifications on ICE vehicles. And would we move to full ethanol based fuel if gasoline is completely banned as a fuel source?

When it comes to automobiles, I swear, the people we elect has no single idea on what they are doing. Hence, all these stupid bans, regulations, etc.
do a bit of research. there is entire leagues dedicated to EV racing.

https://www.fiaformulae.com/

or better still click here and look down at the bottom at all the EV racing thats going on, even stock cars.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electric_motorsport

GnarlyDudeLive

First Name
Darin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 F350 Dually (Tri-CT reservation)
Occupation
Database Administrator
Country flag
True.

Untrue.

Using our representatives, we can shape when and how the changeover happens. It will take longer if we don't. And even worse: If we don't prepare for it, which most people won't, will cost us. Alot.

-Crissa
Perhaps I should have prefaced that with "IMO:" in which case it is true. =)
Sponsored