Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Buick Encore, Nissan Sentra, >>> Cybertruck TM
Occupation
Security
Country flag
Apple watch?
i guess a number pad on the vehicle wouldn't be too bad, except for our 3 months of ice and snow storms. It would be nice to unlock and drive with an apple watch (I have the series 3, cellular version|) without having a phone, tesla card, fob or number pad on the vehicle. Does anyone with a tesla happen to know if an apple watch, stand alone, can be set up to unlock and drive a tesla?
Sponsored

Reactions: Jow

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag

xodarap1

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Buick Encore, Nissan Sentra, >>> Cybertruck TM
Occupation
Security
Country flag

OP
OP
SpaceYooper

SpaceYooper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
13' F150, 17' Explorer, 13' Cruz, 13' Clubman
Occupation
Retired USSF SNCO, REALTOR®
Country flag
i guess a number pad on the vehicle wouldn't be too bad, except for our 3 months of ice and snow storms. It would be nice to unlock and drive with an apple watch (I have the series 3, cellular version|) without having a phone, tesla card, fob or number pad on the vehicle. Does anyone with a tesla happen to know if an apple watch, stand alone, can be set up to unlock and drive a tesla?
I live in CO and spend some winter time in MI. My parents are in Michigan's U.P. year round and they also drive fords. Never had a problem in CO or MI with the keypad in the cold, snow or ice.

craz

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dual Motor Cybertruck
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
Hmm. Some places I know of which have your phone predicament provide “cubbies” for personal belongings at the entrance. I would either find a safe space near your work location (I just leave my stuff on the floor sometimes), or request your employer install something. I imagine you aren’t the only worker who would appreciate the addition. In my experience, the FSD cameras will also be an issue, but most employers should have some sort of camera exemption form which is meant for dash cams.

Last edited:

Sirfun

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Chrysler Pacifica PHEV, Ford E-250
Occupation
Retired Sheet Metal Worker
Country flag
I'm a waterman, surfing, windsurfing and lots of water sports. I thought about this problem and found a solution that I think will work for you. Drill a hole in the Keycard and tie a shoestring through it and have it around my neck under my wetsuit.
One other interesting option, I could have my wife unlock the vehicle remotely with a phone call.

MEDICALJMP

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Rav4, Tri-motor Cybertruck
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag
I'm a waterman, surfing, windsurfing and lots of water sports. I thought about this problem and found a solution that I think will work for you. Drill a hole in the Keycard and tie a shoestring through it and have it around my neck under my wetsuit.
One other interesting option, I could have my wife unlock the vehicle remotely with a phone call.
Where are you keeping a cell phone if a keycard is a problem to carry?

I like the RFID ring option that one poster showed Amazon has, didn’t know those were an option. Anyone have experience with them?

Sirfun

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Chrysler Pacifica PHEV, Ford E-250
Occupation
Retired Sheet Metal Worker
Country flag

I like the RFID ring option that one poster showed Amazon has, didn’t know those were an option. Anyone have experience with them?
https://forums.tesla.com/discussion/91069/leaving-phone-in-car
To call the wife I'd have to use someone else's phone. I don't currently have a Tesla, this all all hypothetical for me at this point. I've been doing the shoestring trick with valet keys from key fobs for many years though.

Last edited:

RonM

First Name
Ronald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 F150 CrewCab, future Cybertruck
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I live in CO and spend some winter time in MI. My parents are in Michigan's U.P. year round and they also drive fords. Never had a problem in CO or MI with the keypad in the cold, snow or ice.
To test the other extreme, I live in Miami and windfoil. The only problem I have with the keyless entry on my F150 is in the summer when the temp reaches 100+. I sometime burn my finger tips using the pad ? .

OneLapper

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW 328d Sportswagon
Country flag
Many Prevost motor coaches that are converted to entertainers use the Ford keyless entry system, which includes the key pad and a fob. Almost all the fobs are lost immediately, but in general the driver will keep that with them. The band members are given the key code, and the tour manager will usually have a key to the door as well. I digress......

The key pads do have issues in extreme cold weather, especially an older key pad. And they are not cheap, around $230.

CyberT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Model 3 LR RWD
Occupation
Service Technician
Country flag

Here is a great review of a similar Ring.

OP
OP
SpaceYooper

SpaceYooper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
13' F150, 17' Explorer, 13' Cruz, 13' Clubman
Occupation
Retired USSF SNCO, REALTOR®
Country flag
Many Prevost motor coaches that are converted to entertainers use the Ford keyless entry system, which includes the key pad and a fob. Almost all the fobs are lost immediately, but in general the driver will keep that with them. The band members are given the key code, and the tour manager will usually have a key to the door as well. I digress......

The key pads do have issues in extreme cold weather, especially an older key pad. And they are not cheap, around $230.
Kudos for the timely remark. Key fobs from car companies are not cheap either. At least $200 especially if you have the dealer program the fob. We just spend $230 doing this exact thing yesterday. $150 for the fob, $80 for the dealer to program it.

How old before I should start worrying about my key pad? My parents Taurus SHO was about 20 years old and completed rusted out (lots of salt used in U.P. winters) but it's key pad still worked.
My truck is 7 yrs old; no problems.
Sponsored

Last edited: