My solution for windshield wiper design! What do you think?

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
The only thing we know for certain is that Tesla is still working on the wiper solution and that 'nothing' we see should be considered the production solution.
Sponsored

anionic1

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Estimator
Country flag
I guess you never built a real linear drive? With my 40+ in automation and electromechanical design I know that linear drive must have at least 1:3 relation between the guide thickness and the slide length just to start moving. For the reliably working drive that rate should be 1:10. And the slide length is a dead space on a windshield. The rollers should have a min. gap, otherwise the drive will jam. Any torque created by off axis resistance (here sticky insect on a windshield) creates huge jamming force. The dust on a guide under the rollers kills that drive. Sinchronized drive on the both sides of a bridge/vertical bar mechanically is very complex, and non sinchronized will jam. There are many more problems.
From the other side the DC gearmotor has good protection from contamination and is extremely reliable. I designed the test stations for automotive part environment testing where used those gearmotors to drive the multi-million cycle tests in the harshest conditions in a temperature chamber. The gearmotors never failed.
That is a very big topic with tons of details. Sorry, no time for wider explanations.
So you are saying there is a chance it could work.