Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dodge Ram diesel
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
If stock is purchased on margin, the risk is potentially the whole price of the stock.
You have to have a margin account for shorting stocks.

Why do you think there is no sell and buy phase when shorting stock?
I never said that. The BORROWED stocks are still bought/sold on the open market.
Sponsored

John K

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt, CT reserve day 2
Country flag
You have to have a margin account for shorting stocks.

I never said that. The BORROWED stocks are still bought/sold on the open market.
Hmmmm… this is known as walking back previous post statements.

When you establish a short position,you BORROW shares from a broker and return them hoping the price has fallen from when you BORROWED the shares and you pocket the difference.

HAHA! You can't buy/sell stock shares you don't own! Hence "borrowed". You can't short stocks you own.

OP
OP
TruckElectric

TruckElectric

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dodge Ram diesel
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Hmmmm… this is known as walking back previous post statements.
To me it's not. But I'm not going to discount a different interpretation. Sorry if I wasn't clear.

John K

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt, CT reserve day 2
Country flag
My interpretation, @TruckElectric was hung up on @Ogre ‘s use of the term “cover” and return, @Ogre was perplexed on @TruckElectric ‘s omitted steps.

Possibly everyone is exasperated on my intention to get 5 digit reservation orders to cancel.

…and maybe my interpretation is wrong again.

Walk back is to clarify statements made prior either by omission, misspeak, confused terms or misunderstanding.

Political walk back, oh god he made this political, is basically saying don’t believe your lying ears.

Walking back my walk back comment, I did not refer to political walking back. 😀

OP
OP
TruckElectric

TruckElectric

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dodge Ram diesel
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
To me it's not. But I'm not going to discount a different interpretation. Sorry if I wasn't clear.
Basically what you are doing when shorting is borrowing stock shares, holding them and when you return them to the lender if the price is lower than when you borrowed the stock shares you make money. If the price increases then you have to to pay the difference of price from when you borrowed to when you return them to the lender.

The borrowed shares are still trading in the open market while you have them in your possession.

John K

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt, CT reserve day 2
Country flag
Btw, my terrible jokes will only end when my CT reservation is fulfilled. If anyone is to blame… (motioning EM’s ways)

John K

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt, CT reserve day 2
Country flag
Basically what you are doing when shorting is borrowing stock shares, holding them and when you return them to the lender if the price is lower than when you borrowed the stock shares you make money. If the price increases then you have to to pay the difference of price from when you borrowed to when you return them to the lender.

The borrowed shares are still trading in the open market while you have them in your possession.
If all you do is hold them, while you definitely reduced your risk, you lose out on the fees/interest until the shares are returned.

It seems you are saying there is no sell/buy phase again when shorting by the person who is shorting the stock. Is this correct?

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
My interpretation, @TruckElectric was hung up on @Ogre ‘s use of the term “cover” and return, @Ogre was perplexed on @TruckElectric ‘s omitted steps.

Possibly everyone is exasperated on my intention to get 5 digit reservation orders to cancel.

…and maybe my interpretation is wrong again.

Walk back is to clarify statements made prior either by omission, misspeak, confused terms or misunderstanding.

Political walk back, oh god he made this political, is basically saying don’t believe your lying ears.

Walking back my walk back comment, I did not refer to political walking back. 😀
No, I‘m laughing at the fact that someone disputes the literal definition of the phrase. Then when it was pointed out with multiple references questioned the source.

OP
OP
TruckElectric

TruckElectric

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dodge Ram diesel
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
It seems you are saying there is no sell/buy phase again when shorting by the person who is shorting the stock. Is this correct?
You pay the price of the stock share when you borrow them. I don't call that buying the stock because you don't own the stock. Technicality there..... I call it a holders fee.

When you return the stock to the lender you get the price of the stock at that moment in return. So you are either paid or you have to pay the difference.

OP
OP
TruckElectric

TruckElectric

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dodge Ram diesel
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
No, I‘m laughing at the fact that someone disputes the literal definition of the phrase. Then when it was pointed out with multiple references questioned the source.
You're a Wikipedia kinda guy.......LOL

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
You're a Wikipedia kinda guy.......LOL
Conversations like this make me understand how politicians can pedal their bullshit.

This is something I learned in business school 30+ years ago. Wikipedia is an easy reference.

You should look at this as a learning opp instead of double dipping ignorance.

OP
OP
TruckElectric

TruckElectric

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dodge Ram diesel
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Forgot to add. The reason for the margin account is if you have to pay that is where the funds to pay come from.
Also, a margin call is when you don't have enough funds in your margin account to cover what you owe the lender.
Sponsored