Is anyone already working on the design and manufacturing of mods?

evanj1034

First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 Toyota 4runner, (cybertruck)
Country flag
I'm a mechanical engineering student in MA and made my reservation about a month after the announcement. I wanted to see if anyone knew of any companies that are already working on/planning on making aftermarket parts for the Cybertruck because I would be VERY interested in applying to work at a company like that, if not throwing some designs together with others on this forum even if we never went into production with them. I have a lot of ideas of what I would love to have in my truck as an overlander, and would be interested in hearing what other people are looking for in terms of aftermarket capabilities. I think that the Cybertruck will be an interesting challenge for aftermarket designers, since the majority of the mods will likely be electrical as opposed to mechanical!
Sponsored

SAVFPV

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
All Black Model Y LR, Beast w/ FSD Reserved @ 1149
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
I wanted to see if anyone knew of any companies that are already working on/planning on making aftermarket parts for the Cybertruck because I would be VERY interested in applying to work at a company like that, if not throwing some designs together with others on this forum even if we never went into production with them.
Same here man! Interested to see the responses. I am Mech Eng too working on airplanes, but boy would I love to work on Cybertruck! :geek:

ScoobyDoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck/ F150
Country flag
I'm waiting to see if those slots in the bed end up being T-slot or not before moving forward with my designs. I'm a M.E./roboticist, my upgrades are stemming from that background, but have a pretty full plate at the moment so don't have plans at the moment for any production beyond myself. Good luck with school! Let me know how heat transfer goes, and if you are still alive after it. hahah

Firetruck41

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 Leaf, 2017 Bolt, 2010 Ram 2500 Megacab
Country flag
Since there are no final specs/measurements/drawings, it would be hard to manufacture/design a specific mod, but there's are a handful of ideas already mentioned in the forum. It will be exciting to see mods people come up with once this thing is being produced.

Cyberman

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150,F550, Escape
Occupation
Cybercontractor
Country flag
Actually, my son is already working on one of several Cybertruck mods coming down the pike. I'm sworn to secrecy, but of course can't keep up that end of the bargain. The first one is the chocolate-cake-all-over-the-back-seat-complete-with-cake-in-the-diaper mod, which he's implemented in most of our vehicles to date. Next is sure to be the vomit-streaks-on-the-windows mod, a favorite of parents worldwide.
I'll keep you posted

Last edited:

rr6013

First Name
Rex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
shorttakes.substack.com
Vehicles
1997 Tahoe 2 door 4x4
Occupation
Retired software developer and heavy commercial design builder
Country flag
Difficult to find would be the Cybertruck reservation holder who hasn’t scratched a wild, back of envelope idea onto a CT form factor. Its a new platform whose primary inspiration is borne from purpose-built thinking. Then there’s the whole cyber thing-y that could change Elon into a verb.

CyberLandr are the first to address the uncanny valley. Their blank slate approach yielded a promising solution that bridges the two things. I’ve seen only one past paradigm design that translates directly onto CT striaght away. Both approaches can be paths to market.

CT owner numbers passed the one million mark last month. That’s $100,000,000 USD bet on CT as the future. CyberLandr received 50k advance order deposits. That’s a healthier sign that demand exists, that owners will spend which wills into existence the third party CT suppliers.

Take your idea. Put it into the CT market. Let the market decide. You’ll know right away whether demand exists for your idea. This is a unique moment in time where ALL the demand for Cybertruck can be tapped into. List it on Cybertruckownersclub. You’ll find a million people with the same idea or like yours better.

Take deposits. Begin prototyping. Get beta testers from the pool of depositors. By 2023 you’ll have a backorder catalog.

DarinCT

First Name
Darin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
M3, CT triM
Country flag
Pick yourself. Scratch the itch without permission.

Idea-design-prototype-test. No, you do not need the truck. I do wish people would get over the idea and produce an actual prototype.

It may feel like getting a job is the easier way. It's waaay easier to grab the tools and have at it then going through the interview process for a single position where you create someone else's ideas.

I'm going to be presumptuous here. As a student, you don't have experience in teams or end-to-end product design. Between here and experienced there's a lot of failures. Better to jump and work literally and figuratively through the iterations (of mostly meh) now. When that company does come along and is looking for someone, you can demonstrate commitment and skills. (The other part being company fit but that's outside what you can work on directly).

None of these are necessarily electrical (except of course the solar one).
  • Toolbox attachment
  • Security drawers / organization system like ( https://decked.com/products/decked-drawers
  • Wrap around camping system from the end of the door out 6(?) feet, maybe encompassing the tail or maybe just running the rest of the truck length back. Like these but enclosable
  • Winged solar from the slots in the pillar
  • Lumber rack
  • Overlander rack
  • All bed rack
  • BBQ station system - used by tailgaters, parents at their kids games, picnics, just about anyone.
  • Deployable shower system - one easy e.g. days at the beach, one full blown that includes bladder/electrical heater for back country
  • (Not that I would buy it) Canoe/paddleboard/hull rack
  • Near infinite combinations of the above
Post your concept designs, get stakeholder feedback, iterate.

CiberMods

First Name
Taylor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, Cybertruck Tri Motor
Country flag
I'm a mechanical engineering student in MA and made my reservation about a month after the announcement. I wanted to see if anyone knew of any companies that are already working on/planning on making aftermarket parts for the Cybertruck because I would be VERY interested in applying to work at a company like that, if not throwing some designs together with others on this forum even if we never went into production with them. I have a lot of ideas of what I would love to have in my truck as an overlander, and would be interested in hearing what other people are looking for in terms of aftermarket capabilities. I think that the Cybertruck will be an interesting challenge for aftermarket designers, since the majority of the mods will likely be electrical as opposed to mechanical!
I plan on doing just that! I have been working on designs and ideas for the past 6 months or so. I planning on finalizing designs within the year and might launch a kickstarter for a few products to see how the reception goes. We have a simple design philosophy very similar to the cybertruck: sheet metal design that matches the asthetic and strength of the exoskeleton. As DVANDERM mentioned: it is difficult to get the final product flushed out without knowing key specs and final geometry but I am taking a generalized approach to the concepts of what I want to build. The final minute dimensions can be worked out later. DarinCT has the right attitude and that is what we are aiming for!

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
Actually, my son is already working on one of several Cybertruck mods coming down the pike. I'm sworn to secrecy, but of course can't keep up that end of the bargain. The first one is the chocolate-cake-all-over-the-back-seat-complete-with cake-in-the-diaper mod, which he's implemented in most of our vehicles to date. Next is sure to be the vomit-streaks-on-the-windows mod, a favorite of parents worldwide.
I'll keep you posted
By the time Cybertruck gets to you diapers will probably be a thing of the past. I know they will be in my case at least. And my last kid was born after the initial reveal.

flowerlandfilms

First Name
Eryk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yamaha SRV-250, Honda Odyssey RB1
Occupation
Film Maker
Country flag
I'm hoping the paper composite dash will be easy to drill/work. I have a few ideas for internal dash mods.

Lives2TruckAround

First Name
Nico
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'92 Jeep Wrangler and 22’ Model Y
Occupation
Retired young/Business Owner
Country flag
I'm waiting to see if those slots in the bed end up being T-slot or not before moving forward with my designs. I'm a M.E./roboticist, my upgrades are stemming from that background, but have a pretty full plate at the moment so don't have plans at the moment for any production beyond myself. Good luck with school! Let me know how heat transfer goes, and if you are still alive after it. hahah
Care to share some ideas?

Cyberman

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150,F550, Escape
Occupation
Cybercontractor
Country flag
By the time Cybertruck gets to you diapers will probably be a thing of the past. I know they will be in my case at least. And my last kid was born after the initial reveal.
At this rate, by the time Cybertruck gets to me, middle school might be a thing of the past.

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
By then I’ll be staring down middle school…
Sponsored