Maybe I shouldn't wait for the CT anymore.

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
That’s a scientifically unfounded statement. It was an unusual weather event, but it is beyond our scientific ability to say it was caused by human-produced greenhouse gases. The coldest day recorded in Texas was in 1933. Was it directly caused by climate change?
Laugha while you can, monkey boy :) True that it was an unusual weather event. That is exactly what global warming is about, LOTS of them.
Sponsored

Old Pro

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I own a 2006 Toyota Tacoma and 2018 Tesla Model 3,
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
"Earth's Surface Gaining Coastal Land Area, Despite Sea Level Rise"

All depends where you are.

Flooding is NOT an important issue considering many populated areas were built on or around "flood plains" - now couple that with houses, roads, parking lots, other buildings, small drainage pipes... which displace water and DON'T allow the land to do its natural absorption and funneling when required.

I would have to do a little more research, but, I read that the Earth is "going off" its axis ( True North and South are moving but NOT in leaps and bounds tho) which can and could contribute to various coastal erosions here and gains there.
And all this time I thought the Earth was Flat!

Old Pro

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I own a 2006 Toyota Tacoma and 2018 Tesla Model 3,
Occupation
Retired
Country flag

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
I don't know where you-all live but sealevel rise is very real in the Bay Area. Has anyone moved yet because of it? I do not know, but the ABAG (associated bay area governments?) have been planning sealevel rise mitigation for years and right now today they are raising the sea wall in Foster City and San Mateo by what looks to be 6' for just this kind of thing. There was a referendum vote and the people had the choice of paying for sea wall rise or increases to their insurance premiums. Big surprise, they chose the former. I don't particularly give a damn what the cause of sealevel rise is, but it is a fact that sea levels are rising. It is a fact that glaciers are melting and that antarctic ice is calving in ever-increasing amounts. Go where you want to with this. Personally I prefer to do something than to do nothing. The chicken littles are really the do nothing crowd.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Has anyone moved yet because of it?
Not related to sea level rise, but we moved out of California Central Valley due to heat and smoke about 4 years ago (a move we'd planned for more than 10 years).

In retrospect, it was really good timing, since we moved the number of 100+ days is way up, the number of 110+ days is up, the amount of smoke in the Central Valley is way up. Recreation options from where we lived is way **down**. Many of my favorite places to ride from there have burned or are burning right now (today).

Oregon is worse than it was, but not near California bad. Trying to figure out if we should migrate again or get a second house towards the coast.

rr6013

First Name
Rex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
shorttakes.substack.com
Vehicles
1997 Tahoe 2 door 4x4
Occupation
Retired software developer and heavy commercial design builder
Country flag
I don't know where you-all live but sealevel rise is very real in the Bay Area. Has anyone moved yet because of it? <Snip>
2019 writing was on the wall. Moved from Marin Harbot Point from an apartment over the waters of SFBay. It would be first impacted.
Tesla Cybertruck Maybe I shouldn't wait for the CT anymore. 1AC7AFD0-46C1-45F4-AD8E-95459528A172

Diehard

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Olds Aurora V8, Saturn Sky redline, Lightning, CT2
Country flag
This made me think may be "I should wait for for CT some more":

Tesla Cybertruck Maybe I shouldn't wait for the CT anymore. 1631231490981

Audi is ICE, Tesla is model S has a bit more range than Ford.

The video goes through more details:

Last edited:

2000prerunner

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Toyota Tacoma
Occupation
BSer
Country flag
buy a truck with blown ICE motor and do EV conversion at a shop that has expertise in EV conversions and tesla motors /batteries on hand. 20-40k. Bam , EV pickup.

Dirt Worker

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvair Corsa, Mini Cooper, T880 Kenworth, CT
Occupation
Excavation Company
Country flag
You have another year to wait.

The production of a vehicle costs energy, so replacing a car has an environmental impact.

The weather in Texas last week was a direct result of climate instability caused by global warming.

-Crissa
Starlink needs to make bigger satellites to shade the planet. Global cooling and better violins (Stradivarius joke).

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
Stunning that they had so many broken/ down/ defective chargers.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
New Tesla Charging station being built in 92131!
I've been to Tesla chargers in 5 cities and I've only seen a single charger offline and that was reflected in the app. One out of 8 at that station.

It's bad to have a charger off-line. It's unforgivable to have people drive 200 miles expecting it to be functioning then make them drive another 30+ miles to seek out another one. This is the kind of nonsense that leaves people stranded.

Even after they "smartened up" and used an app with better reporting, they *still* ended up with a bad charging experience.

Diehard

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Olds Aurora V8, Saturn Sky redline, Lightning, CT2
Country flag
I've been to Tesla chargers in 5 cities and I've only seen a single charger offline and that was reflected in the app. One out of 8 at that station.

It's bad to have a charger off-line. It's unforgivable to have people drive 200 miles expecting it to be functioning then make them drive another 30+ miles to seek out another one. This is the kind of nonsense that leaves people stranded.

Even after they "smartened up" and used an app with better reporting, they *still* ended up with a bad charging experience.

Without knowing anything about practicality and technical aspect of it, I think it should be required for any new EVs sold to be able to fast charge other EVs. Also be a part of an SOS netwrok so if you are close to a stranded EV and you have a high SOC, you get a notification and can juice them up enough to get to the next charging station. Kinda an EV Jump. I know Tesla's typically don't need help but even a CT may be able to use help if you are towing in boonies in winter.
Sponsored