Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'18 F150, '23 MY, '24 CT, '23 Maveric hybrid soon
Occupation
Operations Planner
Country flag
Watching Joe Tegtmeyer's video or Maybe Jeff Roberts' video, I was wondering why they had to have guys push the car into place. Is it possible they are lacking drivetrain? Batteries? I know it's a structural pack but still... Why would they have to push one? And car covers... Why car covers? It's not like they'll ship with covers on like that. Those covers can't even handle the light breezes of the last couple of days much less a 70-mph blast down the highway. Maybe Texas Dealer network has worked some kind of legislation where you aren't even allowed to have your cars visible if you don't have a dealership... Kidding on that last one.

android04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Tesla Model 3 LR RWD, Tesla Cybertruck Tri-motor (reserved)
Country flag
Watching Joe Tegtmeyer's video or Maybe Jeff Roberts' video, I was wondering why they had to have guys push the car into place. Is it possible they are lacking drivetrain? Batteries? I know it's a structural pack but still... Why would they have to push one? And car covers... Why car covers? It's not like they'll ship with covers on like that. Those covers can't even handle the light breezes of the last couple of days much less a 70-mph blast down the highway. Maybe Texas Dealer network has worked some kind of legislation where you aren't even allowed to have your cars visible if you don't have a dealership... Kidding on that last one.
Perhaps they are short of some microchip or other component that the car needs to drive, and Tesla is parking them in an almost-finished state until they come in.

OP
OP
hridge2020

hridge2020

First Name
Henry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla
Occupation
Aircraft Fixed/Rotary - Rocket/Missile/Spacecraft/Air Defense Scientist
Country flag
Perhaps they are short of some microchip or other component that the car needs to drive, and Tesla is parking them in an almost-finished state until they come in.

Looks like they drive the vehicles up close, then push them into place..

TyPope

First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'18 F150, '23 MY, '24 CT, '23 Maveric hybrid soon
Occupation
Operations Planner
Country flag
Most likely, these cars are in varying states of completeness and are being prepped for shipment to a testing facility. Well, some of them, anyway. NHTSA will need to test the cats with front and rear castings and structural battery packs as all that affects crash stuff. I suppose.

Cyberman

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150,F550, Escape
Occupation
Cybercontractor
Country flag
I imagine that without the final permit to start production, they technically can't build & sell cars...yet

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
I imagine that without the final permit to start production, they technically can't build & sell cars...yet
From what I understand, Texas can build cars, they just canā€™t sell them until the final EPA approvals are through. So they can stockpile cars, work on ramping up the production speed, and sell them once the EPA certification is finalized.

In Berlin apparently they will have to destroy cars built before their final permitting. Itā€™s the environmentally friendly thing to do I guess?

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Well, that can't exactly be true, because they're sending the cars from Berlin to all of the countries they're going to import them at, for verification.

Many of the verification tests are destructive, though, so maybe it doesn't matter.

-Crissa

Last edited:

happy intruder

First Name
O. K.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3 Jun 2019..... Model S Jan 2020
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
they can build but cant deliver to customers...only to test centers

Edit: sorry, I did not see Criss's text before I pushed send
Sponsored