kbolt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Another thought occurred to me. We’re seeing a lot of GP parts in Texas. Is it possible they received 2 Giga Presses and we are seeing bits and pieces from both? Didn’t they just fill in 2 giant holes in the floor for Gigapresses? Why would they fill the second now if they weren’t ready to start installing it? Typically they don’t pour the foundation until just before the press is installed.

More random conjecture follows!

If this second pad is for a second 9k Ton press. Is it possible Tesla is rolling out their G3 platform in Texas in parallel with the Cybertruck ramp or shortly following it?

Not saying it’s likely. I’d give it a 5% chance. Like rolling a Nat 20. (Nerds will get that one)
Tesla rolled a Nat 1 - the press is for BYD lol

kbolt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Last time Musk even hinted that they were delaying the lower cost Tesla, the share price dropped 10%.

If they announce it is starting up later this year I fully expect the share price to jump quite a bit. This would be way ahead of schedule.
No matter the good news Tesla stock always drops after some kind of "Day" that they hold.

OP
OP
Ogre

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
No matter the good news Tesla stock always drops after some kind of "Day" that they hold.
Very solid chance here too, particularly if there is a run up to it.

Stock is so low right now I’m not sure.

greggertruck

First Name
g
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.twitter.com
Vehicles
Dual-CT
Occupation
I post Cybertruck stuff on the Internet and people like it.
Country flag
I'd just like to point out, IDRA seemingly produced a press in like 3 months roughly? So..... That's good news.

Last 9K sat for M U C H longer, must have learned some things.

kbolt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Look at the picture. It isn't red and white so it isn't Tesla. Also that round thing on the left is nothing like what Tesla uses. I suspect it is for something else.
Until Tesla idra didn't manufacture machines for the automotive industry. Now that they have done work for Tesla they are in the public eye. Just because they made a large press does not mean it is for Tesla or any other automotive company. People are just connecting dots based on their one largest client.

OP
OP
Ogre

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Not really, just throwing in a bad roll into the mix. Keep the group storytelling interesting.
Just to be clear here. We really don’t know where that press is destined.

Also… Tesla clearly rolled the Nat 1 last year.

OP
OP
Ogre

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Until Tesla idra didn't manufacture machines for the automotive industry. Now that they have done work for Tesla they are in the public eye. Just because they made a large press does not mean it is for Tesla or any other automotive company. People are just connecting dots based on their one largest client.
Yep.

It seems like Tesla is the most likely recipient, but it is all conjecture at this point.

Coolbreeze704

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Model Y, 23 Lightning, CyberTruck (someday)
Occupation
GM Manufactured Homes
Country flag
The really striking thing about this is Tesla would not be taking delivery unless they were ready to start their assembly line. This puts Gen3 production start out 9-12 months rather than 18-24 months most people had assumed. Tesla is snatching a 1 year march here.

If you assume Tesla’s main growth driver for 2023 is ramping of the Model Y in Berlin and Austin, with a little overlap for the Cybertruck. Then their big growth driver for 2024 is the Cybertruck and the Gen3. Presumably Gen3 ramps up in China first then 6-12 months later in Texas and Berlin.

Maybe they start Cybertruck production in Berlin sometime in 2023? That would be cool.

Though I still think a Gigafactory in Australia would be great. Make Cybertrucks there then export them to Asia and Europe. Then no deadheads for their RORO (vehicle shipping boats). Model Ys and Model 3s in, Cybertruck’s out.
AAAND Semi and Mega packs!!!

ricinro

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Tesla MY, 2001 ford Sportrac
Occupation
mech design engineer-ret.
Country flag
There will be limited production of CT in 2023. If the CT requires the 9kton GP for both the rear and front castings then perhaps they will just swap the tool (die) after a month or so and build enough castings for limited production this year.

It is probable that everyone is now considering castings to compete with Tesla. I would not be surprised if the IDRA is going to some Chinese car manufacturer.

Good time to be a gigapress salesperson!