Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Model 3 LR, 2019 Model 3 SR+
Occupation
Retired Software Engineer, Woodworker and guitar builder extraordinaire
Country flag
So, it's been 2+ years since I sold off my 20 year old Dodge truck (and another ICE car) to help pay for the Model 3 under the premise of "I don't really use the truck that much anyway". Of course, it's been a bit painful, as it's those little situations (as opposed to hauling massive amounts of lumber from Home Dept) that really make you miss it.

My solution simply that I could rent a truck from UHaul when needed.

So last weekend I rented an 8 foot bed F-150 to get lumber for the "she shed" I'm building for the wife. Not entirely altruistic, I want her gardening stuff out of my garage and woodshop!

Of course, Home Depot was out of the trim boards I needed. Now why I didn't just take the rental truck up to Lowes is beyond me, except that it's a bit of drive up there.

So today I checked online and Lowes had everything I needed:

Primed 1x3 and 1x2 pine: 14 pieces
PVC 1x6 trim: 8 pieces.

So I took the model 3 up there figuring that I could also supercharge in the parking lot while I got the lumber. Set the limit to 95% to give me more time and help balance the cells since I rarely SC it.

I took several shopping bags, bungie cords, and "dog towels" to help with securing the load and protecting that vegan leather. I actually put the charger bag under it at the edge of the back seat as well. Pictures below.

Was able to get it all in there just fine. What followed was a very nervous 25 mile drive on 101 at exactly the speed limit to make sure everyone was flying past me and I wouldn't have to slam on the brakes.

Can I make it till 2023?

PS. One thing I learned is that I think I'd rather just pay for delivery on those large loads anyway. By the time we picked out the lumber and sheet goods and got it home, we'd had to move it 3 times (shelf to cart, cart to truck, truck to shop). We are both around 60 years old, I think I'm ready to pay to eliminate two of those!

PSS. Tie down straps better than bungies in the future.

Tesla Cybertruck Making do without the Cybertruck IMG_1579.JPG

Tesla Cybertruck Making do without the Cybertruck IMG_1580.JPG
Tesla Cybertruck Making do without the Cybertruck IMG_1581.JPG
Tesla Cybertruck Making do without the Cybertruck IMG_1582.JPG
Tesla Cybertruck Making do without the Cybertruck IMG_1583.JPG
Tesla Cybertruck Making do without the Cybertruck IMG_1584.JPG
Sponsored

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
One thing I learned is that I think I'd rather just pay for delivery on those large loads anyway. By the time we picked out the lumber and sheet goods and got it home, we'd had to move it 3 times (shelf to cart, cart to truck, truck to shop). We are both around 60 years old, I think I'm ready to pay to eliminate two of those!
This was my observation as well. Even when I still had my truck it made more sense to just have them drop it off. As you suggest, loading, unloading, all that nonsense, it's worth the $40-80 delivery fee. The heavier the load, the easier it is to make that call!

OP
OP
fritter63

fritter63

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
This was my observation as well. Even when I still had my truck it made more sense to just have them drop it off. As you suggest, loading, unloading, all that nonsense, it's worth the $40-80 delivery fee. The heavier the load, the easier it is to make that call!
And some lumber places will do it for free if your bill is high enough

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
So, it's been 2+ years since I sold off my 20 year old Dodge truck (and another ICE car) to help pay for the Model 3 under the premise of "I don't really use the truck that much anyway". Of course, it's been a bit painful, as it's those little situations (as opposed to hauling massive amounts of lumber from Home Dept) that really make you miss it.

So last weekend I rented an 8 foot bed F-150 to get lumber for the "she shed" I'm building for the wife. Not entirely altruistic, I want her gardening stuff out of my garage and woodshop!

Of course, Home Depot was out of the trim boards I needed. Now why I didn't just take the rental truck up to Lowes is beyond me, except that it's a bit of drive up there.

So I took the model 3 up there figuring that I could also supercharge in the parking lot while I got the lumber. Set the limit to 95% to give me more time and help balance the cells since I rarely SC it.

I took several shopping bags, bungie cords, and "dog towels" to help with securing the load and protecting that vegan leather. I actually put the charger bag under it at the edge of the back seat as well. Pictures below.

Was able to get it all in there just fine. What followed was a very nervous 25 mile drive on 101 at exactly the speed limit to make sure everyone was flying past me and I wouldn't have to slam on the brakes.

Can I make it till 2023?

PS. One thing I learned is that I think I'd rather just pay for delivery on those large loads anyway. By the time we picked out the lumber and sheet goods and got it home, we'd had to move it 3 times (shelf to cart, cart to truck, truck to shop). We are both around 60 years old, I think I'm ready to pay to eliminate two of those!

IMG_1579.JPG

IMG_1580.JPG
IMG_1581.JPG
IMG_1582.JPG
IMG_1583.JPG
IMG_1584.JPG
Been there. Good for you.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Gee, I just go down to the corner lumber store across the street from the grocery store and they'll load it for me if I ask.

....And yes, we still have a full-service gas station, too.

-Crissa

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Maybe the forum should be renamed
Gee, I just go down to the corner lumber store across the street from the grocery store and they'll load it for me if I ask.

....And yes, we still have a full-service gas station, too.

-Crissa
They load here locally too if you are willing to wait. They don't come out to my place and unload it though unless I have it delivered.

Cyberman

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150,F550, Escape
Occupation
Cybercontractor
Country flag

Can I make it till 2023?

IMG_1579.JPG

IMG_1580.JPG
IMG_1581.JPG
IMG_1582.JPG
IMG_1583.JPG
IMG_1584.JPG
Question: What is something you've been doing all your life, but are not willing to do the rest of your life?
Answer: Making do without the Cybertruck

VolklKatana

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Website
ts.la
Vehicles
2019 Tesla M3 LR AWD FSD, CT3 reserved
Occupation
Data Architect
Country flag
I am in a very similar situation except mine is a used 2013 model S.

For anyone wondering, you can fit a 24" Ego 2 stage snowblower in the back just fine if you take off the chute and handle. ??

OP
OP
fritter63

fritter63

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
I know, right? ^-^

The Santa Cruz Mountains are the best. I wish our villages had sewer access so they could be as dense as they used to be.
I spent a (college) summer there teaching rock climbing at the Boy Scout camp. Great memories of climbing to the top of "ol' flat top" (a lightning clipped redwood) to watch the sunsets....

1ofafew

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tri Motor
Country flag

Can I make it till 2023?

IMG_1579.JPG

IMG_1580.JPG
IMG_1581.JPG
IMG_1582.JPG
IMG_1583.JPG
IMG_1584.JPG
Feel your pain! Along with my ’16 S P90D I drive an 04 truck, need to get it through another year before I hopefully get my CT. You can take HD up on their $19.99 to use their truck locally…

OP
OP
fritter63

fritter63

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
You can take HD up on their $19.99 to use their truck locally…
The was the plan, but they still don't have it available here......?

Neo

First Name
Neo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Cayenne Turbo | Toyota Highlander Hybrid
Occupation
Professional
Country flag
I bought this Porsche Cayenne Turbo to pull my 6,500lb Toy Hauler Conversion while I patiently wait for the CT...

Tesla Cybertruck Making do without the Cybertruck Porsche & Taj-Ma-Haul