Make My Roof ALL Solar!

firsttruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Country flag
This may sound a teensy bit harsh, but you guys do seem to know I try to say things straight.

My father was shot and killed through a body panel so I'mma gonna say I think your regard for them as safer than glass is misplaced.

Just because you can't see through something doesn't mean it'll stop a bullet.

-Crissa
Truly sorry about your father.

Regarding looking through a completely obscured/shaded building window, my concern is a shooter easily knows where to aim.

But we are not talking about a standard panel we are talking about Cybertruck 3mm cold-rolled bullet-resistant stainless steel.

I like 3mm better but would still prefer even a 2mm cold-rolled stainless steel roof over a Cybertruck glass roof .

--------------------------------------------------

What are some affordable bulletproof cars?
https://www.quora.com/What-are-some-affordable-bulletproof-cars

Travis Field, AB in Mathematics & Economics, Princeton University (Graduated 1999)
Well, these might be a little known - outside of South Africa. Ford partnered with SVI engineering to provide lightly armored cars to masses in South Africa. It appears that the least expensive package is about $15k USD and goes to $50k, which is far less than full armoring in the US or Mexico.

Ford Ranger now Available with Ford-Approved Armoured Protection
Levek B4 offers customers bullet-resistant protection against handguns up to a .44 Magnum. This is the typical anti-hijack solution that also offers protection against brick-throwing and other hand-held projectiles.
* Ford partners with SVI Engineering to offer armoured protection for the Ford Ranger
* Ranger is the only vehicle in its category with options for OEM-approved armoured protection
* Armoured Rangers can be ordered directly from Ford dealers
8 Jan 2021 | Pretoria, South Africa
https://media.ford.com/content/ford...e-with-Ford-Approved-Armoured-Protection.html

Bulletproof on a budget: forget the limo, Brazil’s bestselling armoured car is a Corolla The market for low-cost and second-hand bulletproof cars is booming.
18 Sep, 2018
Agence France-Presse Agence France-Presse
https://www.scmp.com/news/world/ame...-forget-limo-brazils-bestselling-armoured-car

This is the 40-year-old Paulo’s fourth armoured vehicle.
He got his first armoured car after being robbed while he stopped at a traffic light. The birth of his daughter 18 months ago convinced him he still needs one – while staying frugal.
“I need a bulletproof car because of lack of safety,” he said. “I went for a used car because I’m going to spend less money to move around safely.”
To modify a car costs around US$13,000, pretty much like buying an additional vehicle.

Going for an already used and already armoured vehicle gets the price tag down by between 10 and 40 per cent, according to varying estimates from dealers and owners.

Another big market, Mexico, bulletproofed 2,986 cars in 2017, one of the best years the industry there has had.

How Much Does It Cost to Bulletproof a Car?
It isn't cut-rate to transform your car into an armored vehicle. You should expect to spend approximately $16,000 to $50,000.
By Chris Thompson
Updated: September 1, 2022
https://www.backdoorsurvival.com/how-much-does-it-cost-to-bulletproof-a-car/

Is it cheaper to bulletproof a car or buy a bulletproof car?
A car that comes already bulletproofed from the manufacturer could be slightly more expensive than one that is upgraded with bulletproof parts. A normal Ford Raptor, for example, could cost approximately 54,000. So, to upgrade it to a bulletproof car, you would need around $40,000 to $50,000. But a bulletproof Ford Raptor could cost around $120,000.

Final Words
According to our research, the cost of bulletproofing a car could range from approximately $16,000 to $50,000+. The cost could even be higher for some car makes and models as well as the preferred protection level. We have also seen that bulletproofing a car proves to be slightly more economical than procuring an already bulletproofed vehicle from the manufacturer.

Serenity (3/10) Movie CLIP - The Operative (2006) HD Movieclips - I am not a moron

------

Sponsored

Last edited:

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Then you're probably wrong?

Modern windshields and glass - like the insulated windows in a Tesla - are impregnated with plastics and resist penetration.

Not like a hardened piece of stainless steel, but better than a soft metal body piece.

-Crissa

firsttruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Country flag
Then you're probably wrong?

Modern windshields and glass - like the insulated windows in a Tesla - are impregnated with plastics and resist penetration.

Not like a hardened piece of stainless steel, but better than a soft metal body piece.

-Crissa
Am I missing something?

In the above aren't you saying that hardened piece of stainless steel will resist penetration better than "modern windshields and glass"?

ED_SFO

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
M3
Country flag
Just wanted to point out that with sentry mode on, you lose about 10-12 miles a day from the system staying active. Which would help but won't really add useable mileage.

firsttruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Country flag
Just wanted to point out that with sentry mode on, you lose about 10-12 miles a day from the system staying active. Which would help but won't really add useable mileage.
Sure one day is no big deal.

But if you have to leave the Cybertruck outside for even 5 days but especially for 7 days or more, solar could easily be the difference between returning to a dead battery when you get back or having enough energy left to get to a charger. Several times in my career my ICE car unexpectedly spent more than a week at the home location airport when my return was delayed because issues at the remote client.

Another location you might want to use solar at is if you go on a multi-day or week long hiking/camping trip where you leave the Cybertruck at trailhead and them hike to campsite.
You probably want sentry mode on when you leave it even if you are only a couple hundred feet away.

Last edited:

firsttruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Country flag
Am I missing something?

In the above aren't you saying that hardened piece of stainless steel will resist penetration better than "modern windshields and glass"?
Since no car currently comes with hardened steel body panels...

-Crissa
Huh, I have to re-check which brower window I am typing into.

I thought the discussion was about possible hopefully fairly soon (next 9-12 months) to be released Cybertruck with 3mm cold-rolled stainless steel exoskeleton body.

Why does the fact that "no car currently comes with hardened steel body panels" make any difference.

3mm cold-rolled stainless steel has existed for decades.

"modern windshields and glass" has existed for decades.

So shouldn't we already know if it is likely that 3mm cold-rolled stainless steel will resist penetration better than "modern windshields and glass"?

ED_SFO

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
M3
Country flag
Sure one day is no big deal.

But if you have to leave the Cybertruck outside for even 5 days but especially for 7 days or more, solar could easily be the difference between returning to a dead battery when you get back or having enough energy left to get to a charger. Several times in my career my ICE car unexpectedly spent more than a week at the home location airport when my return was delayed because issues at the remote client.

Another location you might want to use solar at is if you go on a multi-day or week long hiking/camping trip where you leave the Cybertruck at trailhead and them hike to campsite.
You probably want sentry mode on when you leave it even if you are only a couple hundred feet away.
Yes if you have sentry off, solar definitely would help but i always have sentry on except at a camp site if my Y is nearby. Otherwise always on even in driveway.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Huh, I have to re-check which brower window I am typing into.

Why does the fact that "no car currently comes with hardened steel body panels" make any difference.
Because I replied in context with you mentioning prior and current cars you'd buy. Cybertruck can't be in that context... yet.

Clearly I misunderstood your intent, tho ^-^

-Crissa
Sponsored