Jeep shows working prototype EV... With manual transmission?

FullyGrounded

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
blah
Country flag
https://www.motortrend.com/news/jeeps-magneto-concept-wrangler-ev-photos-details/

JeepMagneto.png

Interesting, and its name is... A major Marvel villain?

I've often wondered bout having a transmission - at least control of one - in an EV. For the most part, it's only really needed for speed, as the motor has the same efficiency in whatever optimal configuration. But having that direct connection to the power available is pretty cool. I rarely use the modes on my Zero, but I do use them.

-Crissa
Adding a transmission only adds complexity - yielding more moving parts to fail. If you don't need it, why have it at all? That's something Elon excels at; finding inefficiencies and eliminating them. It's so nice when you don't have 250 parts that make up your engine, but 25 parts that make up your motor. peace
Sponsored

OP
OP
Crissa

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
That image is in error. (It shows it as having no driving history on the current day they're driving it)

Adding a transmission only adds complexity - yielding more moving parts to fail. If you don't need it, why have it at all?
It does add complexity, but a transmission is no more parts than adding additional motors, and in fact may be fewer.

-Crissa

Ehninger1212

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A3 E-Tron - 2005 Land Rover LR3 - T-Bucket - 1951 chevy 3100
Occupation
Architect/Fabricator
Country flag
I think people need to really take this CONCEPT with a grain of salt. The easiest way to turn this Jeep into an EV for this once a year off road showcase was to create an adapter for the Electric motor to the existing drivetrain and add in some batteries. Its a lot better to adapt the EM to a manual transmission than an automatic. So that is what they did. Same thing I would do in my garage. Dont even need a clutch.. just keep it in 4th gear.

Do not expect the All electric Jeep wrangler to have a manual transmission, I would be surprised if it even has a low range transfer case.

Cybertruckee

Banned
Banned
First Name
Yosemite Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Red Rider
Occupation
Finance Manager
Country flag
https://www.motortrend.com/news/jeeps-magneto-concept-wrangler-ev-photos-details/

JeepMagneto.png

Interesting, and its name is... A major Marvel villain?

I've often wondered bout having a transmission - at least control of one - in an EV. For the most part, it's only really needed for speed, as the motor has the same efficiency in whatever optimal configuration. But having that direct connection to the power available is pretty cool. I rarely use the modes on my Zero, but I do use them.

-Crissa

I prefer manual transmission in my Jeep. It makes for good interplay with clutch in some tricky situations.

I even like the levers to manual engage the 4-wheel drive of the transfer case. I think it was Toyota 4-runner who put a lever instead of a knob. But it's fake as it actually engages electronically.

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L
Occupation
Fun-employed
Country flag
I prefer manual transmission in my Jeep. It makes for good interplay with clutch in some tricky situations.
do you think that’s true in an EV, with no toque curve, etc.?

I’ve wondered. My intuition is I’ll take a straight EV with true 4wheel power and intelligent traction control

imagine the CRAWL of an artificial “granny gear” setting in an EV

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
I do think the Cybertruck would benefit from having a crawl/ slow speed setting. I don’t think it needs 4WD Low (has enough torque), but just something where pushing the gas pedal has a much finer control.

charliemagpie

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CybrBEAST
Occupation
retired
Country flag
Maybe why he loves the CT so much lol
Sponsored