Is the Cybertruck more dangerous to pedestrians than a traditional truck?

HaulingAss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150, 2018 Model 3 P, FS DM Cybertruck
Country flag
Anyone who thinks the Cybertruck is more dangerous than legacy trucks needs to watch this short, fact-based video:

The Grille Trend that Kills 509 People per Year (youtube.com)

Plenty of footage of trucks hitting a human test dummy and how it reacts. And it summarizes a statistical analysis of actual crash deaths. To my eye, it looks like the Cybertruck naysayers were beating another fake drum.
Sponsored

rbalkun

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
None
Country flag
if someone is driving into a pedestrian with a truck…they are the danger…not the truck

ChristoN

First Name
Christo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2024 MS LR, 2022 MYP
Occupation
Attorney
Country flag
You can get seriously injured or die from a bicycle hitting you while crossing the street. Happens in NY all the time. But luckily, there’s a solution. Cybertruck offers great protection from bicycles and ill intentioned pedestrians.

OP
OP
HaulingAss

HaulingAss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
if someone is driving into a pedestrian with a truck…they are the danger…not the truck
Pedestrian impacts are not always the fault of the driver. Sometimes a pedestrian runs out into the street from between two parked vehicles and even the quickest reflexes, or the best Automatic Braking System cannot stop in time. The statistical analysis featured in the video above shows that the number one difference in vehicle design that determined how severe the injuries were was the height of the hood. As the hood hight lowered, injuries dropped dramatically. Even a 10 cm (4 inch) drop in hood height had a significant drop in the severity of the injury. It has to do with whether the hood is low enough to cause the pedestian to rotate or if it's like hitting a brick wall.

From a pedestrian safety perspective, the much lower hood height of the Cybertruck, and the way the entire front of the truck forms a shallow angle ramp, should be a lot less lethal than the tall vertical grillls of modern trucks that are too tall to allow the pedestrian to rotate about their center of gravity.

There will always be pathological people that have zero care how severely their vehicle injuries a pedestrian in those unavoidable situations, but most people have innate compassion for others and have no desire to be at the wheel of a vehicle causing serious injury or death, even if the impact is not directly their fault. Vehicle design matters and I don't think it's the Cybertruck that is leading the charge to vehicles more dangerous to pedestrian when the other trucks in the same class have such macho, vertical front ends. The design of the Cybertruck is not only superior aerodynamically to a legacy truck shape, it is also much safer for pedestrians and bicycles.

rbalkun

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
None
Country flag
Pedestrian impacts are not always the fault of the driver. Sometimes a pedestrian runs out into the street from between two parked vehicles and even the quickest reflexes, or the best Automatic Braking System cannot stop in time. The statistical analysis featured in the video above shows that the number one difference in vehicle design that determined how severe the injuries were was the height of the hood. As the hood hight lowered, injuries dropped dramatically. Even a 10 cm (4 inch) drop in hood height had a significant drop in the severity of the injury. It has to do with whether the hood is low enough to cause the pedestian to rotate or if it's like hitting a brick wall.

From a pedestrian safety perspective, the much lower hood height of the Cybertruck, and the way the entire front of the truck forms a shallow angle ramp, should be a lot less lethal than the tall vertical grillls of modern trucks that are too tall to allow the pedestrian to rotate about their center of gravity.

There will always be pathological people that have zero care how severely their vehicle injuries a pedestrian in those unavoidable situations, but most people have innate compassion for others and have no desire to be at the wheel of a vehicle causing serious injury or death, even if the impact is not directly their fault. Vehicle design matters and I don't think it's the Cybertruck that is leading the charge to vehicles more dangerous to pedestrian when the other trucks in the same class have such macho, vertical front ends. The design of the Cybertruck is not only superior aerodynamically to a legacy truck shape, it is also much safer for pedestrians and bicycles.
My mom also taught me to look both ways before crossing the street

OP
OP
HaulingAss

HaulingAss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
My mom also taught me to look both ways before crossing the street
What's your point?

My point was that the Cybertruck is an improvement on pedestrian safety vs. legacy pickups, not the irresponsible deadly diasaster the Tesla haters made it out to be.

rbalkun

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
None
Country flag
What's your point?

My point was that the Cybertruck is an improvement on pedestrian safety vs. legacy pickups, not the irresponsible deadly diasaster the Tesla haters made it out to be.
Because I think it’s funny people made it an issue in the first place instead of people being responsible for their own poor decisions

carsly

First Name
Vin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LR Defender, Tesla Model S
Country flag
I think people staring at cell phones as they cross the street are a greater risk than cybertrucks.

Cyber Man

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Cayenne, Awaiting Cyberbeast
Country flag
Even if the vehicle is made of cardboard, if it hits a pedestrian at a reasonable high speed, it’s dangerous. I seriously don’t understand how CT could be more dangerous than any other vehicle. Anybody who says that either has an under developed front cortex or is a CT hater, or both! Plain and simple.

The only thing I can think of is the sharp edges in CT. The odds of owners getting bit by CT’s sharp edges are higher than a random pedestrian injured by it, unless they are touching CT all over the place when it’s parked.
Sponsored

Last edited: