I'd like it if Elon went back to free supercharging for Teslas.

Barb

First Name
Barb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 Model S
Occupation
retired teacher
Country flag
I have a 2012 Model S, and when I got it, it was promised that charging at Superchargers would be free forever...well, that changed, although I will say that it's been honored with my car for as long as I own it. It got me to thinking that when Superchargers were opened to all brands of cars, it might be a smart idea to allow Teslas to charge for free, again. The frustration of stalls being filled by non-Teslas will be frustrating, and this would help appease Tesla owners. This would also be quite an insentive for a person to choose a Tesla over another brand, and the company would still make money on the Superchargers by their use from other cars. What am I not considering?
Sponsored

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L
Occupation
Fun-employed
Country flag
It got me to thinking that when Superchargers were opened to all brands of cars, it might be a smart idea to allow Teslas to charge for free, again. The frustration of stalls being filled by non-Teslas will be frustrating, a....What am I not considering?
if you're not concerned about superchargers becoming crowded by the millions of Tesla's being sold in the next few of years, then you shouldn't be concerned about the maybe tens of thousands of non-Tesla cars that will be sold with NACS in the next few of years

non-Teslas will be a rounding error in terms of competition for supercharger stalls

BayouCityBob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Model 3
Country flag
IMO free supercharging is an absolutely horrible idea. It creates an economic incentive for people to use superchargers to charge locally when they could be charging at home and clogs up the scarce resource.

I would be fine with free, unlimited supercharging if it was only at superchargers more than 100 miles from your house, and, of course, if idle fees applied (in fact, I would like to see double slow-charging fees for any vehicle charging below 50 kw).

newwave1331

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ordered: Cybertruck Tri FSD x 3
Country flag
I think free DCFC is a horrible idea. I'm good with charging by the minute so slower vehicles are paying more per kWh. Superchargers in my area are $0.42/kWh and regular gas is about $3.50/gal. You wont save much of fuel if your at DCFCs often.

If you cant normally charge off-peak at your home on Lv2 charger, then stay with ICE for now.

newwave1331

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I would be fine with free, unlimited supercharging if it was only at superchargers more than 100 miles from your house, and, of course, if idle fees applied (in fact, I would like to see double slow-charging fees for any vehicle charging below 50 kw).
I would use SCs within 100 miles of my house because I would drive to multiple locations per day for work. My 2019 M3P needed to stop to charge on those really cold days. It might only be for 5-10 minutes so I could get home.

Sirfun

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Chrysler Pacifica PHEV, Ford E-250
Occupation
Retired Sheet Metal Worker
Country flag
I would use SCs within 100 miles of my house because I would drive to multiple locations per day for work. My 2019 M3P needed to stop to charge on those really cold days. It might only be for 5-10 minutes so I could get home.
OK, so that costs you a couple of dollars. Isn't that a good value, as opposed to having to deal with hordes of people free supercharging, and overcrowding the system?

Diehard

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Olds Aurora V8, Saturn Sky redline, Lightning, CT2
Country flag
As others have mentioned higher price means less congestion, lower/free means more.

My buddy wouldn’t put a charger at home since he has free charging for two years. Even though he has high income and his time is valuable, he finds a way to justify spending it next to a public charger. As others mentioned, this will only add to congestion at superchargers. On top of that, even if some Tesla owners prefer the convenience of charging at home, when going on a trip, having a supercharger more expensive than EA may give them incentive to go to EA and reduce the congestion at supercharger. Having it cheaper or free to Tesla’s on top of better performance will do the opposite.

In short congestion wise it won’t help but it could help Tesla sell more cars (That is until congestion get out of hand).

Last edited:

newwave1331

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
OK, so that costs you a couple of dollars. Isn't that a good value, as opposed to having to deal with hordes of people free supercharging, and overcrowding the system?
To clarify, Yes. I’m in favor of paying for each time you use a SC. No one should get free charging, especially forever or transferable.

Crimson_Fate

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
I avoid supercharging like the plague ... Only if I absolutley have to .

If I was leasing a car or traded it in ever few years I wouldn't care but I'm going to be driving this until the battery fails so I want that to be a while.

CyberExperience

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Website
flyingmpartners.com
Vehicles
Jeep Rubicon, Chevy, Porsche , BMW GS, SeaBreezeLX
Occupation
Analyst
Country flag
Remember nothing is free. The whole charging thing is a mess and will not get better soon and I expect it will only get more expensive as time goes on.

CT Owner Vito

First Name
Vito
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 MS, 2020MY, 5 Cybertrucks on order!
Occupation
Forensic Alarm Investigator
Country flag
To clarify, Yes. I’m in favor of paying for each time you use a SC. No one should get free charging, especially forever or transferable.
I completely disagree. For those of us early adopters, it is our guaranteed benefit to have forever free Super Charging.
After all, if we didn’t jump at the chance back then, NONE of the rest of the followers would even have a chance of being owners, at all.
WE took a chance on a new, untested company that had completely new products and technologies. As such, we earned the rewards.
No one who joined later, has any standing to take it away.

newwave1331

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I completely disagree. For those of us early adopters, it is our guaranteed benefit to have forever free Super Charging.
After all, if we didn’t jump at the chance back then, NONE of the rest of the followers would even have a chance of being owners, at all.
WE took a chance on a new, untested company that had completely new products and technologies. As such, we earned the rewards.
No one who joined later, has any standing to take it away.
I'm not against the early adaptors keeping free unlimited Supercharging but Tesla should not be offering it on Model S/X in 2023 (even if it was only for 3 years).

How have you used that unlimited free supercharging? Do you Lv2 charge at home most of the time or do you mostly supercharge because it's free?

CT Owner Vito

First Name
Vito
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 MS, 2020MY, 5 Cybertrucks on order!
Occupation
Forensic Alarm Investigator
Country flag
I'm not against the early adaptors keeping free unlimited Supercharging but Tesla should not be offering it on Model S/X in 2023 (even if it was only for 3 years).

How have you used that unlimited free supercharging? Do you Lv2 charge at home most of the time or do you mostly supercharge because it's free?
I always charge at SC with my 1st S. And, when I am home, I use one of the two HPWC I installed in my garage. The 2nd one is mostly used for my wife’s S which doesn’t have forever free SC.
But, you need to understand that my 2014 S gets driven around 1000 miles per week, and now has over 215,000 miles on it. I absolutely love these cars. I have owned every model Tesla (with the exception of the original Roadster and the Semi). I am now happily and patiently waiting on my future multiple Cybertrucks….

PilotPete

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche, BMW, M3LR on order
Occupation
Chief Pilot
Country flag
I wouldn’t want the price to increase for the free SC access. Why? Because. I’ll rarely use it. I’m installing solar and a pair of PWs with the entire system sized to handle 2 BEVs and a pool (none of which we have yet). So the power for me is “free”. I drive about 6,000 miles/YEAR, but I expect that to double with the CT. If I leave the house at 80% every morning, I’ll need SC access MAYBE 2x a year. A 500 mile range would mean charging it every 2-4 WEEKS for me. I don’t want to pay for something I’m not going to use on a regular basis.

OP
OP

Barb

First Name
Barb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 Model S
Occupation
retired teacher
Country flag

I charge at home most of the time...98% of the time. When I drive up to Burlington, I'll charge there, but I rarely go.
Sponsored