Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Estimator
Country flag
So I work in an industry that is heavily hit by the current increases commodity prices. Most people know it’s crazy right now and it’s not just limber prices. Steel, copper, resins, glass, insulation etc., it’s all significantly increased in cost. The cause of which will be for future economics college courses to hash out. But for now, I have a significant concern that Tesla will find ways to cut cost and will produce a lesser Cybertruck to meet the numbers that they committed to almost 2 years ago. I am torn between preferring that they just up the cost to the real cost like they did with the solar roof vs. blindly believing/hoping that they included everything that they intended too. Or maybe they back some items out that they intended to include and now include them as add options. I guess we may never know. It’s just pretty obvious across their other products that they are needing to increase cost and remove features and since Cybertruck is still in development an no one really knows all the features it’s very likely IMO that they will cut scope to keep the advertised number.
Sponsored

CoyoteJim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, i3, Zero DS, F-250, CT & Aptera res
Occupation
Oracle Database Developer
Country flag
They’ve reduced the cost and added features to the Model 3 over the last two years. Manufacturing costs come down with scale…Tesla is improving their battery tech and at the same time making them cheaper.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Why would they need to increase cost? You mean price?

Tesla has significant profit per car already, higher than legacy automakers, price vs manufacturing cost.

What features would they remove?

-Crissa

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X LR+, Lexus SUV, Toyota SR5, Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
EE (Retired)
Country flag
As most of you know BEV stocks have been battered recently and one, of many, factors cited is fear that the supply of lithium and the transition metals that also go into batteries will be limited. There is no way these cars can be built without these metals and if indeed the supply of them is squeezed the prices of the cars will have to go up. Some analysts are predicting this.

Diehard

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Olds Aurora V8, Saturn Sky redline, Lightning, CT2
Country flag
Tesla prices have been going up. I am not sure if this is due to anticipation of Tax incentives, increase in cost of chips or other supplies, covering Giga Texas, Giga Berlin or future Gigas or simply knowing that heavy demand allows Tesla to get away with it. Regardless of which one it is, all of those possible causes can apply to CT as well. I don’t see too much pressure from competition to keep prices down. All of them are more expensive than CT and even Lightening Pro price is still on paper. Until I see one on the street, I am not convinced they can make it in large numbers at that price. With this many reservations for CT, it would be naive to think prices can not go up.
Sponsored