Zapharus

First Name
Israel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3 '22, Element '11, DM Cybertruck preorder
Country flag
I will really miss the turn-signal stalk if it's gone. The S-Plaid uses touch-buttons on the yoke, which will be difficult to get comfortable with.

Not that I'm giving up my place in line, lol
I would be okay with the yoke buttons for turning signal and all those other things if they weren’t touch-sensitive buttons but rather physical buttons that you have to press to avoid accidentally presses. When videos of the MS# started popping up on YouTube every person driving it accidentally triggered a function (wiper, turning signal) when driving the car because of unintended touches to one of those buttons….this will keep happening if Tesla decides to keep that setup. I had accidental presses when driving a friend’s MS# as well.

The stalks might get in the way because of how the yoke is used for turning compared to a regular steering wheel, so if they don’t plan on bringing the stalks back at least make the buttons physical buttons you have to push in to trigger the intended action.

I slightly dislike Elon’s comment that “almost all input is error” because Tesla’s cars don’t quite yet deliver on what he is referring to where the vehicle should know what to do when needed (turn wipers on, activate turning signal, shift to drive or reverse, etc.), auto-wiper is not there yet, at least not on M3 & MY, sometimes it doesn’t activate quickly enough and when it does it doesn’t go Into the needed setting for the circumstances. I’ve driven a friend’s MS# and the auto drive/reverse is certainly impressive. So the “car should do what’s needed” is fragmented in its current state and needs further honing. I will say though, he’s in the right path because these are things that can be improved in upcoming updates, it’s just a matter of waiting but in the meantime give us physical buttons, Elon. lol His vision is full of great things but current tech is stalling his vision.
Sponsored

Bill906

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep
Country flag
Before judging the yoke and absence of control stalks watch Sandy Munro's road trip in the Model S plaid. Cory had a lot of good things to say about the setup. He pointed out how the absence of stalks made the area cleaner and uncluttered. He didn't need to put his head in a weird position to read the instructions on the multi-function lever to determine which part twists in what direction to turn the windshield washers on.
The ONLY good reason I can think of for a yoke in a car is so the wheel doesn't obstruct the view of the screen/gauges etc. in the dash. Cory pointed out it was great not having to look around the wheel to see that screen. Up until the most recent leaked CT picks that show it might have a screen there, I was really struggling to understand why the CT had a yoke. But now it's all coming together nicely in my opinion.

SentinelOne

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
See Sig
Occupation
IT
Country flag
I have a model 3 but dont mind not having the driver screen - except, if adding a driver screen free's up the left third of my center screen then I supposed I'd vote for it...because while the lack of driver screen doesn't bother me - it annoys the hell out of me to waste 1/3 of the center screen showing me my car with surroundings (that aren't good enough to use for blind spot monitoring, that aren't helpful if dont have FSD, and that take up space that could otherwise be used for a better purpose. I'm ok with that screen of surroundings, just make it optional/hideable and not taking up the best realestate in the car....so if they improve UI then ok without driver screen, if they dont then prefer so can better use center screen....

The Yoke and lack of stalks seems weird and limiting - but I'll withhold judgement until I try it, and guessing I'll adapt quickly and forget why I ever had stalks / full circle wheel....progress & change are never easy, but they are inevitable...

OP
OP
Ogre

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Unfortunately, the change from wheel to stalkless yoke is something I can’t speak to because… I haven’t seen/ experienced it in person.

I’ve said this before and I’ll repeat it every time this conversation comes up. How does anyone who hasn’t driven with it know whether it will be better or worse? It’s all conjecture.

Before I bought my Model Y everyone talked about how terrible it was to lose buttons and dials for controlling stereo and climate control. Turns out that made about as much sense as the people who said smartphones needed physical buttons.

I suspect the yoke will be similar.
Sponsored