Is the Cybertruck prewired to accept solar cell input?

LDRHAWKE

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota FJ, GTS1000,FJR1300, Aprillia Scarabeo,
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Country flag
I will be parking my Cybertruck next to my motor home that is set up with 2,000 watts of solar cells and lithium batteries. It would be great if the Cybertruck could be plugged to this system to charge. Question….have any of the new owners reviewed their manual and wiring diagrams to see is their Cybertruck is prewired or can easily be wired to be charged in this manner? I am assuming up converters from 12 volt to 48 volt will be require. Or solar cells in series for 48 volt out put.
Sponsored

Wraven

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Foundations CyberBeast, M3P, MYP
Country flag
Use the mobile connector to connect to 120, 30amp or 50amp and you should be good to go.

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag
I will be parking my Cybertruck next to my motor home that is set up with 2,000 watts of solar cells and lithium batteries. It would be great if the Cybertruck could be plugged to this system to charge. Question….have any of the new owners reviewed their manual and wiring diagrams to see is their Cybertruck is prewired or can easily be wired to be charged in this manner? I am assuming up converters from 12 volt to 48 volt will be require. Or solar cells in series for 48 volt out put.
If your RV has a 120V inverter you can charge with that already, by setting the CT charge rate low enough so it equals your solar input.

There currently is no indication that there is a dedicated PV input on the CT. Although I suspect it is in fact running a derivative of the latest Powerwall inverter, that happens to share both 48V and the maximum 11kW power rating.

If so there might be some ability if you could access the terminations for the DC/DC converters and be able to reconfigure them. I think it would be much easier though to integrate through the existing V2H though at those lower power levels.

At higher power levels you could possibly integrate at 48V or pack via the battery extender interface. But that will require complete integration with the Tesla sub-systems and safety design.

For a high capacity setup being able to charge whilst driving would be important, and there's no real way of making that work with the current V2L setup.

Woodrick

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, Model Y, SOON to be Cybertruck
Occupation
Consultant
Country flag
Honestly, while it sounds great, in reality it will be a PITA to implement.

You will not be able to charge the big batteries with 12 of 48V. You can charge the 48V battery though.
You will need an inverter to get you up to 120V and then the Mobile adapter can plug into it.
You may be able to use 120V 20A plug, instead of 15A, that will help a little.
But in the end, you end up with MAX 8 hours a day of charging which will then give you just over 20 miles of additional range.
But, since your solar is probably tied to your camper battery, which is then tied to your inverter, what it will really do is run your battery down, maybe it will take a few days, but the solar won't be enough to keep it going every day.

Good idea, but 2,000 watts from solar is a lot LESS power than a 120V 15A wall socket will do in 24 hours (43kWh vs your Solar's up to 16 kWh).
Sponsored