Reaction score
Website
ts.la
Vehicles
2001 Chevy Tracker, 2018 Jeep Cherokee
Occupation
IT
Country flag
Anyone else notice there has been zero info on the Cyberquad? No mention of production dates, specs, prices, location it will be built, etc. Do you think it will still come to production with the CT as Musk originally stated?
Sponsored

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Well, there's a prototype, so it's not vaporware.

They said it would be available at launch, which isn't for more than another year.

-Crissa

OP
OP
Bigvbear

Bigvbear

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
ts.la
Vehicles
2001 Chevy Tracker, 2018 Jeep Cherokee
Occupation
IT
Country flag
Well, there's a prototype, so it's not vaporware.

They said it would be available at launch, which isn't for more than another year.

-Crissa
true, but there is zilch on it. At least we have some ideas of specs on the CT and the other prototype vehicles (Semi, Roadster, etc). Makes me almost wonder if they took a production ATV from another company (say Yamaha) and installed an electric motor and some fancy sheet metal to make it look good then later would actually design it.

They have also announced where the other vehicles would be manufactured, again nothing on the Cyberquad.

CyberMoose

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag
To design the Cybertruck, it must have taken a lot of work to figure everything out. For the Cyberquad, they can do that at anytime because they don't have to worry about anywhere near as much stuff. Also the assembly of the Cyberquad would also be many times faster than the Cybertruck, so to keep up with orders should be relatively simple. The Cyberquad will only be an option with the truck at first and i'm guessing most people won't get one. They might not even need more than 1000-2000 Cyberquads per year until they sell them seperately.

I want a Cyberquad but I don't even know if I will get one. I already have two quads that do exactly what I want and I think a lot of the truck people who like to go out on an ATV with their friends, probably already own at least one as well. Another thing is the Cybequad is really meant just for fun it seems, most of my friends use their ATVs when they are at a hunt camp, but the Cyberquad doesn't seem like it is designed to carry much more than just the driver and maybe a second person.

CyberMoose

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag
Electrics are much better for hunting than ICE vehicles.

-Crissa
The only real benefit I could think of would be for sound. But it's not like they are driving up to deer and taking shots. They use their ATVs for transporting their guns and any other stuff they have from the camp site to where they are going to start. I'm not saying it would be impossible to put some storage compartments on the back, just that it would be far easier with the ATVs that a lot of people already have.

I'm also not saying that a gas powered ATV is better, i'm just talking about the design of the Cyberquad. There are other Electric ATVs out there already that have a more traditional design.
I'm still considering a Cyberquad, but if I get one it's just for fun driving offroad, I don't think i'll have any sort of utility use for it.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I'm also not saying that a gas powered ATV is better, i'm just talking about the design of the Cyberquad. There are other Electric ATVs out there already that have a more traditional design.
I'm still considering a Cyberquad, but if I get one it's just for fun driving offroad, I don't think i'll have any sort of utility use for it.
Why would it be different?

It's got four wheels, no cab, and a throttle. You worried to spoil the collector looks with a cargo basket?

Even a Zero FX you have to put a hole in the plastics to mount the rack. Some people don't like putting mods like that on vehicles, if that's you, well, okay ^-^

-Crissa

CyberMoose

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag
I said that I didn't think it was impossible but if you look at the video of the Cyberquad, the rear of it angles up as it comes out. As it stands, if you are just going to drill a couple holes for a box, it would be a pretty small box.

Before someone could use this for utility, they would need to either have a specific cargo box made which i'm sure eventually a company will make one when they have a cyberquad to measure, or you would need to put some brackets on.

Me personally, I don't really care about drilling holes in stuff, however I don't think that would be required at all if someone has a good workshop and a design in mind. I was considering making something to just clamp on to use with my cargo box from my other ATV, but unless the Cyberquad has some insane range on it, I don't see much reason to trade my current ATVs for it.

One thing I will add, if there isn't any word about whether or not the Cyberquad will ever be sold seperate from the Cybertruck, I would definitely add it on just to make sure I get one. I can always give my ATVs to my nephew when he's older.

Last edited:

ldjessee

First Name
Lloyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Leaf, MYLR, Kaw 1700 Vaquero
Occupation
Business Intelligence Manager & Analyst
Country flag
If I was Zero, I would be trying to get a meeting with Elon about a negotiated deal... Zero could provide complete power trains, Tesla could provide the vehicle design, etc. and they both could sell it (it has been done before). Tesla only as an option, Zero as a stand alone.

Sure, pure speculation and wishing on my part.

CyberMoose

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag
I could see Tesla doing partnerships for certain options. This is already done for a lot of the interior for vehicles by manufacturers. However, Tesla is very good at verticle integration and I don't see Tesla outsourcing something like the Cyberquad. I mostly don't think they would because if they are styling the Cyberquad after the Cybertruck, they are likely to use the same steel, which was created by SpaceX will be provided for the Cybertruck. Tesla also makes batteries and i'm sure the batteries will only get better in the future, with battery day being next week as well. The last big part that it would require would be the motors, which i'm sure Tesla will almost certainly be making themselves as well.

While Zero is doing good things, I don't see what they would really have to offer Tesla in a partnership, other than just allowing faster production of the Cyberquad. However, as mentioned previously in this thread, if the Cyberquad is only an option, we don't really know if they are going to need to produce them very quickly anyway.

I don't know if Tesla would be interested, but maybe Zero could make some sort of Cyber style motorcycle. Elon has already stated that they won't make a motorcycle due to safety, which is a little disappointing for me because I wanted a Cyber motorcycle for when I visit friends in other cities so I can park my truck and have an easier time in traffic.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
And Zero partners with a manufacturer that makes their motor, so selling them right now only makes their bikes more expensive. :/

Also, Musk hates motorcycles. :sick:

-Crissa

Why do nearly all systems fail to discern between tongue-blep and tongue-bleah smilies? It's so annoying.
Sponsored