ISN'T IT TIME FOR ALL HOTELS TO START INCLUDING ELECTRIC VEHICLE CHARGING STATIONS?

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Having them at pubs and movies and hiking trails is great. It means you can catch a few miles there instead of making an additional Supercharger stop. Or motorcycles or mopeds can use them. Or if a car really, really needs a charge they're not just stuck for a tow.

-Crissa
Sponsored

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X LR+, Lexus SUV, Toyota SR5, Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
You are talking about a different kind of destination charger. For pubs/ restaurants, etc. Those are arguably just a mediocre idea in general. You can only pick up a few miles at a pub regardless.
Not sure what you mean by different kind. The ones I have seen have been the same hardware (and firmware) I have in my garage. When you are describing the hotels are you talking about DCFC? One can buy ca 40 kW DCFC from a couple of manufacturers.

Somebody here (I think it was) said he had 20 or 30 kW in his garage but when I asked for clarification on that he never responded.

Last edited:

JJ_Tex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Just Purchased: 2021 F150 Hybrid Platinum
Country flag
We are renting a Y for our trip in 2 weeks and the deciding factor on the hotel was that one had a charger and one did not.

All of the newer theatres around me have chargers as well as some of the restaurants. I think its a smart business move and as more and more people switch to EVs the more they will expect to find them in restaurants, apartments, etc.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
Part of my lack of enthusiasm stems from concern about the whole guest population having to share a few HPWC located on parts of the property remote from my room. Were there an HPWC right near my room door I would use it. This is, of course, not possible in a multi floor establishment. Then it occurred to me that a property might procure one or more of the commercial modest powered DCFAST chargers (50 - 75 kW; intended market is fleet operators), install them in some out of the way corner and offer charging service on a valet basis. In a snazzy hotel you pull up, your bags are taken out of the car, you hand your key over to the valet and he parks it for you (for which you are charged a fee). In addition to being asked "Would you like that detailed, sir?" you would be asked "Would you like that charged, sir?" for which there would be an additional fee.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
We are renting a Y for our trip in 2 weeks and the deciding factor on the hotel was that one had a charger and one did not.
Does the hotel have "a" charger or multiple chargers? If only one, how do you know you will be the one to get it? Are you able to reserve it? What will the hotel do if it is ICEd? Etc. It's those details that interest me.

If it's a J1772 charger be sure you have the adapter.

JJ_Tex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Just Purchased: 2021 F150 Hybrid Platinum
Country flag
Does the hotel have "a" charger or multiple chargers? If only one, how do you know you will be the one to get it? Are you able to reserve it? What will the hotel do if it is ICEd? Etc. It's those details that interest me.

If it's a J1772 charger be sure you have the adapter.
All good questions. It is a Tesla destination charger and it says there are 2 of them. I'm not clear on reserving the chargers and paying for the charge at the hotel, but I plan on asking at check-in.

The paperwork says I will get the car at 80% charge and have to turn it in at 20% so by my math I may not need to charge it at all. However, I would like to charge it at least once for the experience even if it is not needed.

Worst case there are 5 other charging stations in the town we are staying at in Montana, plus the rental place has a level 2 I can use for free with the rental. They also claim that it comes with "all of the adapters" for charging.

We will see. I can't tell if I am more excited about hiking, white water rafting, celebrating our 20 year anniversary, or getting to drive the Tesla :).

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Part of my lack of enthusiasm stems from concern about the whole guest population having to share a few HPWC located on parts of the property remote from my room.
So you have to unload you stuff and park your car across the lot instead of making a special trip to the super charger.

As I mentioned above, this is good. Diverse charging needs. Means less contention at the Chargers. You get one fewer person at the super charger. I have one fewer person looking to avoid it.

rodmacpherson

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Volt, Nissan LEAF
Occupation
Security Architect (IT/Infosec)
Country flag
They would have to put a charger at every parking spot unless patrons were willing to move once their vehicle was charged. Not a lot of incentive to install expensive infrastructure unless they get a cut of the charge fee or unless Tesla installs the chargers for free in order to make revenue off them.
Château Frontenac in Quebec offers EV charging as a valet service, as does Niagara Falls Marriott Fallsview. The night valet rotates cars at the few EVSEs they have. By morning several cars have a chance to charge up on just a handful of charging stations. In the earlier days, EV charging was also a valet service at Toronto Pearson airport. now they have more charging stations that are available in the self-parking lots as well.

Sirfun

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Chrysler Pacifica PHEV, Ford E-250
Occupation
Retired Sheet Metal Worker
Country flag
Part of my lack of enthusiasm stems from concern about the whole guest population having to share a few HPWC located on parts of the property remote from my room. Were there an HPWC right near my room door I would use it. This is, of course, not possible in a multi floor establishment. Then it occurred to me that a property might procure one or more of the commercial modest powered DCFAST chargers (50 - 75 kW; intended market is fleet operators), install them in some out of the way corner and offer charging service on a valet basis. In a snazzy hotel you pull up, your bags are taken out of the car, you hand your key over to the valet and he parks it for you (for which you are charged a fee). In addition to being asked "Would you like that detailed, sir?" you would be asked "Would you like that charged, sir?" for which there would be an additional fee.
This makes a lot of sense to me. With Valet services the hotel could put in a couple superchargers, and when the vehicle is charged the valet then parks the vehicle to make room for more customers. Couldn't a Tesla supercharger recognize the vehicle, charge it, and add it to your monthly fees, seamlessly?
Eventually, all electric vehicles should be able to communicate with chargers, and just add the fee to your account. This sounds like a win-win. You get services, & the hotel and valets get paid, while you get a good night's sleep.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
It would be tons cheaper to have a bunch of L1 and L2 chargers than a single Supercharger, let alone a valet.

Assumably they have to keep a valet on duty across the night anyhow so swapping a few EVs is no biggie. But generally...

-Crissa

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
It would be tons cheaper to have a bunch of L1 and L2 chargers than a single Supercharger, let alone a valet.

Assumably they have to keep a valet on duty across the night anyhow so swapping a few EVs is no biggie. But generally...

-Crissa
Yeah putting in a level 2 charger is only a 500 bucks, a 1500 installed unless you need long power runs. A level 3 charger has to be 20k or more. Doing 10 level 2 charger would be comparable cost. Plus don’t have to pay a valet.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
Couldn't a Tesla supercharger recognize the vehicle, charge it, and add it to your monthly fees, seamlessly?
Yes it could but I don't see Tesla Superchargers for this role at least not as things stand right now because these properties would want to be able to charge other vehicle brands as weil. I envision one of the 50 - 75 kW units with one CHAdeMO and one CCS hose. A single 50K unit could probably handle 15 - 30 cars per day and be fed from a 60 A 380Y/220 circuit.

Eventually, all electric vehicles should be able to communicate with chargers, and just add the fee to your account.
Yes but we need to let the hotel wet its beak here. Not only would you have to pay for this service but pay handsomely just as you do for laundry. And just as I have fond memories of sneaking out of the side doors of 5 stars hotels with a pillowcase full of dirty clothes over my shoulder headed for the laundromat at the nearest US military base I'm sure I'd head for the nearest Supercharger. Well that's what I'd do if I were as young as I was in the pillowcase days but today I might be willing to spring for the service to save me time the next morning.

Now we are clearly talking Fairmont class hotels here (aforementioned Chateau Frontenac). Not places that sell rooms by the hour.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Not only would you have to pay for this service but pay handsomely just as you do for laundry.
This is dumb. I don’t pay for elevators or lights. Power is cheap once the infrastructure is there, it becomes part of the experience. If the infrastructure requires human help beyond plugging your car in, then you’ve built it wrong.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
So I guess you sneak your laundry out of classy hotels too. Thing is there was a time when I would have agreed with you. But as I get older and I realize I can't spend it all in the time I have left my attitude has changed. I do use valet services now - or let's say I am transitioning in that direction. The cheap bastard in me is still kicking to some extent.

And I guess you don't know about "demand charges".

Actually, with your attitude you wouldn't be in a 5 star hotel anyway. As a colleague used to say "I'm not in the room most of the day and when I am my eyes are mostly closed. Why would I want a fancy hotei?"
Sponsored

Last edited: