Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
<TLDR>
What I like about what Elon said is this part:
....there is always some chance that Cybertruck will flop, because it is so unlike anything else. I don’t care. I love it so much even if others don’t.
What I like about this is that he, and by extension, Tesla is willing to make something dramatically different from the norm and take the risk. It’s something I wish more automakers would do.
</TLDR>

Elon’s Right, It’s Good That The Cybertruck Doesn't Make Sense
Everyone, Brace Yourselves, I'm About To Say Something Nice About Elon Musk
By
Jason Torchinsky

Tesla Cybertruck Jalopnik Actually likes something Elon Tweeted 1626411001930

Image: Tesla

Earlier today, Tesla CEO Elon Musk tweeted something, that, to my surprise, I actually like. Now, I realize I’ve been critical of Musk and the dumb things he has tweeted before, but this time there’s a core concept in this tweet that I heartily approve of. This doesn’t happen too often, so I figure it’s worth noting when it does.

Here’s the tweet in question, in a response to a response to an article predicting the Cybertruck, whenever it finally comes out, will flop:

Now, it’s not the Cybertruck itself I’m defending here; I personally feel it’s a deeply stupid design, ill-suited for actual, real-world truck use, and every new thing I hear about it just makes me more convinced, like this other Elon tweet talking about how it will forego door handles:

Having systems in the truck to recognize you and automatically open doors is, I think, a waste of resources and hardware. Door handles work fine! This is a silly party trick that will inevitably bite you on the ass when it goes wrong.

Maybe if it was for a cargo door on a van where you’re likely to have your arms full, like the foot-wave tailgates that many modern SUVs have, but this is just showy bullshit.

Also, the Cybertruck design looks like something Curtis Brubaker did way back in 1978:

Tesla Cybertruck Jalopnik Actually likes something Elon Tweeted 1626411051662

Image: Tesla/Curtis Brubaker/Penthouse

Okay, sorry, I know you’re not here to have to endure with me shitting on the Cybertruck—a vehicle that, for what it’s worth, I don’t necessarily think will flop. And, it’s worth mentioning that in the field of full-size trucks, it’s not like they’re not also overgrown, miserably ugly things—I mean, look at the Chevy Silverado HD:

Tesla Cybertruck Jalopnik Actually likes something Elon Tweeted 1626411040211

Image: Chevrolet

That’s a fucking monster right there. It’s awful. That whole segment is a disaster of colossal, ugly, ridiculous machines.

What I like about what Elon said is this part:

....there is always some chance that Cybertruck will flop, because it is so unlike anything else. I don’t care. I love it so much even if others don’t.
What I like about this is that he, and by extension, Tesla is willing to make something dramatically different from the norm and take the risk. It’s something I wish more automakers would do.

Because, he’s right that trucks—and, really, most SUVs, crossovers, cars, everything—do tend to end up looking the same. This isn’t a new phenomenon—cars from every decade tend to converge on a particular sort of generalized design of the era, for a large number of reasons ranging from the styling trends of the era, manufacturing advancements, aerodynamic understanding, and so on.

But those rare cars where someone decides to try something new are the ones we really remember. The Chevrolet Corvair, for example, stood out technically—with its rear-engine design—and stylistically when it arrived in the late 1950s, but ended up defining the style of the decade to come.

People remember the VW Beetle because it was designed like a car of the 1930s all the way to 2003, so it stood out. We remember supercars that break all the rules because they’re for people rich enough to not give a shit, and we remember oddball designs like the Gremlin or Pacer because AMC was always too desperate and broke to give a shit.

The point is, it’s good to have unexpected, unusual car designs out in the world. I don’t have any desire for a Cybertruck, but I want to see them out on the road, mixing it up in traffic, making our carscape more varied.

I hope enough Cybertrucks sell so that other manufacturers become emboldened enough to try designing strange, unexpected vehicles that might be more to my tastes.

Tesla Cybertruck Jalopnik Actually likes something Elon Tweeted 1626411108780

Image: Tesla/Canoo

If the Cybertruck takes off, that means that other oddball trucks like Canoo’s reborn VW Type 2 pickup-style truck or Bollinger’s boxy, utilitarian vehicles might have a chance, too.

The more variety, the better. I’d love to see all sorts of bonkers ideas on the roads, and I want to see things that I love and things that I just can’t stand, because that means you’re alive, not suspended in the monochrome miasma of crossovers and SUVs and hulking pickups that choke our roads today.

To get there, though, automakers need to take the passionate approach Elon is taking to his big, awkward, sharp-cornered Cybertruck: it’s enough that he loves it, so they’re going to build it.

Carmakers can ignore the focus groups for at least one daring thing in their lineups, can’t they? Sure they can.

Listen to Elon. Emulate his love of that stupid truck, and we’ll all be better for it.
Sponsored

John K

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt, CT reserve day 2
Country flag
Something seems to elude some, there is not one truck to meet all truck needs so why would the CT be expected to fill that roll?

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Why do authors from mainstream media feel compelled to apologize for liking something Musk says? Why can't they just write an article that talks about what they like about what he said rather than spend 3/4 of the article talking trash about Musk and the Cybertruck?

This could have been an interesting piece, but instead it was like a weird sideways hit piece. Like the bully in high school who couldn't resist being a jerk "Hey they stupid guy actually said something funny!"

The author wants to know why companies conform to norms and won't take risks?

Its because idiots like him mock anything that's remotely outside the norm. Even as he "praises" Musk for being brave and taking risks, he's piling on criticism left and right of both Musk and the Cybertruck.

What a bunch of nonsense.

Edit: From an older Jalopnik article: "Regardless, it’s nice to see that for every Cybertruck, there’s a good chance we’ll get something else that’s a little more... normal."

tidmutt

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y Performance, Model X P100D
Occupation
Software Architect
Country flag
Ugh... I made the mistake of reading the comment section on the article... Wow...

OP
OP
FutureBoy

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
Ugh... I made the mistake of reading the comment section on the article... Wow...
Why would one ever read the comments on any website? There be dragons.

John K

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt, CT reserve day 2
Country flag
Skimming the comments there, I am reminded, but cannot remember the movie source, of two people getting into an argument in a bar on which of their Vietnam units were better. They ended up killing each other, and later revealed neither one of them ever served In the military.

Story from a movie, any similarities to real life is purely coincidental.

Diehard

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Olds Aurora V8, Saturn Sky redline, Lightning, CT2
Country flag
Why can't they just write an article that talks about what they like about what he said rather than spend 3/4 of the article talking trash about Musk and the Cybertruck?
1 - He is trying to give credibility to his point: If a hater loves this, then there must be something to it.
2 - If he talks trash AND at the same time say something positive, he catches twice as many readers. We are CT people and are reading it. His audience are CT haters and have something to work with.
3 - He mixes up haters and lovers in one place to produce conflict. That makes the engagement levels light up (ad revenue).

tmeyer3

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, Wrangler, Tractors
Occupation
Computer Scientist
Country flag
If there's something you can count on with Elon, it's that he is determined to prove that electric vehicles are better than ice vehicles. That's just his thing, his goal.

To date, he's done a very good job at this. I was NOT an EV fan (growing up on drag racing, rock crawlers, home made dune buggies) until I drove and started seriously considering the cost model of EVs. Tesla's cars are seriously amazing. If you have a Cybertruck reservation and have not test driven a Tesla yet, GO DO THAT NOW, it's free. It will put much of your concerns to bed.

Most media laser focuses on Tesla in a bad way. After all, bad news sells. But if their past design choices are an indicator, the Cybertruck will be the best consumer truck made, ever. Because that's just what Tesla aims for. They don't give a damn if their truck never breaks, never requires repairs and doesn't bring income by forcing new vehicle purchases or service fees; they don't give a damn if their dealer network doesn't get their service quota, since they have no dealer network or care about getting a "cut"; they definitely don't give a damn if they undermine the car manufacturer status quo--they're a tech company.

Cheers!

OP
OP
FutureBoy

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
Disclaimer: you may end up ordering a 3, Y or S if you test drive while hungry.
At this point are there any CT preorder people at all that are not hungry?

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
I have never driven a Tesla ^-^

But I have a friend who was a Model 3 reservation holder, and now has a Model X. They sound addictive. He had a Leaf and a Flex before that.

-Crissa

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Disclaimer: you may end up ordering a 3, Y or S if you test drive while hungry.
Bought my Model Y when I got impatient waiting for the truck and figured we'd sell it when we got the truck.

Nope. Going to sell the old Subaru when we get the truck.

Dids

First Name
Les
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
04 Tacoma, 23 Cybertruck
Occupation
Self
Country flag
I have never driven a Tesla ^-^

But I have a friend who was a Model 3 reservation holder, and now has a Model X. They sound addictive. He had a Leaf and a Flex before that.

-Crissa
No "one" ever truly only drives a Tesla, instead they engage, there is moisture and moaning and a fanboi emerges.
Sponsored