First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck Ordered
Country flag
From Drive Tesla Canada

Tesla Cybertruck Location of first CCS compatible "Magic Dock" Tesla Supercharger location potentially revealed 1674391583846-jpe

Tesla accidentally reveals Magic Dock, hints first Supercharger with CCS compatibility will be in Hawthorne

January 21, 2023

Tesla Cybertruck Location of first CCS compatible "Magic Dock" Tesla Supercharger location potentially revealed hawthorne-supercharger-magic-dock-678x381-

Tesla has already opened up their Supercharger network to owners of other electric vehicles (EVs) in more than one dozen countries in Europe, and is expected to do the same in the US this year. In what looks like a blunder, Tesla appears to have accidentally revealed one of the first Superchargers with CCS compatibility will be in Hawthorne, California, and shown the Magic Dock for the very first time.

When Tesla launched the non-Tesla Supercharger Pilot program, the company added a filter to its ‘Find Us’ map in Europe to display Superchargers open to non-Tesla vehicles. On Friday night that same filter was added for the US map. Using the filter revealed just one Supercharger, and that was the one in Hawthorne, just around the corner from the company’s Design Studio. (h/t: @haydensawyer14)

Tesla Cybertruck Location of first CCS compatible "Magic Dock" Tesla Supercharger location potentially revealed hawthorne-supercharger-ccs-
Sponsored

Macgreiner

First Name
Mac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
i3 (sold), S70D(sold), R1200RT, LR3, P3D
Country flag
Interesting, but not super relevant for cybertrucks . . .

MEDICALJMP

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Rav4, Tri-motor Cybertruck
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag
Not relevant to Cybertruck, but for those stock investors of TSLA it shows the company is making rapid changes to increase revenue of via charging other cars. For me, that is very relevant.

electricAK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck dual-motor
Country flag
I'm wondering how the economics of this move pencil out for Tesla. The supercharger network is their biggest competitive advantage, and they will be giving that up. It's a huge giveaway to the OEM's, unless they charge a significantly higher power rate for non-tesla charging?

Or perhaps Tesla believes the OEM's will never really be able to produce enough vehicles in the US, and thus will never threaten their vehicle demand? (nor clog up the supercharger stations with other cars)

I know they get access to Federal money for new superchargers this way, but how is that worth it for the company?

Anyone have insight on how this might play out?

charliemagpie

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CybrBEAST
Occupation
retired
Country flag
From this slither, I will draw a long bow:

Elon says Tesla is growing the charging network 30% per year.

Youtubers have worked out that it costs competitors 250 grand per charger, but only 50 for Tesla.

I did some napkin math, and it worked out that growing at about 30% is plowing all the profits back into the business.

Pretty smart on Elon to make the charging Network self funding.

I can't remember what charging did for the share price around 2030. It is significant for a normal business but a minor blip for Tesla.

If anything, opposition customers get to use the Tesla app and experience Tesla service, and I am guessing one day it will generate savings for the Robotaxi Network.

If profits are being plowed back in, and the installation business is scaling, it won't be long till we have a supercharger overload.

Gurule92

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MYP
Occupation
"Cyber" stuff
Country flag
Interesting, but not super relevant for cybertrucks . . .
It'll be relevant to cybertruck when you go to charge but there are no open stalls

Gurule92

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MYP
Occupation
"Cyber" stuff
Country flag
I'm wondering how the economics of this move pencil out for Tesla. The supercharger network is their biggest competitive advantage, and they will be giving that up. It's a huge giveaway to the OEM's, unless they charge a significantly higher power rate for non-tesla charging?

Or perhaps Tesla believes the OEM's will never really be able to produce enough vehicles in the US, and thus will never threaten their vehicle demand? (nor clog up the supercharger stations with other cars)

I know they get access to Federal money for new superchargers this way, but how is that worth it for the company?

Anyone have insight on how this might play out?
accelerate the advent of sustainable transport

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L
Occupation
Fun-employed
Country flag
accelerate the advent of sustainable transport
this

but at the same time: imagine if Chevy advertised the superior vehicle features over Ford, but when it came time for servicing the Chevy there were few Chevy service stations, and the ones that did exist were known to do poor work and have long lead times. Now imagine if Ford came out and said, hey Chevy owners, we’ll take you - we have a tons of service stations, quick turn-around, and widely agreed great techs... and we’re doing it selflessly, to accelerate the adoption of US pickup truck manufacturers.

far from propping up Chevy’s rep, that would prob be Ford establishing market dominance and a PR wet dream. “Compete” away, Chevy - it’s adorable!

The “problem” for Ford would be if the Chevy customers then created worse service experience for their Ford customers.

With Tesla stations already having lines, spats around people jumping lines, etc., Tesla’s problem seems more likely to be a lack of infra to absorb the traffic and irritate Tesla owners.

But if that concern is offset by Tesla bankrolling additional stations and station distribution off the backs of non-Tesla customer subscription/charging fees, maybe Tesla customers accept the trade-off

ldjessee

First Name
Lloyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Leaf, MYLR, Kaw 1700 Vaquero
Occupation
Business Intelligence Manager & Analyst
Country flag
Other than a few places during high traffic times, there are no lines, there are no spats, issues, etc.
I have seen ICE cars waiting 4 deep on just a Friday afternoon.

Come holidays on busy highways, it is much worse... and that is here in the middle of the country, where population density is no where near what it is on the coasts.

Gas stations have problematic locations as well.

I would not have an issue with a Tesla Supercharger location near my home, but no way would I agree to a gas station.

As far as I know, it is impossible for a Tesla Supercharger location to be come a SuperFund site.

Most gas stations will become a SuperFund site.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
With Tesla stations already having lines, spats around people jumping lines, etc., Tesla’s problem seems more likely to be a lack of infra to absorb the traffic and irritate Tesla owners.
Tesla has more empty stalls and capacity than the other DC networks combined.

-Crissa

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L
Occupation
Fun-employed
Country flag
Tesla has more empty stalls and capacity than the other DC networks combined.

-Crissa
I should hope so!

But is that to suggest that there aren’t locations where there are lines, people ‘cutting’ line, etc.?

Not owning a Tesla, I’ll freely admit to only regurgitation of what others here have reported. I didn’t take it to be necessarily a widespread problem, but instead a problem that would be exacerbated by Tesla opening it’s stations up to all other manufacturers (who would flock to Tesla’s stations over the alternatives).

ldjessee

First Name
Lloyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Leaf, MYLR, Kaw 1700 Vaquero
Occupation
Business Intelligence Manager & Analyst
Country flag
I should hope so!

But is that to suggest that there aren’t locations where there are lines, people ‘cutting’ line, etc.?

Not owning a Tesla, I’ll freely admit to only regurgitation of what others here have reported. I didn’t take it to be necessarily a widespread problem, but instead a problem that would be exacerbated by Tesla opening it’s stations up to all other manufacturers (who would flock to Tesla’s stations over the alternatives).
I recommend watching Out of Spec Reviews and Listen to the last few videos from Sandy Munro.

You could also look at the SuperCharger reviews that Now You Know YouTube Channel host.

As for opening it to others, the funds could be used to open more sites, add solar canopies, and battery packs. That would be like afraid people might buy their gas at Shell instead of Speedway or BP and make your favorite gas station busier.

Tesla is improving their availability software, so the car will know if a station is being maxed out, etc.

charliemagpie

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CybrBEAST
Occupation
retired
Country flag
Installers scaling up 30% as well?

I reckon 30% growth can continue for a long time. 10X 2031.
StationsConnectors
end 224,70042,500

Perhaps ambitious... but it is worth noting that the Tesla Network, which has become serviceable, will double soon. The loose ends will be rectified very quickly.
Sponsored