Administrator
Staff member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CYBERTRUCK
Country flag
Overnight, Elon Musk tweeted this poll asking for votes for "Giga Texas?"

So, it appears that a Giga Texas factory is being considered or already decided upon. Tesla has a good problem on its hands - with imminent Model Y deliveries and a decision yet to be made (or announced) on where it will produce the Cybertruck (which has already received enough reservations requiring years to fill).

A Giga Texas factory would certainly make sense as a new manufacturing site to handle the Cybertruck production. Texas also happens to be a crucial market for pickup truck sales, which could help the Cybertruck's sales and image among the traditional pickup fans/buyers.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Garden_Aum

First Name
Howard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Prius Prime, Nissan Leaf, Tri Motor Cyber Truck
Occupation
Researcher
Country flag
It would be a strategic move that may help with issues that NADA has with Tesla direct sales in that state. Also, having a production facility in Texas will help diversify their oil dependent economy. As for location, I would look at Austin, Texas because of its embrace of renewable energy. Another option would be to locate existing production facilities that have been closed; there will be under utilized workforce to select employees from.

BryanMorera

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Dodge Ram 1500
Occupation
Attorney
Country flag
Texas makes a lot of sense.

Additionally, while some people don't like the idea of rewarding a state that have allowed the oil industry to prosper (see tweet below), I think the opposite is true. The only way to effect real change is from the inside. By building a gigafactory in Texas, employing hundreds or thousands of Texans, and establishing a presence in Texas, Tesla can win the hearts and minds of many Texans that are still not pursuaded that electric is the way to go.

Tesla Cybertruck Musk teases Giga Texas factory - for Cybertruck production? 1580917956093

Last edited by a moderator:

SONNYDUT

First Name
Sonny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus GX470, 3x Audi A3, Honda Van, Model S, Tri-Motor Cybertruck
Occupation
CAD Designer
Country flag

Mule Ferguson

First Name
Mule
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model X, Model P3D+, F150. Cybertruck Tri Motor
Occupation
House Husband
Country flag
Tesla first had a Showroom in Raleigh that you could buy a Tesla. When Charlotte opened they could not sell you a Tesla. Car Dealer's lobbing.. This past year they finally let them sell.

drcarric2650

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
98 F150
Country flag
I'm sure Tesla won't build there without incentives that would promote their cars and other green goals, or at least not interfere with their goals.

DMC-81

First Name
Dana
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Transformers Camaro SS, 1985 Corvette Z51, Dodge Magnum R/T, 1981 DeLorean, CT reservation
Country flag
I agree. Texas would be a great site for all the reasons listed above.

It's also near the middle of the country East-West wise.

Question: Does Tesla allow you to arrange to see your vehicle being assembled (at least partially) and take delivery right at the factory the same as Corvette does?

If so, as a bonus, I could more easily take delivery at the factory and drive it home to Florida.

Sirfun

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, Chrysler Pacifica PHEV, Ford E-250
Occupation
Retired Sheet Metal Worker
Country flag
Texas makes a lot of sense. I think there are a lot of people in the U.S. that don't like California and having Trucks built in the south would give some of those people a better feeling about Tesla. Also It would be easier and cost effective to ship over seas.

Deleted member 859

We Texans drive a lot of Trucks. Part of the appeal is the comfort on long trips with family, this is a very large state with wide open space and great highways. The other appeal is the versatility when doing outdoor activities. San Antonio would be a great place for the Cybertruck factory. We already have a Toyota plant producing Tacoma and Tundra trucks. The rail lines are already in place for distribution to the rest of the country. We are only 150 miles from the Mexican border for export to the south.

We have a lot of sun here so a solar panel option on the Cybertruck would be awesome.

Regarding the ability to buy a Tesla in Texas, I ordered our Model S P85 online in December 2013 and took delivery February 2014 in Austin. We have been able to get Tesla cars here for many years. We've had our own show room and service center here in San Antonio for a couple years now. I've seen hundreds of Tesla automobiles San Antonio, Austin and Dallas where I drive.
Sponsored