ICE proposed EOL 2035

BillyGee

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y P, Model 3 LR, Founders CT (Ordered)
Occupation
Technician
Country flag
It's an okay idea in principle, but I've lived in CA almost all of my life and what I've noticed is that if people can't get it in CA they just cross a border to get it. You'll see a huge spike in BC, Oregon, Nevada and Arizona plates on the same vehicles they're trying to ban.

If the cost of gas keeps going the way it is people will be more flexible with the change, but where theres a will there's a way. If anything you'd need to make it less convenient to operate an ICE vehicle than an EV, but that means you need a useful alternative infrastructure for it and incentives to get people to swap beyond all the normal benefits we know about for EVs. It also means that the energy industry will need to be able to accommodate the change, but that would mean diverting fuel processing efforts into renewables and low carbon footprint solutions.

Tldr: banning the cars is treating the symptom, not the problem.
Sponsored

Sirfun

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Chrysler Pacifica PHEV, Ford E-250
Occupation
Retired Sheet Metal Worker
Country flag
Fewer than one-in-four sixteen year olds get their license now. And even getting it at 18 is dropping, as well. We've made it so difficult, expensive, and well, not useful for kids to know how to drive.

-Crissa
My 17 yr old is waiting till 18. Yes it's expensive. Also with Covid he has no need to drive anywhere. Actually it's all my fault. The kid is big time into racing online. There is no doubt in my mind when he starts driving he's going to be testing his ability. I have no desire to be responsible for his actions. I told him no way he's getting a license until he's 18 and I'm not liable for his misadventures. :cautious:
Luckily it hasn't cause much friction. And he's WAY more mature now that he's almost 18.

GnarlyDudeLive

First Name
Darin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 F350 Dually (Tri-CT reservation)
Occupation
Database Administrator
Country flag
Fewer than one-in-four sixteen year olds get their license now. And even getting it at 18 is dropping, as well. We've made it so difficult, expensive, and well, not useful for kids to know how to drive.

-Crissa
Exactly. Sort of like Cable/Satellite TV subscriptions. The younger generation of adults have no interest in live television programming. Day old, month old streaming services are they way it works for them. My last teen at home has no clue how to even work the cable TV box or find anything on it. She is a Netflix/Hulu/Amazon Prime only child, lol.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
That's why it's important to set an end date. So we can all prepare at the same time.

California has pretty extensive air pollution problems, and despite our efforts, the base line acceptable has tightened while climate change has created new, scary sources. It's all about the number of days exceeding limits, and if natural sources exceed the limits on more days, that means we can't exceed as many days from things we can control.

-Crissa
Sponsored