Throwcomputer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
07 Ridgeline, Vintage Vespas, 02 Harley Sportster
Occupation
TV & Film
Country flag
I know a number of Americans that celebrate Musk because he is showing America how to gain back the manufacturing edge that they lost decades ago with the Japanese auto invasion of the 1970's. Japan was able to do that because American manufacturers had a lacksidasial attitude towards employing state-of-the-art technologies and manufacturing techniques to improve quality and reduce costs. Manufacturing is more important to our quality of life than most people realize.

I don't celebrate geniuses for the sake of their brilliance, I celebrate people who do the hard work and risk everything to make real differences in the world. Smartness doesn't improve the world, taking action does. The world is full of geniuses that have never accomplished anything in their lives.

I think exceptionalism is worth celebrating and I have a "homework" assignment for those who disagree:

Set aside two hours and watch the movie "Idiocracy". It's a light-hearted look at the path we are on without people like Elon Musk.

Note: the movie is not about Musk, nor does it mention him.
Idiocracy is a great movie. Musk is not in any way related to it. And to think that he is leading us away from that path is yet another form of worshipping him. He's not our savior. Some of his projects might help, but he alone will not save us.
Sponsored

HaulingAss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150, 2018 Model 3 P, FS DM Cybertruck
Country flag
The problem with your “challenge,” is that it’s already so value-laden with what *you* view as “important.” So, I could name people who, for example, have contributed to saving innumerable actual lives *today* in changing the paradigms of medicine, physics, mathematics, etc., and - I suspect - your response will amount to something along the lines of “but is it a cool, fast, car!?!”
No, I challenged you to name someone as "impactful" as Musk, not as "important" as Musk. Specifically, in a way that benefits humanity. Not last century, we are now in the 21st Century.

Most people are not even aware of what Musk is actively bringing to modern manufacturing and corporate structure. Other corporations are already starting to realize how bloated and inefficient they are and are frantically scrambling to catch up to Tesla and SpaceX's way of doing things. It's a restructuring of the way in which corporations think about the big challeges facing them and how they solve them in an efficient manner. This is starting to massively transform industry to work better for humanity. Inefficiencies are a worse tax on humanity than even the highest taxes imposed by any government.

Many people don't understand this yet but the benefits will be massive. I celebrate Musk because I want humanity to succeed.

But, of course Musk's benefits to humanity goes beyond that. You mention people saving lives. Musk has saved lives through many different avenues, from raising the bar in automotive safety (each year, 1.3 million people are killed on roadways around the world) to decreasing the number of premature deaths from air pollution. The World Health Organization has calculated that there are about 7 million deaths each and every year attributable to air pollution. Not all of that pollution comes from vehicular exhaust, but it provides an idea of how big the problem is.

It's critical to solve the source of tailpipe emissions that are in closest proximity to the air humans breathe and the auto industy's race to electricfication was forced by Tesla who threatens to decimate multi-billion dollar automakers if they can't switch quickly enough. Musk has greatly accelerated humanity on their path away from the age of oil into the age of technology and sustainability.

I don't blame you for not being able to name anyone else as impactful as this but don't try to hide behind the shield that "good" or "important" are subjective. There is no question that reducing deaths and increaing efficiencies are good for humans. It's only subjective if you want humanity to fail.

Last edited:

HaulingAss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Idiocracy is a great movie. Musk is not in any way related to it. And to think that he is leading us away from that path is yet another form of worshipping him. He's not our savior. Some of his projects might help, but he alone will not save us.
Using words like "savior" and "worship" are not helpful or productive. I'm not talking about worship or being a savior, I'm talking about celebrating hard work, leadership and exceptionalism.

Musk isn't the only one worth celebrating, but the benefits he is bringing to humanity are difficult to compete with. Fortunately, there are others doing good hard work in fields that Musk doesn't participate. But since energy and sustainability are two of the largest problems facing the viability of our way of life and our standard of living, his accomplishments will naturally have an out-sized impact on all of humanity.

I think that's worth celebrating. Celebrating someone's accomplishments is not worship and Musk is a human leader, not a "savior". People who attack him seem to feel threatened by his accomplishments relative to their own.

HaulingAss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
https://www.thenationalnews.com/bus...uch-on-my-plate-says-twitter-owner-elon-musk/

Elon looks more like a Sociopath every day. It will be a real shame if he blows it all up due to a lack of impulse control.
That article is more than a week old!

It's not a good look to call the man working so hard to fix the ills of Twitter a "sociopath".

But I'm not going to argue to try to beat some sense into you. Let's meet back here in 10 years and see who has done the most to improve our daily lives, you or Musk.

Throwcomputer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
07 Ridgeline, Vintage Vespas, 02 Harley Sportster
Occupation
TV & Film
Country flag
Using words like "savior" and "worship" are not helpful or productive. I'm not talking about worship or being a savior, I'm talking about celebrating hard work, leadership and exceptionalism.

Musk isn't the only one worth celebrating, but the benefits he is bringing to humanity are difficult to compete with. Fortunately, there are others doing good hard work in fields that Musk doesn't participate. But since energy and sustainability are two of the largest problems facing the viability of our way of life and our standard of living, his accomplishments will naturally have an out-sized impact on all of humanity.

I think that's worth celebrating. Celebrating someone's accomplishments is not worship and Musk is a human leader, not a "savior". People who attack him seem to feel threatened by his accomplishments relative to their own.
Im not threatened by his accomplishments relative to my own. Im pointing out that celebrating someones accomplishments and hard work while overlooking their severely flawed character is re-enforcing/rewarding/and or ignoring their bad behavior. I don't need to spend my time pointing out all the examples of his flaws that he makes no effort to hide or apologize for.

I love the CT. I literally can't stand the man behind the curtain. The obsession with him on this forum is kinda disturbing.

HaulingAss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Im not threatened by his accomplishments relative to my own. Im pointing out that celebrating someones accomplishments and hard work while overlooking their severely flawed character is re-enforcing/rewarding/and or ignoring their bad behavior. I don't need to spend my time pointing out all the examples of his flaws that he makes no effort to hide or apologize for.

I love the CT. I literally can't stand the man behind the curtain. The obsession with him on this forum is kinda disturbing.
You and other Musk detractors are the one that seems obsessed with the man, continually attacking Elon Musk's "character" without anything but some silly tweets as evidence. We know he's only human so, to me, that sounds like someone who feels threatened, who attempts to elevate their own character above his without providing any evidence that you have more character than he does.

Good luck with that.

Ogre

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag

hridge2020

First Name
Henry