CybrBEAST
Occupation
retired
Country flag
Musk said new platform in 2024

We have had meetings in India and Indonesia

9 ton being shipped to Asia

-----------------------------------

Indonesia ?, but where is the factory, and where is the foundation to install this thing ?

If IDRA is being truthful, and it is being shipped to Asia, Tesla or some other company has been able to get the factory off the ground without anyone knowing.

Maybe Tesla will just keep it in storage and give IDRA the space to keep making them.
Sponsored

Sirfun

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Chrysler Pacifica PHEV, Ford E-250
Occupation
Retired Sheet Metal Worker
Country flag
Tesla has committed to building the Cybertruck in China... Is that it? Then maybe the Aussies and UKers will actually get theirs...

-Crissa
This would make perfect sense to me. Giga Texas will probably have enough demand for Cybertrucks from US/Canada, that they will be behind for years. All the rest of the world will be clamoring for Cybertrucks. Tesla has to figure out a way to build those Cybertrucks. Shanghi makes sense.
In addition to that, don't you think Tesla wants to make a Cybertruck that will compete with the Toyota Hillux?

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag

-----------------------------------

Indonesia ?, but where is the factory, and where is the foundation to install this thing ?

If IDRA is being truthful, and it is being shipped to Asia, Tesla or some other company has been able to get the factory off the ground without anyone knowing.

Maybe Tesla will just keep it in storage and give IDRA the space to keep making them.
Look at the picture. It isn't red and white so it isn't Tesla. Also that round thing on the left is nothing like what Tesla uses. I suspect it is for something else.

OP
OP
Ogre

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag

It would be quite interesting if it wasn’t China.

I think this is pretty unlikely. If they don’t have a factory to install it in, Tesla has space for more Gigapresses in Berlin and Texas. Leaving it parked for 12+ months while they install a factory seems unlikely.

There was talk not long ago about Tesla breaking ground in China and negotiating a factory location. Maybe they used an alternative name and got it built quietly while people were looking elsewhere. It wouldn’t be the first time people have used aliases to quietly buy up property and start development.

charliemagpie

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CybrBEAST
Occupation
retired
Country flag
Look at the picture. It isn't red and white so it isn't Tesla. Also that round thing on the left is nothing like what Tesla uses. I suspect it is for something else.
You may be right.

Someone can fill in the blanks... Was it another company in China using the press to make bases for towers ?
Just a vague titbit I hardly took notice of.. but may be relevant in this case.

Throwcomputer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
07 Ridgeline, Vintage Vespas, 02 Harley Sportster
Occupation
TV & Film
Country flag
Another thought occurred to me. We’re seeing a lot of GP parts in Texas. Is it possible they received 2 Giga Presses and we are seeing bits and pieces from both? Didn’t they just fill in 2 giant holes in the floor for Gigapresses? Why would they fill the second now if they weren’t ready to start installing it? Typically they don’t pour the foundation until just before the press is installed.

More random conjecture follows!

If this second pad is for a second 9k Ton press. Is it possible Tesla is rolling out their G3 platform in Texas in parallel with the Cybertruck ramp or shortly following it?

Not saying it’s likely. I’d give it a 5% chance. Like rolling a Nat 20. (Nerds will get that one)
I believe the two pads are for the two halves of the 9k press. I think people are underestimating how much larger the 9k press probably is.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
The really striking thing about this is Tesla would not be taking delivery unless they were ready to start their assembly line. This puts Gen3 production start out 9-12 months rather than 18-24 months most people had assumed. Tesla is snatching a 1 year march here.
There has been rumors of it being shorter, but that may be a mirage.

It might also be that since it's the 'new' method, they need more screwing-around time. Or aren't confident in it, regulatory-wise, which is why it's going to China... But I didn't think they had developed the China studio that far yet.

Could put Semi on that RORO, too.

-Crissa

android04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Tesla Model 3 LR RWD, Tesla Cybertruck Tri-motor (reserved)
Country flag
I think I remember someone saying (maybe it was Sandy Munro) that there was a Chinese EV manufacturer that was also planning to use large castings like Tesla. Can't remember if it was XPeng or NIO. Also don't know if they would use IDRA machines or a local Chinese company's machines.

Just pointing out that Tesla aren't the only ones using our with plans to use these large castings machines, but I do hope this 9k ton one is headed for Tesla's factory.

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
I think I remember someone saying (maybe it was Sandy Munro) that there was a Chinese EV manufacturer that was also planning to use large castings like Tesla. Can't remember if it was XPeng or NIO. Also don't know if they would use IDRA machines or a local Chinese company's machines.

Just pointing out that Tesla aren't the only ones using our with plans to use these large castings machines, but I do hope this 9k ton one is headed for Tesla's factory.
IDRA was actually bought by a Chinese company and they also make gigapresses … and supposedly have a 12K ton gigapress already. But I heard that on a YouTube channel so who knows :)

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag

Ehninger1212

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A3 E-Tron - 2005 Land Rover LR3 - T-Bucket - 1951 chevy 3100
Occupation
Architect/Fabricator
Country flag
I kind of wondered about that but it seems like a stretch. (I assume you are joking here)

I think we’ll get our answers here.

1673304577468.png
I think they are about to cast an entire chassis for the gen 3 platform. would be SICK

KrodEKid

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota corolla, Mazda 5
Country flag
This is good news for IDRA.

As it pertains to Tesla is simply speculation.

Interesting to see everyone's wheels turning with possibilities though. And yet it's just that spinning wheels. 😆

OP
OP
Ogre

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Volvo &/ or Polestar were talking about it. But last I heard they don’t have the expertise to pull it off. Takes some materials science know how to get there.

This is good news for IDRA.

As it pertains to Tesla is simply speculation.

Interesting to see everyone's wheels turning with possibilities though. And yet it's just that spinning wheels. 😆
Spinning wheels is all we got.

Tesla is the most likely customer. They are the only ones who have used this sized press in the past and they have a relationship. Plus the press is in Tesla colors. It’s not a shoe in.

Worth mentioning because the timing is right in a few ways.

Tesla is promising 50% annual growth, to get there they need to increase production by 600,000 cars in 2023 and more than a million in 2024. There is enough installed capacity to ramp up to hit their 2023 goals, but it’s a stretch for them to ramp up to their 2024 goals without new capacity coming online. If they bring this capacity online at the end of 2023, they should be able to hit their 2024 goals without much trouble.

Shorter term, it’s just an interesting coincidence that Tesla is having an investors meeting regarding their generation 3 platform right about when this gets delivered.

But… yes spinning wheels and speculation.

Paradox

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Escalade ESV Platinum, CT TriMotor FSD
Country flag
非常期待cybertruck能在中国生产。cybertruck在中国将有一个非常巨大的市场
I translated your post but we are English speakers/posters on here so if you should have a way to translate into English before posting it would be quite helpful. :)

Their post reads:
I am very much looking forward to the fact that cybertruck can be produced in China. Cybertruck will have a very huge market in China
Sponsored